Xenon light self levelling problem! PLEASE HELP :(

mattyboy_82

Reaction score
As i posted earlier i had a problem with my xenon lights 2010 with DRL, they seem to dazzle people i thought they were too bright but case was the passenger light was too high! however just took it for a drive as earlier we plugged it into VCDS and is saidd there was a fault with the light range or something cant remember now but it came up with a fault, so anyway we tried to find the sensor that sorts the levelling out but couldnt find it! so any way we manually adjusted the lights by comparing the beam on a ruler and they same to match up however just now took it for a drive and the passenger side seems slightly better but the drivers side seems alot lower , i got the 2 L shapes going across but obviously the passenger is higher, now apparently usually when plugged into VCDS it will sort it out back to factory but it couldnt sort it! the lights go up and down fine when u first turn the lights but dont understand why VCDS couldnt sort it?? anyway should i take it to a MOT place so they can manually adjust it properly?? thanks all

There are 2 sensors. One on the Nearside front lower suspension arm and one on the rear( I would think on the offside, though i'm not 100% on the rear).

If the rod hasn't come off one of the sensors, you could have a faulty sensor/other electrical fault in the circuit.

But the bloke checked earlier and couldn't find any sensors at all in the front and no signs that anything had fall off or broke that's where we were confused

If car got factory xenon's fitted (should also have headlamp washers) then the sensor is located on the front nearside suspension attached to the wishbone. It's dead easy to see.
My car had fault "Range control faulty" fixed with a new sensor. Easy pezi job, if wheel removed for better axis.
In my case, no need for VCDS to re-calibrate.
If sensor had fallen off, I'd say the 2pin plug should still be attached to wiring loom.

if it turns out you need the range unit drop me a pm ive got a 2010+ version for cheap

You need to post up the actual fault, as we're just throwing ideas in the air atm, pointless changing anything without actually knowing the cause.

Also do your research, when calibrating the beam with vcds, you have to set what is known as mot mode, then adjust them manually all whilst sitting on a flat surface namely mot bay.

This has been discussed numerous times, so always do a search 1st.

Also as per above, there are 2 sensors, 1 on front axle passenger side look behind the brake discs/suspension leg down low & 1 on rear passenger side hidden underneath which requires lifting car to get to safely & each has a 4 pin connector to them using 3 wires.

This is of course if they're from factory as also mentioned above.

If you've lowered the car at all or suspension work, then the arms could of snapped or you havnt done a calibration at the new height.

Last edited:
I have done a search !!! Was looking for hours thanks! But couldn't find a specific thread with the answer I needed. Well I haven't taken the wheel off but my mate turned the wheel full lock and couldn't see any sensor at all so we have assumed its ****** fallen off!

Reactions: denton92
They dont just fall of, they're bolted on very well normally, rear has 5 bolts in total & front has 2 because its smaller, but very strong fixings usually.

I would say you just need to get a torch in there & get underneath to see the area better, but as advised, 1st get the fault code as it may not even be this the issue.

Last edited:
All I know is it sais on the Vcds range control falty so god knows but my mate couldn't find any sensor at all there but we only turned the wheel full lock didn't take the wheel off

the sensors are connected between the arms and the subframe they are in an elbow shape, we would need to see the vcds scan that was taken

did you have your led xenons fitted or where they there from factory?

Ye from factory mate with the washers built into front bumper if I can il try and get the code tonite gonna phone Audi see if I can get it done on warranty

If its under 3 years old then get audi to fix.

@NHN I have a problem with my sensor and i've browsed the forum and seen you've suggested lots of fixes. Don't suppose you'd know the answer to my issue..
1 Fault Found

00496 - Sensor for Vehicle Leveling; Front
010 - Open or short to plus - MIL ON

Ive tried to clear it, i've taken the front wheel off and checked the arm bit isn't snapped on it. The lights still go up and down when i turn the ignition on.

Do you know if this is likely to be just a new sensor?

Thanks alot

Jack

You need to diagnostically check for readings of the sensor with movements of the arm, could be wiring, sensor or the module, ideally I guess you could try plugging rear into front but I can't recall if the pinouts are the same without checking schematics, principle workings are identical so should work tbh.

Ideally another sensor to hand would help enormously.

I also have the same fault "range sensor fault" showing in the DIS. Happened twice in the last week but hasn't come up again. Do you have to remove the front undertray to see the level sensor?

Check for water in the connectors as well, this can cause intermittant errors.

All can be accessed by turning the wheels.

You need to diagnostically check for readings of the sensor with movements of the arm, could be wiring, sensor or the module, ideally I guess you could try plugging rear into front but I can't recall if the pinouts are the same without checking schematics, principle workings are identical so should work tbh.

Ideally another sensor to hand would help enormously.
Thanks a lot! On the readings it had a measurement on the back (in mm I think) but on the front one it was 0. I’ll try and swap the sensors and see if this changes. I’ll have to look which side it is on the rear!

If its got Magride then it's got 4 sensors, 1 each corner, if not then it's 2 sensors both on passenger side, rear is hidden on the front side of the rear lower arm, don't mess up the bolt fixings as they're a pita to replace.

If its got Magride then it's got 4 sensors, 1 each corner, if not then it's 2 sensors both on passenger side, rear is hidden on the front side of the rear lower arm, don't mess up the bolt fixings as they're a pita to replace.
Thanks again. Im going to give it a look now as it’s bugging me !

Appears to be the front sensor is faulty. Would you happen to know where I can find the part number ? On VCDS it says 7l6941329b but I think that’s for the module not the sensor

56b3f3132c6e35821226e949c32aec50.jpg
d201943e68a0e65634a25541a02e50f9.jpg

Does this look right to you? The plug has 3 pins but the sensor has 4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk