Help!! Horrible bearing whirling noise!

Thomas1

Reaction score
Hi all!

I have an A3 2.0tdi 2003, owned for 5 months now and couple months ago a whirling noise started. I have experience as a mechanic years ago but not enough to solve this problem. The "bearing like" grind seems to happen when applying the throttle over a crest or bumps @ 20mph+ however this does not happen around corners or on a flat straight. Only when the weight seems to lift off the wheels. I have checked for play in both front wheels but they are fine, i have had the wheels off checking for any rubbing marks or anything loose.. again fine. I have a feeling it could be something to do with one of the drive shafts but i have been told to go full lock in a circle both ways and listen for a clicking noise.. again it seems to be fine. Has anybody had a similar problem or could give me some advice please? Would be much appreciated, Thanks all, Tom.

Not 100% certain but had a similar sort of noise on my 53 reg A3 when I lowered it. Turned out it was a large stone stuck between the rear of the brake disk and splash guard :laugh:.

Yeh i had a look for any obstructions.. only stripped the caliper etc on the one side but couldnt see anything. Its driving me crazy!! ..Nice facelift by the way, i have the split grill, drop grill looks far nicer!