JMB RetrofitsBadger5
    2nd Gear

Status

A3 Stop-Start problem - 1.4 TFSI

Hi everyone,

Just wondered what you think about this?

I've been experiencing lately a slight fault with the Stop-Start system on the car. On a cold engine (only been running a couple of minutes) the starter motor fails to start the engine up, and can take upto 3 times to fire up. The fault seems to be intermitant, and only occurs occasionally?

Recently I popped into my local dealership for a touch up pen to fill in a small stone chip which had been annoying me. I asked the parts man about this fault and he started asking me do I press a button for the engine to fire, and seemed to have no clue what I was going on about - I don't even think he'd heard of stop-start to be honest! He said he will ask the mechanics, and he came back saying this was the norm?

Just to clarify, am I right in thinking the stop-start can take up to 3 times to start? As this is highly embarrasing when your stuck at temporary one way lights!! Are any of the fellow stop-start crew experiencing this?

Looking forward to you replies
    Picked up on the 30th May!

2013 '13' Plate - Audi TT 1.8 TFSI S Line Roadster | Ibis White | Xenon Headlights with LED DRL | Half Leather/Suede with Silver Stitching | Brushed Aluminium Trim

Gone but won't be forgotten! 2011 '11' Plate - Audi A3 1.4 TFSI S Line | Ibis White | Privacy Glass | iPod Dock | Xenon Headlights with LED DRL | Half Leather with Silver Stitching | Brushed Aluminium Trim | S3 Pedals

2. # ADS
    ADS

Audi Heaven

Status
    No it's not normal, it should fire up instantly though the stop start will only function when the car is up to temperature.

To be fair, asking the parts bloke wasn't probably the best person to be asking!
    Scott

Audi A3 Sportback 2.0T Quattro S-Line 2007 8P2
    Lava Grey, Exclusive Line Black/Silver Leather, Heated Seats, Bose, RNS-e, iPod, Auto Lights & Wipers, Interior Light Pack

Reverse Gear

Status
    Hi Matty,
    my wife has a March 2011 registered A3 1.4 TFSI and over the last two and a half years we have had exactly the same intermittent fault.
    Initially Audi sent us away claiming that it was not a 'recognised' fault, it has been in for remedial work carried out under guarantee only for the fault to return.
    A recent letter from our Audi dealership is claiming there is no fault at all...I can only presume they think we're stupid and don't know how to operate the car correctly or we are liars!?!?!?
    It is good to hear that the fault exists on other cars and that we're not imagining it...our battle with Audi continues.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by MattyW19 View Post
    Hi everyone,

Just wondered what you think about this?

I've been experiencing lately a slight fault with the Stop-Start system on the car. On a cold engine (only been running a couple of minutes) the starter motor fails to start the engine up, and can take upto 3 times to fire up. The fault seems to be intermitant, and only occurs occasionally?

Recently I popped into my local dealership for a touch up pen to fill in a small stone chip which had been annoying me. I asked the parts man about this fault and he started asking me do I press a button for the engine to fire, and seemed to have no clue what I was going on about - I don't even think he'd heard of stop-start to be honest! He said he will ask the mechanics, and he came back saying this was the norm?

Just to clarify, am I right in thinking the stop-start can take up to 3 times to start? As this is highly embarrasing when your stuck at temporary one way lights!! Are any of the fellow stop-start crew experiencing this?

Looking forward to you replies

Neutral

Status
    Definitely not normal, Ive had my mine for over 1 year now and experienced no problems (touch wood) with the stop start which i always keep on.
    2009 A3 1.4TFSI S-line Sportback