EM TuningChris Nott

New EU proposals in conecction with mods.

I have just picked up the following from an article in the Newsweek section of this week's Auto Express.

Basically it says, that under new EU proposals, any kind of modification could mean the car fails the MOT. If the proposal gets the green light then "components of the vehicle must comply with characteristics at the time of first registration" effectively outlawing any deviation from the factory specification. This would make the rest of the EU the same as the situation in Germany. Any car fitted or modified in any way that is not TUV (the German car testing authority) approved would mean the car would fail an MOT. This would include wheels, bodykits, headlights and even towbars.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    They should only enforce this on certain cars like saxos, corsas and pre 2000 BMW 3 series (not being stereotypical or anything)

Neutral

Status
    Can t ever see this happening , too many company's would go under and evan the goverment would lose millions through tax losses.

1st Gear

Status
    Difficult from a Government perspective to wipe out a whole industry along with the tax income and jobs that go with it in this climate. Having said that the EU central government seem to come up with all sorts of weird and wonderful laws so it wouldn't surprise me!

On the plus side it's a good excuse to go out and spend as much as you can on mods, whilst you still can!

Audi Heaven

Status
    Like most Eu proposals, it will never happen. The MOT for a start is the condition of a car for 1 hour on 1 day of a year. Once you drive off, you can do what you like once you have the ticket issued!

If they were that bothered why do cars not have an MOT until they are three years old?! My car is 5 years old and only done 30k miles where as some cars do 100k miles in 3 years and are never looked at legally. If they aren't serviced (and no one says you must get your car serviced) they could be a death trap!
    Scott

Audi A3 Sportback 2.0T Quattro S-Line 2007 8P2
    Lava Grey, Exclusive Line Black/Silver Leather, Heated Seats, Bose, RNS-e, iPod, Auto Lights & Wipers, Interior Light Pack

Status
    If they didn't have a pop at the motorist they might have to deal with some real policy issues. If only they invested the same effort in say putting criminal behind bars or taxing the super-rich. No, instead we'll ruin a load of taxpayers favourite hobbies as it's obvious that modified cars are the root cause of ALL societies problems. What a bunch of *****.

The proposal as it stands may well be a bit over the top and may get watered down, but German tuning companies manage to survive and prosper and they had this situation for many years. Probably this is why German tuning firms are so good. The thing is that these companies have to get the products and the services they offer approved by the TUV for the model of car. Once this is done anyone can buying the items and fit them to their own car or have the company carry out an approved upgrades without any further problems. What is does stop is 'cowboys' carrying out things to cars that should not be done on the grounds of safety or the environment.

Germany cars are, I think, subject to a TUV test every two years, but if the car is stopped by the police or involved in an accident and found to have items on the car that are not TUV approved they car be prosecuted.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3