New Car Lead Times

Silk

Reaction score
I've recently ordered an new A3 Sportback sport 170 TDi.

The dealer has given me an unconfirmed build date of week commencing 8th October. It's now two weeks since the date was given but still not confirmed. Am I being fobbed off?

Does anyone know what factory order lead times are at the moment. The only options Ive added are Comfort Pack (which should be standard IMO) and Bluetooth.

I ordered the car through Drive the Deal, so I'm wondering if this means I'm not exactly high on the list of valued customers and therefore low priority.

Thanks in advance,

Steve.

Factory orders are "normally" 12 weeks roughly so the date you've been given isn't far off. The build date is given from the factory so the dealer or broker maybe waiting on them...

Thanks Scott,

I dont really understand why they can't confirm. It comes across as arrogance - like we're happy to sell you the car but be prepared to wait if someone more important comes along.

I've bough several new cars, so I'm used to waiting, but I've ever had to wait this long to get a build date.

Oh well.

Thanks Scott,

I dont really understand why they can't confirm. It comes across as arrogance - like we're happy to sell you the car but be prepared to wait if someone more important comes along.

I've bough several new cars, so I'm used to waiting, but I've ever had to wait this long to get a build date.

Oh well.

It's to do with how many slots the dealer has been allocated which normally comes from how big the dealer is. I am not quite sure how it works through a broker because I guess that depends on which dealer they use. Also using a broker you've added another cog in the wheel so the info may bit a bit slower.

The "confirmed" build date doesn't normally get issued to the dealer until the order has been accepted at the factory so if something is on back order (like the black ed wheels last year) then this can hold up build dates...

It's to do with how many slots the dealer has been allocated which normally comes from how big the dealer is. I am not quite sure how it works through a broker because I guess that depends on which dealer they use. Also using a broker you've added another cog in the wheel so the info may bit a bit slower.

The "confirmed" build date doesn't normally get issued to the dealer until the order has been accepted at the factory so if something is on back order (like the black ed wheels last year) then this can hold up build dates...

My understanding is the dealer gets in touch with a broker if he needs to make his target and is prepared to give up his margin for an extra registration. Drive the Deal only introduced me to the dealer - the credit card details I gave to Drive the Deal for the deposit were passed on to the dealer. The dealer emailed me the order form, I filled it in, scanned it and emailed it back. He then took the deposit from my card. Drive the Deal didn't take any money.

Now I'm in contact with the dealer, it shouldn't make my difference. As the dealer was fairly close (although not the closest), I was able to call in and speak to the salesman face to face after I'd ordered the car - I made sure I didn't sign anything on the dealer premises to protect my "distance selling" rights.

I can understand the process up to a point, but I'm sure it's possible to know if everything is in place to build a car within two weeks of ordering.

Dealer lead times are a complete joke.
My old man went into Audi Edinburgh and ordered a new A4 tdi (177) Black Edition Quattro on the 7th June (week 23).

He was give a provisional build slot of week 34 (around 20th Aug) around 11 weeks. Due delivery date for the new registrations on 1st September.
He then received a call from the dealer and was informed that this was then put back by 2 weeks to week 36 (1st week in Sept)......
My old man really wasn't too fussed with the delay but wanted to keep on top of it and be kept upto date with order progress.
A few weeks went by then I popped in to see the sales staff and was hit with a bombshell. They had checked the build schedule and noted that my old mans car had slipped down the schedule to week 42 !!!!!! (2nd week in October)
Needless to say my oldman went a bit nuts but he was assured by the sales staff that the order would come back into line and everything should still be ok. Bear in mind that spending nearly £38k on a car is not to be taken lightly. So he stuck with it and gave them the benefit of the doubt. Then all hell broke loose.
He received a phonecall saying that the production date had slipped again.......... wait for it.......... to week 49 !!! (Middle of December for a january delivery)... at which point my old man lost it and told AUDI EDINBURGH where to stick their order.
Even the proposed production date of week 49 was not set in stone and was likely to slip further. A minimum of 24 weeks wait for a Car from a manufacturer of this level is a complete JOKE
He asked for a full refund on his deposit, which they grudgingly accepted and returned to him this week
He immediately jumped in his BMW and drove down to Peter Vardy BMW and ordered a new Beemer which has a confirmed DELIVERY DATE of 1st week in October. Obviously BMW have their order system sorted out

NB. having spoken to the dealer at length is appears that currently there is a Europe wide shortage of Diesel 170 and 177 engines as 300,000 units bound for Europe were Shipped for use in the States (allegedly)

Dealer lead times are a complete joke.
My old man went into Audi Edinburgh and ordered a new A4 tdi (177) Black Edition Quattro on the 7th June (week 23).

He was give a provisional build slot of week 34 (around 20th Aug) around 11 weeks. Due delivery date for the new registrations on 1st September.
He then received a call from the dealer and was informed that this was then put back by 2 weeks to week 36 (1st week in Sept)......
My old man really wasn't too fussed with the delay but wanted to keep on top of it and be kept upto date with order progress.
A few weeks went by then I popped in to see the sales staff and was hit with a bombshell. They had checked the build schedule and noted that my old mans car had slipped down the schedule to week 42 !!!!!! (2nd week in October)
Needless to say my oldman went a bit nuts but he was assured by the sales staff that the order would come back into line and everything should still be ok. Bear in mind that spending nearly £38k on a car is not to be taken lightly. So he stuck with it and gave them the benefit of the doubt. Then all hell broke loose.
He received a phonecall saying that the production date had slipped again.......... wait for it.......... to week 49 !!! (Middle of December for a january delivery)... at which point my old man lost it and told AUDI EDINBURGH where to stick their order.
Even the proposed production date of week 49 was not set in stone and was likely to slip further. A minimum of 24 weeks wait for a Car from a manufacturer of this level is a complete JOKE
He asked for a full refund on his deposit, which they grudgingly accepted and returned to him this week
He immediately jumped in his BMW and drove down to Peter Vardy BMW and ordered a new Beemer which has a confirmed DELIVERY DATE of 1st week in October. Obviously BMW have their order system sorted out

NB. having spoken to the dealer at length is appears that currently there is a Europe wide shortage of Diesel 170 and 177 engines as 300,000 units bound for Europe were Shipped for use in the States (allegedly)

Dont be fooled by BMW... My brother had to wait seven months for his 320d Touring due to gearbox shortages.

The diesel engine shortage is true but they went to China not the US.

Dont be fooled by BMW... My brother had to wait seven months for his 320d Touring due to gearbox shortages.

My old man bleeds BMW. He's had 36 !!
Started with a 2002 and had the first 325i in the UK. He's definately had his fair share of BMW and a few other marques in between (Merc, Audi, Range Rover, Jaguar etc) but he always seems to go back to BMW and in all the years of ownership I don't beleive he's ever had an issue with BMW. He fancied a change from BMW and opted for Audi as an reputable, quality german alternative but has been sadly disappointed and let down by AUDI UK.
I hate to say it but I think his feelings and opinions on AUDI UK have been tainted by his recent experience which is why he reverted back into 'safe mode' and went BMW again. ;-)