Ipod & Concert ii

Horchsense

Reaction score
I know this has been covered a hundred times before but...does anyone know if it's possible to connect an ipod or mini ipod to a Concert ii (with Bose)??? I got a 6 changer in the glove box - How easy - how tidy etc??? Cheers

you can, but kiss goodbye to your CD changer. It uses the same connection.

9604Interior_wide.jpg

Where in SE essex are you dude!

Ok I used the Dension ICE>Link. Works superb with my 4G 40GB iPod.

I bought my ICE>Link and mounting kit from ihavetohaveit but theyhave changed their name to cooltipia as far as I remember.

I had a slight problem when I bent the pins on the HU but I used the mounting kit to hold it in.

DSCF0013.jpg

Yerh but steveb do you have a cd changer as well?? I have the same problem - I want to do this but I have a cd changer and concert II.

[ QUOTE ]
Ok I used the Dension ICE>Link. Works superb with my 4G 40GB iPod.

I bought my ICE>Link and mounting kit from ihavetohaveit but theyhave changed their name to cooltipia as far as I remember.

I had a slight problem when I bent the pins on the HU but I used the mounting kit to hold it in.

DSCF0013.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of interest what is that steel 'cheka plate' thing beneath your glovebox /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

Hi Steveb. You will have to disconnect the CD changer if you want to plug a Dension ice->Link into the slot where the CD changer is currently installed, I have the concert also but specifically got the CD single slot only because I knew I was going to get the Dension for my iPod immediately. The CD changer is basically made redudant by the iPod anyway - who wants to stuff around changing 6 CD's when you have 300+ on your ipod?

The Brodit pro-clip is what I used to mount my ipod - same or similar to what you see in Japper's photo. Not too cluttered, easy to access and change music, etc.

BTW I also had huge issues trying to remove my head unit using the HU removal keys I bought through ihavetohave.it in the end I just got a remote installer to come and put it in for me for £50. A bit pricey but they did a good job. Carphone Warehouse do it and so did this other company who's name eludes me for the moment.

I had no trouble pulling my HU out, fiddle around with the keys a bit and it just slides out!

Had a battle getting the dension plug into the HU plug on the back though!

Thanks for the info dj - how much do you think the whole job would cost???
PS - any idea if the Dension would accept a mini ipod??

get some HU removal keys from Halfords for about 7 quid, try and remove the HU yourself first. If it slides out, then it really is a piece of cake!
+++ 50 sheets in your back pocket!

It's only any good over short journeys. If you do long journeys then you'll find radio stations butting into your toons. The sound quality, although still quite good isn't as good as the Dension Icelink.

Thanks Eeef, that makes things a lot clearer to a newbie i-pod user. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Steveb - The install cost me £50. I bought the brodit pro-clip and the ice->Link from the elusive www.ihavetohave.it website. The company I used I can't think of but carphone warehouse do installs. This company I used came out to me which was very appealing. Took a whlie, so I figure I got my money's worth. I think the guy was a bit of a dolt too and spent a good half hour working out which way around the pro-clip went.

TDI-Line. My 2 cents on the iTrip. Complete waste of time if you live/spend a lot of time driving within the M25. I literally could not find a single station on the iTrip list that was 100% clear. Even the obscure bands had echos of neighbouring strong stations on them. The only place in the UK I could get the iTrip to work reasonably well was in Cornwall, away from any major cities. Also the connectivity, even when working ok, pales in insignificance next to a hard-wired connection. If you are serious about using your ipod in your car iTrip is not the way to go IMHO. Maybe a good solution if you live out of cities and spend time mainly on country roads, etc.

I used to live in LA and had no problems with the iTrip there. London is just competed saturated on the FM band though.

How often do you look at the iPod itself in this kind of set up? I'm thinking of having mine in the glovebox instead of mounted on the dash (no mount showing, no indication that there may be an iPod in the car...) and am wondering whether this will become a pain in the *** after a while.

ta

-Lou

Heh ok, but do you use the controls on the iPod itself at all anymore? Will I want to keep taking it out of the glovebox or can I just leave it in there and do all the day to day stuff from the HU?

For a cheap as chips solution (but not that pleasing to the eye due to the trailing wire), you can use a cassette adapter (if you have a cassette slot). About £10 from Argos or, if you really have to have a white one, about £30 from Apple I think. I haven't used iTrip but I gather the sound qual is much better with the cassette adapter.

I went for a symphony stereo just so I could use the cassette adapter in mine. Also means you can play your ipod/mp3 player on a portable stereo.

[ QUOTE ]
I always use the ipod controls, the dension ui is too slow and awkward

[/ QUOTE ]

It's that bad, huh? Better get a cradle then I guess. Too bad, I was hoping not to have to take out the iPod everytime I leave the car. Ah well...

I think so anyway, the cradle is the best option especially as the audi stereo doesn't support cd text and therefore won't display song names etc. so much for a premium car eh!

I have the cradle but I always find I start out in Shuffle and when I get to track I haven't heard in a while I have to take the ipod out and search for that album.
Bit of pain really but if you select CD6 you can use the iPod controls. They're not great in my book as they use playlists and will oly allow 5 I think. So the best way to change music, tell the mrs to change tracks for you. It works for me.

I never use the Dension controls - why would you want to emulate a CD changer. With over 200-300 CDs it's too limiting and naff. HAving said that I know I am going to crash one day whilst browsing for an album. The Dension emulator flashes up 'Warning do not browse iPod whilst driving." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Ah well.

The tape adpater does have better sound but slightly more cluttered than the cradle. Also does not charge the iPod like a Dension cradle does.

There's no way you want to mount the iPod in the glove box unless you literally want to have almost no ability to utilise the full extent of your music library. I leave my ipod in the little compartment under the driver's seat. I know someone is going to read this now and I'll lose it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif That's not true I take it out most of the time.

If you check the Dension website certain HU's are advanced enough to display all of the track, album, artist information that the ipod does. I think the only HU Audi make that would allow this is the Sat Nav combo HU but don't quote me on that.

Well my first thoughts were to go Alpine HU with the KCA420i iPod adapter to connect the lot up. Much more functionality through the HU itself, but browsing seems to be pretty slow according to reports.
Maybe creating 5 large playlists with specific types of music in each would be enough - even 100 tracks per playlist would stop me getting bored for a few weeks.
Unsure now.

...Why have an autochanger when you have potentially your whole CD collection in a little box. Take it out and sell it on eBay...
I would always have the MP3 on the dash for the ability to use the controls, to see whats playing, and an empty cradle shows the theiving scum youve taken it out.

For Info Connects2 do full kits for specific headunits and include the autochanger adapter, cables and bracket to mount your MP3.
I have the Sony HD3 one fitted with a sony head unit and all the text/titles etc are displayed. You can ring them and they will advise you on the abilities of their product in conjunction with the Concert 11. They are actually cheaper than eBay to buy their kit from. They have a PDF on their website with all the serial nos for the components.

I also have a BELKIN FM transmitter which I have never had a problem with and I use it on holiday in the rental car.

Hope some of the above is helpful.

[ QUOTE ]
Well my first thoughts were to go Alpine HU with the KCA420i iPod adapter to connect the lot up. Much more functionality through the HU itself, but browsing seems to be pretty slow according to reports.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not particularly slow - and indeed is a good deal faster than the Dension.

I have used the Dension kit but changed to the Alpine after about four months. The difference is just stunning. I have a lot of time for the Dension stuff, but given the way Dension run their web presence I just don't think they have got it together enough to offer the support necessary. As an example, try finding the older config files on their website - unless they have changed it recently there was no way of finding them.

I now use the KC420i unit with an Alpine head unit and have to say the difference is huge. The Alpine sounds clearer, the iPod plays flawlessly and since the Alpine unit has the track info on display the iPod sits cosily out of sight in the glove box. All in all it is a much better system and is far more robust than the Dension kit.

If you don't mind losing the Audi head unit then this is definitely the best way forward, IMO.

To re-open this one. Has anyone connect either an Ipod Nano or a creative Zen to their head unit if so how did you do it. Have searched the web and unable to find a solution.

Thanks

I've done something similar. I decided to get an iRiver H320 rather than an ipod.

Connected it to the car using an interface lead that plugs into the back of the head unit.
There seem to be different interface leads out there.
The one I got has a matchbox sized small box of electronics at one end, making the head unit think that a CD changer is attached. On the side of this box are 2 phono sockets.
I connected the mp3 player to this using a lead from the headphone socket to 2 phono plugs.

I can only control the volume from the head unit and have to look at the screen on the mp3 player to select albums or tracks. Its great for what I wanted and its better than a 6 disc changer.