Another dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodster

Reaction score
Website
www.brotek.co.uk
Have been pondering over this for a while now so here goes.

I've only had my S3 for 4-5 months now and get bored with cars after about 6 months. I hate to say it but I really like the look of the new GT86........So much so I've booked a test drive in one. The reviews on it are amazing but can I part with the S3 for something of slightly poorer build quality. Now my intention was always to get an RS3 late next year or early 2014 so I will be back in an Audi soon. I dunno????

I hate these kind of decisions

I'd think very carefully before going down that route especially if you were thinking of an RS3 later.

The trade in value of your S3 would no doubt be better plus the S3 can be made to handle and go better than the GT86.

Reactions: GvZ
I know this but theres something about the GT86 I like. I will see tomorrow as I have test drive booked for 1 o clock. If the GT86 is a bag o nails then fine but the reviews on it are very good so will see for myself. The route was always going to be an RS3 but I didnt wanna blow the majority of my gratuity money on fully loaded one thats why I went for the S3 first. I shall give it a good 'ol raggin even if the salesman is a ponce.

Apparently the GT86 is a great handling car and extremely well balanced.

Have you thought about build quality and road noise etc? My personal experience of Jap cars are they are a little dull and boring inside and never seem to have a good build quality. The S3 is a cracking little car and surprises a lot of people with a few simple mods.

Test drive the GT86 either way you will make your mind up.

Hmm - tell that to my Mrs who hasn't had a fault yet on her ten year old MX-5 Sport, where as shall we say I had a number of issues with both the Mark IV Golf GTi and A3 TDi that I have owned in that time.

It is even still on the original bulbs at 10 years old and 65K miles.

Mind didn't stop me going for a VAG car again this time.

Paul

Try and get in a few miles on a decent B-road and twisty A-road, i've test driven both the Toyota and Subaru and i didn't like either.

The car in itself are ok, biggest problem i had was the motors.
Very little low down torque so they really needed the nuts reving of them to get anywhere, unfortunately the motors felt absolutely terrible when rev'd.
Really buzzy and souless.

First 10 mins was kinda fun, but after that they both felt terrible.

The Toyota seemed to roll a little more on turn in, but also seemed a little more playful with oversteer.
The Subaru seemed to feel a little more responsive and taught handling wise.

I'm in no doubt that when turbo or supercharged they'll both make great cars, as they are as standard though to be honest a bog basic MX5 feels more fun for a LOT less money.

You'll also get completely nailed with depreciation as everyone will be clambering to buy these cars now, 6 months down the line when they become more common on the roads their resale value is going to plummet.

If it was me i'd wait and buy the car you want later.

I get board of cars very quickly aswell, the longest i have kept a car is 8 months. I sold my last s3 and bought a mk2 focus rs, really quick car and great fun to drive... but its not a audi. I sold it after a month and bought another s3.. i wont be changing cars again now untill there's a audi or vw that i really want..

I used to get bored and change my cars every 18 months or so.
I am now on my third S3 in a row , and the last 225 S3 ownership was +9years.
Strangely while the first 2 were modded,, I havent felt the need to on this latest one.
Currently, I would like to have a Low miler RS3 in a couple of years once they have depreciated a bit like the TTRS have.

I'm not sure you'll get long term thrills on these initial versions, but the next versions are supposed to be more powerful so may offer a better solution.

It's hard to be objective as I've never owned a car outside the VW group (9 of them in 22 years), but I've NEVER ever sat in a Japanese car of any type and thought 'this feels like a really quality product'. Yes some are amazing exercises in technical engineering, but would I want to sit there all day long???

And then there's N8. Still loving his car which he bought 4.5 years ago, modded it since day 1, still modding it, still more to do, absolutely loves the car after all that time :laugh:

I must be a weirdo :ninja:

Reactions: OVRA3
0-62 in 7.6??? Is there only the one engine available?

0-62 in 7.6??? Is there only the one engine available?

Yeah they aren't very fast at all apparently and only the one 2.0 boxer engine availible. Mark, I think that you would be very bored in it and would miss the power/feel/quality of the S3 almost instantly... I thought about getting one of these but against the A4 it just didn't have anything better for me.

Well thanks for the comments guys. Just about to head off into Edinburgh to give this thing a good old drive. Will let you know all about it when I return home.

For your information, im on the phone to mark right now, so there. :) x

And then there's N8. Still loving his car which he bought 4.5 years ago, modded it since day 1, still modding it, still more to do, absolutely loves the car after all that time :laugh:

I must be a weirdo :ninja:
i must agree with you, have my s3 for over 3 years now. love it. started modding it as soon the running in period was done.
everytime i go for a drive it makes me smile, it's good quality, good interior, really quick, and fun to drive, lots of modding options that keeps you going on (and keep your pockets empty) and the economy is good for that kind of power.
obviously i have little suspension mods that takes it to the another level and makes driving experience on b roads special.
really don't know what other car would make me satisfied it that price range.

just my opinion..
so there are more weirdos here :beerchug:

Reactions: N8
OMG She can half talk can our Sandra.........Right then back from ye old test drive. The GT86 is a nice car but its screaming out to be turbo-charged. The boxer engine is kind of docile up to about 6000rpm so its needing a bit of a power injection. It red-lines at 9000rpm BTW. Above say 6500rpm the engine starts to sing at you and the power then comes in quite strong but being used to the S3 turbo power I was kind of disappointed with its 200bhp. The gearbox I loved with its short-shift.....If anyone has driven an MX-5 then it feels very similar to that. Ride quality was good and it handled very well on the 5-6 miles of twisties we went on. Interior slightly bland with carbon fibre dashboard which I didnt like. Nice twin coloured alcantara seats which gripped really well and didnt allow any body movement as I was giving it some wellie. As its a 2+2 the rear passengers would have to be amputees as there is NO leg room whatsoever behind the front seats. It certainly doesn't have the build quality of an Audi and the actual garage itself is very tired looking and doesn't come near the quality of Audi Edinburgh or Glasgow. Overall I enjoyed the 80 mins test drive. The sales boy just gave me the keys and said go wherever you like so I did. The major negative is that they will not deal whatsoever on it.....so its a no brainer for me. When I buy a car I look at getting a big discount but they wont budge. He said £500 was about it. Took some pics of the car I would have, so see below.
Anyone know why they call it the GT86???

IMAG0202.jpg

IMAG0203.jpg

IMAG0205.jpg

Reactions: Sandra
I test drove the one that came here to be remapped. I drove it before and after. I liked it and he preferred the S3. He's loving the new power of his Golf R though and gets a slight increase in MPG.....nice one!!

test driving, as N8 puts it, Jap Crap (like that one N8!) shame on you lad :beee: its got to be :kissmyrings:

only jokin lad your still on my friends list :friends:

i do not like the gt86 one bit
i think it looks dated and only 200bhp whats that all about

there is the subaru brz it look a little better but still the inside looks very plasticy

rear wheel drive not great in the winter but fun,,,

it took them forever to get these cars into production aswell

if your budget is 20-30k and all wheel drive and a smile on your face everytime you floor it or rev it how about an rs4 b7 ?

Anyone know why they call it the GT86???

It's nicked the 86 off the AE86

I think you pretty much had the same sort of experience as me.

Although i will say that people that think Audi's are a fun drive REALLY need to get out more and sample other cars.
Likewise the folks saying 200bhp is not enough really need to do a bit more reading.

Jump in a FI'd 200bhp MX5, standard elise, Atom or Caterham and tell me they're not a fun drive.

Its called the GT86 as the engine ports and exhaust tips are 86mm......apparently!!

DiscoStu - The Subaru BCZ and the GT86 are almost identical (same engine, transmission and almost identical interior) The only difference is the GT86 has a deeper front wing and rear valance. I nipped into the Subaru garage in Penicuik on the way to the Toyota garage just to have a look myself. So when you say the Scooby looks better........have another look with both cars together. When they were released even the top car mags got them mixed up.

Last edited:
There's a saying.

Jap Crap.

Didn't expect this kind of nonsense on this board ... I owned an S2000 and it was the most fun I had with a car. Build quality was superb and I never had one problem with it. Drove across France, Monaco, Italy and Switzerland - fantastic !! Yes it didn't have low down torque but then I'm no speed demon ...I did however hit 150mph heading back up to Bologne.

i must agree with you, have my s3 for over 3 years now. love it. started modding it as soon the running in period was done.
everytime i go for a drive it makes me smile, it's good quality, good interior, really quick, and fun to drive, lots of modding options that keeps you going on (and keep your pockets empty) and the economy is good for that kind of power.
obviously i have little suspension mods that takes it to the another level and makes driving experience on b roads special.
really don't know what other car would make me satisfied it that price range.

just my opinion..
so there are more weirdos here :beerchug:

That's great to hear my friend, really is. I don't drive my car hard, as I like running BIG wheels & little tyres :laugh: But it costs £160 year to tax, does 500+ miles to a tank, so I can't really argue. It looks good & doesn't cost me a fortune to run, costs very little.

Plus once I sort this hybrid turbo out I'll have the best of both worlds! :wub:

:iagree: had a few cars in my time but i cant recall buying or wanting a jap car. one of my mates has a 370z but only got it as he could'nt afford a TTRS or TTS. everyone is entitled to an opinion and its just lucky some just know better than others :p

And who actually said I was going to buy one?????? Not me. I said i liked the look of it and wanted to test drive it which I did and I prefer the S3 so stop yer wingin' youz lot or Ill get mad and you wouldnt like me when Im mad........I change colour.

Reactions: Kelza
And who actually said I was going to buy one?????? Not me. I said i liked the look of it and wanted to test drive it which I did and I prefer the S3 so stop yer wingin' youz lot or Ill get mad and you wouldnt like me when Im mad........I change colour.

lmao@you changing colour Mark. :) x

think i know what was wrong in your test drive.... You werent sporting the SEXIEST rear spoiler ever hahahahaha

Toyota-GT-86-test-drive-485x323.jpg

You have one of nicest S3's, with the BBS CK's on, really nice ride height..... cant believe you even thought about the darkside :angrymod:

Play on :yahoo:

Reactions: Brodster
Status
Not open for further replies.