RNS-E Retrofit Is it worth it

Forbzeeee

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi all,

This has been bugging me for a while but I need to make a decision. Basically, I do a lot of driving in my S3 for work, approx 20k per year and rely heavily on my Sat Nav. I currently have a Garmin Nuvi 2445LMT which has free updates for life.

What I want to know is whether it is worth going for RNS-E if I will not be using the Sat Nav functionality? I have heard it is not v.good in terms of re-routing due to traffic, roadworks, and it does not take a full postcode. Also is it true that the maps DVD has to remain in place whilst using Sat Nav. Please correct me if I am wrong because I do think RNS-E looks very smart and really want one but will I benefit?

I already have bluetooth and my iPhone 4s works in the glovebox albeit unable to select individual songs.

Would you pay for RNS-E plus installation if you were in my shoes? Please help!]

Thanks Forbzee

Last edited:
Yes as I did but only for the looks of it in the dash to be honest. I too have a Garmin and wouldn't ditch that in favour of relying on the RNS-e unit but you obviously are aware of that. The reason I got it was to use the SD card slots for the music.

Ok so you are in a similar situation to me in that you will continue to use a seperate Sat Nav.

I wouldn't say I continue to use it, the RNS-e isn't that bad, but equally I wouldn't rely on it purely due to the lack of full postcode input.

It does give you more besides the Nav though...

The nav in the RNS-E is pretty naff to be honest.
You can't even search a whole postcode!
It's pretty old technology now.
Looks good and SD slots are handy.
Plus if your using the nav you can't use the CD drive.
I only paid £450 for mine and they are not really worth any more than that.
How they can charge £1500 from the factory is beyond me!!

i like the looks and SD cards
but i always carry the tomtom.

..You can't use ANY poscode in the US... laoriously-entered-street-address only over here.

However,

The RNS-E scores over the Concert/Symphony radio insofar as call waiting shows up on the screen, as well as incoming caller info etc. -The SD card is MUCH better sounding than the factory iPod interface (no digital0-to-analog-and-then-back-to-digital conversion... sound is MUCH 'stronger' and navigating the list of tunes is vastly better!)

In addition, scannong and display of other stations is much better displayed, and in the dashboard... it looks like MONEY.

I upgraded mine for about $600 (~450 quid) and then sold the stock radio for $115 (almost 100 quid) then bought and sold a second A3 RNS-E, making almost $500 on the deal, so I basically was able to do the upgrade for no cost... any slight 'profit' was negated by the hassle, to-ing and fro-ing with shipping, etc.

At 1500 quid, I wouldn't bother. -At 500 quid, I reckon it's a great deal. -Getting it basically cost-free... well that was the sale of the friggin' CENTURY!

I say do it. -Even if you don't use the Nav.

There's a couple of other "minor" benefits... TomTom, Garmin etc won't show you where you are in places like the Dartford Tunnel... the A3 unit will, because it reads speed, steering input and distance over the CAN bus. -In tunnels which have 'branches' in them, (the Mersey tunnel for example) it's able to give you countdowns to turns, where most nav systems can't tell you where they are, or think you're still at the tunnel entrance, which was the last time they heard from any satellites.

Do it.

i've upgraded to rns-e few months ago and i find it really good. navi works great, love the sd music library and the looks of the interior.
navi dvd must be inside to work, but honestly with 60gb sd card music and aux input do you really need cd's?
sold my concert unit so the cost of the upgrade wasn't that much..

OEM ftw :D

I've just come back from 10 days in Belgium using the RNS-E Sat Nav to get everywhere - it took me straight to 2 campsites (both in the middle of nowhere) and a hotel in central Brussels without any problems. The same could not be said for my mate's Garmin which couldn't find the campsite and wanted to send him on a 1000km detour on the return trip to Calais!

Hi all,

This has been bugging me for a while but I need to make a decision. Basically, I do a lot of driving in my S3 for work, approx 20k per year and rely heavily on my Sat Nav. I currently have a Garmin Nuvi 2445LMT which has free updates for life.

What I want to know is whether it is worth going for RNS-E if I will not be using the Sat Nav functionality? I have heard it is not v.good in terms of re-routing due to traffic, roadworks, and it does not take a full postcode. Also is it true that the maps DVD has to remain in place whilst using Sat Nav. Please correct me if I am wrong because I do think RNS-E looks very smart and really want one but will I benefit?

I already have bluetooth and my iPhone 4s works in the glovebox albeit unable to select individual songs.

Would you pay for RNS-E plus installation if you were in my shoes? Please help!]

Thanks Forbzee

Forbzee,

I was also thinking of the upgrade until recently when I read that the RNS-E doesn’t have full post code functionality and that you have to have the DVD in when using the Sat Nav? I think I'll be sticking with my TomTom One!

Anyway, re your comment about not being able to select individual tracks on your iPhone 4s. I have Bluetooth (hands free) but its via a Parrot CK100 so not sure if yours is built in, but, I bought a Dension Gateway 500 lead and fitted it myself in my glove box. I plug my iPhone 4 into the glove box and can select individual tracks (with text above Speedo). I also have the Cameralert app installed so I get camera alerts through the speakers in my car when plugged into the cable.

If you’re after individual tracks (with text) then get the Dension cable.

Hope that helps,
Mike

Forbzee,

I was also thinking of the upgrade until recently when I read that the RNS-E doesn’t have full post code functionality and that you have to have the DVD in when using the Sat Nav? I think I'll be sticking with my TomTom One!

Anyway, re your comment about not being able to select individual tracks on your iPhone 4s. I have Bluetooth (hands free) but its via a Parrot CK100 so not sure if yours is built in, but, I bought a Dension Gateway 500 lead and fitted it myself in my glove box. I plug my iPhone 4 into the glove box and can select individual tracks (with text above Speedo). I also have the Cameralert app installed so I get camera alerts through the speakers in my car when plugged into the cable.

If you’re after individual tracks (with text) then get the Dension cable.

Hope that helps,
Mike

Thanks Mike. I think I am swaying towards sticking with my Garmin for now to be honest. If the upgrade was cheaper I would strongly consider it but based on what others are saying, the main benefit I would get from it would be the looks. I dont mind playing music from a CD because I usually burn a new compilation each week which stays in the stereo for a week when I burn the next one.

My bluetooth/handsfree is built in and works with both my phone with caller display on the DIS. I can also access and scroll through my phonebook using the MFSW. Am I right in saying that the dension cable would give me the ability to select indiv tracks and this would be displayed on the DIS?

So back to my original post. Other than music on SD cards and pure looks what are the other benefits of RNS-E? Have I missed anything?

Thanks Mike. I think I am swaying towards sticking with my Garmin for now to be honest. If the upgrade was cheaper I would strongly consider it but based on what others are saying, the main benefit I would get from it would be the looks. I dont mind playing music from a CD because I usually burn a new compilation each week which stays in the stereo for a week when I burn the next one.

My bluetooth/handsfree is built in and works with both my phone with caller display on the DIS. I can also access and scroll through my phonebook using the MFSW. Am I right in saying that the dension cable would give me the ability to select indiv tracks and this would be displayed on the DIS?

So back to my original post. Other than music on SD cards and pure looks what are the other benefits of RNS-E? Have I missed anything?

No mate, you can select individual tracks but the text doesn't come up on the head units main display, it comes up on the trip computer instead.

I've just come back from 10 days in Belgium using the RNS-E Sat Nav to get everywhere - it took me straight to 2 campsites (both in the middle of nowhere) and a hotel in central Brussels without any problems. The same could not be said for my mate's Garmin which couldn't find the campsite and wanted to send him on a 1000km detour on the return trip to Calais!

My RNS guided us from England to France, Belguim, Luxembourg, Germany, Austria & back again, was FAULTLESS on our 7 day trip. It gets a big thumbs up from me :wub: