What RPM should the A3 170 pd spool up/kick in at???

Simon170TDI

Reaction score
As above what RPM should my turbo kick in.. Think it may be kicking higher than it should :/ any advice I'm a new diesel/turbo man

My 140 used to be alive and kicking from about 1500 rpm didnt like high revs much though.

From what I have seen the turbos on the diesels kick in around 2500rpm before that it's pretty dosile unless you have it mapped

My 170 version is mapped and kicks in around 2200rpm I think.
Is this about normal? I'd love it to kick in a bit earlier. It's pretty flat till I hit that.

Mine seems to kick in a bit lower than Ash at around 2k rpm. You'll know when the turbo kicks in as thats when the car starts to pull a lot harder. (non-remapped by BTW).

Begins to spool at 1500, full boost around 2000-2250. 3rd gear pull from low rpm will help u figure it out. keep ur window open and ull be able to hear it spool then hear when its at full boost

According to Audi UK brochure Edition 6.0 04/11 2012 year models (factory spec / unmapped obviously!)

1.6TDi (105PS): Max power 105 PS at 4400rpm, Max torque 250Nm from 1500-2500rpm
2.0TDi (140PS): Max power 140 PS at 4200rpm, Max torque 320Nm from 1750-2500rpm
2.0TDi (170PS): Max power 170 PS at 4200rpm, Max torque 350Nm from 1750-2500rpm

Suggests to me that 140 & 170 run the same turbo as the torque curve and max power RPM is the same.

Last edited:
Yeah after today I would say about 1700/1800 n mine is standard

I have noticed in traffic it doesn't like it if you go into second too soon, bit of kangarooing, anyone else found this?

Yeah after today I would say about 1700/1800 n mine is standard

I have noticed in traffic it doesn't like it if you go into second too soon, bit of kangarooing, anyone else found this?

My brother in laws 170TDi does this. It's 58 plate, 65k miles, and he's having numerous issues with:

> Engine Management Light coming on
> Stuttering / Kangerooing in lower gears, esp. not long after it's started

He's had the injectors replaced by dealer under warranty, but it's never 100%. Short journeys might be part of the problem, but it's not been a great ownership experience for him.

My brother in laws 170TDi does this. It's 58 plate, 65k miles, and he's having numerous issues with:

> Engine Management Light coming on
> Stuttering / Kangerooing in lower gears, esp. not long after it's started

He's had the injectors replaced by dealer under warranty, but it's never 100%. Short journeys might be part of the problem, but it's not been a great ownership experience for him.

In my case new injectors completely cured the issue.

My PD170 suffered from stuttering quite a bit but only when the DPF was in one if its regeneration cycles. My current CR170 doesn't do this at all. I think the DPF tech/system in the PD170 was very new and still had quite a few issues whereas they've sorted it out a lot now. I had loads of issues with noise and harshness on the last car but none at all with the new. The only real giveaway that it's doing a regeneration cycle is the engine idles at 1000rpm rather than 800.

Strange how its caused and cured problems for different people!