DIY Oil Change

Bailey

Reaction score
Hi there people,

I have seen a few threads and guides on the forum in order to do a DIY oil change so I am considering doing it myself.

I have a 2005 2.0 TDI so I am just going to ask a few questions to see if you guys know.

Is it straight forward to do?

I have got this oil in mind to use so will this be ok?

Castrol Audi Edge Fully Synthetic 5W30 Engine Oil (4 Litre) | Euro Car Parts UK’s No.1 Car Parts Retailer

Will this oil filter be ok?

Hengst Audi | Euro Car Parts UK’s No.1 Car Parts Retailer

Ok so here goes, I think this is how I will do it so please correct me if I am wrong?

1 - Jack the car up onto axle stands ( as I dont have a ramp or pit )

2 - Get something to catch the oil when it is being drained.

3 - Remove protective cover to reveal the sump and lower engine.

4 - Release / unscrew the sump plug and let the oil fully drain out.

5 - Take off the old oil filter and replace with new one once fully drained.

6 - screw up the sump plug again.

7 - Fill up with oil again, I have heard the oil capacity is 3.7L???

8 - Screw oil cap back on

Is this correct? Also do I need any special tools in order to do this?

Also how do you reset the service indicator on the DIS as it is coming up it needs a service?

Thanks

Bailey

Think oil capacity may be more like 4.5 litres.
I'd put the filter back on before filling with engine oil.
Fill when car is on level ground.
Some cars may use a hex key for the sump plug.
Start engine and looks for leaks.

Car hand book gives oil capacities and how to reset service indicator.

If you are worried, take it to a fast fit place to have the oil change. Think they'll charge about £35. There was a posting on here about that a few days ago.

It's just easier to get an oil change done by someone to be honest. You can supply the oil though.... You won't have the hassle of getting rid of the old oil then either.

That capacity you quote is possibly for the 1.9 which uses less oil. I buy 5l bottls and generally use all but a small amount of it.

Fiddliest bit is removing the oil filter as there's some bits in the way.

Thanks guys,

I might just take it somewhere to be done to be on the safe side, I have got my car booked into Midland VW for a Cam belt change Saturday and they said they would do it for me as I will buy the parts and just charge me labour.

I did want to attempt it though but it would be easier just getting them to do it.

Bailey

Just get the garage to do it. Sometimes the oil filter is stuck on like a b***h and you need a oil ratchet strap to remove it (alternatively you just ram a screwdriver through and unscrew it that way. In no way ideal but worked when I was 17 on an old golf!!!

I peronsally do my oil changes because I never have time to get a garage to do it

Bailey, just go ahead and do the oil change straight forward job, you may want to get a new sump plug from Audi as I think the seal on the plug is built in. The oil capacity is about 3.8 ltrs when you change the oil filter as well, the oil filter on the 2.0 tdi is a slip on filter cartridge as per your parts list. The oil filter is accessible by unscrewing the black plastic cover with hexagon flats on it anticlockwise direction, don't use a screwdriver as previously advised as you will require the black plastic filter cover again on reassembly!!! Also put a little fresh oil around the o ring in the filter cover to help it seal and just nip it up as you will crack it if up tighten it too much.

Just done a DIY oil change on my gf's A3, used the code OILSPILL30 to get 30% off oil at euro car parts, oil and filter for 20 bucks which is a bargain, as mentioned above only extra thing is new sump plug from audi