Volks AutosBadger5
    1st Gear

Status

S3 Stage 1 map for DSG

Ok guys I'm after a definitive answer, as this site has lots of conflicting information.

Will the S3 with a DSG take a stage 1 map fully without paying for the DSG box to be remapped aswell? or am I going to get a reduced power output until I spend more on a DSG ungrade. (Ignoring stage 2 at the moment)

A few post seem to hint the box limits the torque so would need remapping, but other posts don't mention it

cheers.
    IceHanger
    2011 S3 8P 5DR Black edition,
    2013 TT TDi BE with lots of toys
    Previous Vehicles:
    Audi S4 B6 4DR Big fuel bill edition
    Audi TT TDi S-line Quattro
    Skoda Octavia 4x4 Turbo,
    Skoda Octavia VRS Estate,
    Vauxhall VX220 Turbo,
    MGF VVC,
    Vauxhall Astra GSi,
    Alfa 33 Cloverleaf,
    Tons of Minis

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status
    Stolen from Revo's website LINK:

DSG transmission performance software allows you to use the full potential of the engine, giving the control back to the driver. Hold onto the gear through that sweeping corner without the worry of the transmission shifting up and throwing out the balance of the car, have no worries about using full throttle and having the car jump about whilst shifting down for you… get back in full control with Revo DSG software.
    Revo DSG software can be run on a standard car and it complements our full Revo Stage 1 ECU software.

The Revo DSG Stage 2 software is aimed at cars with more significant hardware modifications; exhausts and turbos and delivers an awesome experience when combined with our Stage3 ECU performance software, with a choice of 3200, 4000 or 4500rpm launch control and enhanced shift maps to suit vehicle set ups.

It sounds like it's more a case of re-programming the DSG code to take full advantage of the new power curves, and deliver a more predictable driving experience.

Shark Performance In Scotland

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Brodster On Twitter Add Brodster on Facebook
    To get the full benefit from the map the DSG has to be mapped also. If you don't the torque limiter knocks the power down so you dont get the full kahunas.

But it all depends on how you drive it aswell....Paullie has Shark Stage 2 but NO DSG map as its never caused any problems. I know she was enquiring about it but dont think she got round to it as she felt no need to get it done.
    Angelwax/BBS/BCS/Bilstein/Cobra/CTS Turbo/DTUK/H&R/K-Sport/KW/Loba/Milltek/Shark Performance/Oz Racing/TPI/VCDS/V-Maxx/Vossen/Wagner

5th Gear

Status
    all the new modern engine remaps bypass any dsg torque limitations so DSG map is only when you need quicker changes and different shift rpms and rpms limiter removed at 6200.
    Be patient. English is tough.

Now:

61 Audi S3 BE S-Tronic Ibis White: Build Thread.
    / Black Edition pack (SatNav, Bluetooth) / Parking Sensors / Tinted windows / piano inlays and finish / Cruise Control / Interior light pack /
    /Mods: REVO Stage 2+: Revo Intake / BCS Powervalve TBE system / LOBA HPFP / Crystal Clear H11 FOGS / Black roof + spoiler vinyl wrap / H&R Anti-roll bars / Superpro ALK /

4th Gear

Status

S3 Stage 1 map for DSG

So glad you asked this question!
    2012 RS3 Ibis White | Black Styling Pack | Black Roof Rails | Bose | Cruise | Tyre Package | Privacy Glass

2nd Gear

Status
    I have a 2009 S3 8P Revo Stage 1 remap and no DSG map and to be honest, I dont need the DSG map. I don't race my car on tracks against other cars so have no need for an increase in my limiters. 6200 rpm is more than adequate (in my opinion) and does not take my engine to its limits.
    Now: 2009 S3 8P3 DSG. Mods: Revo Stage 2+, Full TBE, Autotech HPFP, Revo CAI, H&R ARBs, SuperPro Anti-Lift Kit, Rev D, Cruise control, LED interior lights upgrade, Rear DRLs... SPS & VCDS.
    Previously: 2001 AMK S3, Silver, Revo Remap, Milltek DV, KW Springs & Shocks, H&R ARB.

Shark Performance In Scotland

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Brodster On Twitter Add Brodster on Facebook
    Thats exactly what I was pointing at. Sometimes you dont need the DSG mapped if your not going to use the full potential of the map.
    Angelwax/BBS/BCS/Bilstein/Cobra/CTS Turbo/DTUK/H&R/K-Sport/KW/Loba/Milltek/Shark Performance/Oz Racing/TPI/VCDS/V-Maxx/Vossen/Wagner

S3 (8P)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodster View Post
    To get the full benefit from the map the DSG has to be mapped also. If you don't the torque limiter knocks the power down so you dont get the full kahunas.

But it all depends on how you drive it aswell....Paullie has Shark Stage 2 but NO DSG map as its never caused any problems. I know she was enquiring about it but dont think she got round to it as she felt no need to get it done.
    I have the SHARK Stage 1 map with the DSG torque limiter `patch` and its excellent. The standard map was disappointing as it needs the DSG map and I did not have it, nor want it. in fact it was hardly different from stock.

Happy now though.

So in summary for the benefit for the OP.

DSG map is NOT required if you go for either:

-REVO Stage 1
    -SHARK Stage 1 with Torque Limiter Patch

Cant comment on others as I dont have any experience with them but it would appear that you can have the full beans ECU map without fiddling with the DSG `box software.

PM me if you need any more info.

Good luck
    Paul
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

RPB
    2nd Gear

Status
    I have Shark Stage 1 and do have the DSG map. Along with others on here, we finally got Shark to start providing the DSG patch with its ECU maps so you did get the full map results.
    So, I was disappointed with my initial ECU map results and at the time there was no ECU DSG patch. I had 2 choices, DSG remap or they were prepared to offer me the DSG patch but did not really want to at that time as they were still not sure. After talking about it I decided to get the full DSG map and do now enjoy it because of my driving style. Shark gave me rolling road time and got me the best out of my car because of my initial disappointments and so I love the customer service I got. I finally have a garage 10 miles from my door! Wicked.

With DSG remap.....

Manual mode - is true manual on upshifts - Foot to the floor does not induce the kick-down and there is no upshift on reaching the soft limit (6200 rpm) upshifts are done by you.
    Only if you hit the hard rev limiter will it stop you doing any damage by bouncing off the rev limiter (not recommended). Rev limit now 7,300 rpm.
    I do really like this feature. I cannot be arsed with trying not to engage the kick down when I need some power. I want to plant my foot and not worry about it. So manual mode is superb now.
    The car will still auto-downshift once you get to 1k revs, so you do not have to shift down when coming to a stop or at roundabout with queues.
    ITs awesome though to put into manual and enjoy the paddles! :D Even just with a Stage 1 it bloody moves with S-Tronic, its awesome.

'D' mode - the tweaks to the upshift and downshift points means 30 mph is now 5th and 40 mph is where 6th comes in. This is superb for my travels along the ring roads of Notts. No longer does it annoy me by sitting in 6th at feckin 30 mph which is shockingly stupid.

Quicker changes - I honestly cannot notice this. If they are quicker then good, if not I didnt think they were slow! LOL.

Higher rev limit of 7,300 rpm - Not needed imho. I change at around 7k tops BUT that is my choice now and not the cars so the 6,200 soft change limit is no hardship and not a problem.
    What you could do is ask for the soft limit to be made higher I suppose? I dont know.
    2011 61 plate S3 SB BE DSG - Shark Stage 1 + DSG

4th Gear

Status
    Hello,

without mapping the DSG ECU the torque signal between engine ECU and DSG ECU has to be altered in order to prevent engine load (boost) from being capped. This is something we do when remapping DSG cars.

Thanks, Rick
    Unicorn Motor Developments. Bespoke Calibration and Remapping Services
    www.unicornmotordevelopments.com

Neutral

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Autograph Cars On Twitter Add Autograph Cars on Facebook Add Autograph Cars on Google+ Visit Autograph Cars's Youtube Channel Visit Autograph Cars's Instagram Channel
    I agree with Rick above, if you tune the Engine ECU correctly there is no need to remap the gearbox with a Stage 1 car. The engine ECU has an output that can be changed to avoid any torque limitations. The gearbox software only really needs mapping with Stage 2 and above unless you want to change the upper shift point etc as mentioned by some of the guys above.

RPB
    2nd Gear

Status
    Agreed. DSG remap is good for 30mph and 40mph Specs camera zones like I live in though, so it was worth it!
    Anyone who thinks 30mph in 6th is ok wants f***ing. The minute you want to go faster it has to change down anyway. 5th at 30 is a lot better.
    What you two Gents need to know above is, until I had mine done, Shark were not changing the ECU to avoid the torque limitations and so that is why I and others were so disappointed with the maps. When I went to Shark HQ, I then had the choice BEFORE i went for the DSG map.

4th Gear

Status
    Remapping the DSG is the way to go ideally. However with the DSG7 cars it's not doable as yet.

Rick

RPB
    2nd Gear

Status
    Rick, which cars have the DSG7?

Rich.

4th Gear

Status
    A fair few, mostly newer stuff including the RS3. I have just finished developing our RS3 base map which took many many hours!

Rick