Cruise Control retrofit problem

mechanic69

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
Just retrofitted cruise to my 54 plate 8P 3.2 sport. mechanical installation now completed including repair wire to the (xxxxing) annoying blue connector. I coded the steering wheel and engine and the ECU sees the CCS. Block 066 states the switches, clutch brake etc, work. All the CC actions seem to register except for the set button. But when driving I cant activate the cruise.

I've read loads of threads on this but cant seem to find a solution.

Any ideas where I've gone wrong????

Which threads have you read ?

If you have steering ecu 1K0 ----- then the set button will not work.

There is a current thread on this and literally dozens of others. I have explained the situation many times, including in the past two hours !

To activate your cc pull the stalk towards you first and then push downwards at the desired speed to activate. Once activated then push the stalk up to increase and down to decrease. Push away from you to de-activate.

If you want the set button to work then you need to get another ecu ref 8P0------F (approx £160)

Thanks Mike, just been reading your latest help thanks. I have the midline steering module as you have stated. Will test tomorrow thanks for the help.

Looked on ebay 8P0 953 549 F which is for 3 door is 187 quid - alot for the extra functions

Last edited:
If you can't get the green light to come on the dash then it may not be fully coded correctly.
Go into the steering controller and deactivate cruise and then deactivate it from the engine controller... Then reactivate the engine controller first and then the steering controller.
I have been caught out in the past when doing customer cars by coding the steering controller first, for some reason it just throws you out and won't work until you turn it all off and then turn it on again in the right order

Ash, the best thing that works EVERY time for me mate, and you know how many cruise jobs I have done mate, even if I don't use my own, lol, once everything is installed, clear all faults, then code the steering module first, then code the engine module. As soon as engine module has been coded and accepted, it is vital that you turn the ignition OFF for at least 30 secs.
Works 100% of the time for me on A3/4/5/6 TT etc. :)

Thanks Ash and Danny, too differing opinions there. Tried both methods and no luck. The engine module sees the cruise and so does the steering module. Checked blocks 066 and the steering blocks cruise is operating!!! But will it activate no. Maybe the clutch switch is stopping it? It does switch from 0 to 1 in block 066 so I thought it was OK.

Any other ideas????

Done some investigation and theres a lot of posts about replacing the steering controller to a 8P0953549F, I have a 1KO 953 549 A fitted, does that work with cruise? Do you reckon its worth changing? I've also seen a 8P0953549H for a hundred quid less but says 4 door only why would that matter?

This will give you a clue as to what you need for CC :- Steering Wheel Control Module Versions - Ross-Tech Wiki

You don't say what year your car is, which can make a difference.

You would only need to get 8P0 version F if you wanted to fit mfsw.

Not sure about version H (need some research) but 3 door or 4 door shouldn't make any difference. Basically, you need a highline ecu and DIS which has 3 separate sections to install mfsw.

I have a 54 plate 3.2. The engine and steering modules see the cruise in VCDS but it wont activate, thought the steering module may need changing. I have been told it only works in alternative mode with my steering module but I cant even get that to work. The resume function doesnt seem to register in block 066.

The resume and set function will not register in vcds.
You can also check this in the steering module 16, measuring block 004.
As Mike already stated, to activate you pull forward first then down and to resume you have to pull forward then push up. May be a bit of daft question, but are you sure you inserted the wire into the correct slots. Should be Pin 13 on the steering module to Pin 4 of the blue connector.
Iirc, if the wire is not fitted correctly or in the right slots then you will get a fault code in vcds with something like impulsable signal.

Just another thought, you said you checked the clutch switch, but what about the brake switch as this to will give you problems if faulty.

Pretty sure the wire is in the correct slots, the black plug is numbered but the blue plug is not so i fitted it in the top between two wires in 3 & 5? the plug had a matching wire and I get no fault codes. Also the engine module sees the cruise in block 066 so I guess the wiring is good. have read that teh clutch switch could stop it working even though it looks ok in block 066 so thats next to change. I get the alternative mode but it still doesnt work

brake and clutch switches both go from 0 to 1 in block 066 doesnt that mean they are OK?

It would indicate that they are fine mate.

If your anywhere near London, then I would be happy to try and sort the problem out mate.

I,ve read that the clutch switch can be faulty even when looking like it works.

I,m near reading but have a brother in east finchley you near there might take you up on your offer.

I am not too far from east finchley, further along the A406 in Edmonton mate. I'll PM you my mob if you want to arrange something.

Ive done my 2005 with cruise and mfsw and had to fit a 8P0953549F steering module, I actually got sent two new ones so have a brAnd new spare for £140 if you want it, all boxed totally unused. And this module activates all functions