Insuring and remapped car with Admiral

Smiffi

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Anyone had trouble doing this? When I used Tesco the last time I had a remapped car they done it all instantly over the phone. I called Admiral today and they said the request was blocked and that it will need to be sent to the underwriter whch could take a few days. What a pain! I was hoping to install the map today!!

They won't insure modified cars, that's what they told me anyway I had to cancel and get new insurance lost half a year's no claims.

But shiz happens.

They won't insure modified cars, that's what they told me anyway I had to cancel and get new insurance lost half a year's no claims.

But shiz happens.

I'm insured with Admiral and have declared tinted windows and alloys. I know they're not massive mods but they're mods nonetheless.

Also got a quote of +£60 for dropping the suspension by 25mm.

If anyone that needs insurance let me know. I can get it cheaper mate works in company for admiral send me a pm for a quote

But shiz happens.

they're aving a laugh with you or the operator is talking out of their backside, my last 2 cars and the s3 have been insured with them, modified and mapped.
Mods are even on the online quote facility!

I'm with Admiral, and have all my mods declared - remap, lowered, exhaust, brakes, wheels. I'd rather pay for the priviledge than not be insured. Don't remember the exact figures, but I think the map exhaust and wheels added nothing, and the brakes, map and lowering added about £60.

And when they say they won't insure mapped cars, they mean they won't insure YOU on a mapped car. Check your postcode insurance grade, consider any licence endorsements etc... do you have any no claims bonus? Insurers aren't keen to bother with risky policies, so they'll even flat out reject your application, or offer a ridiculous quote to make it worth their risk.

Last edited:
I'm with Admiral, and have all my mods declared - remap, lowered, exhaust, brakes, wheels. I'd rather pay for the priviledge than not be insured. Don't remember the exact figures, but I think the map exhaust and wheels added nothing, and the brakes, map and lowering added about £60.

And when they say they won't insure mapped cars, they mean they won't insure YOU on a mapped car. Check your postcode insurance grade, consider any licence endorsements etc... do you have any no claims bonus? Insurers aren't keen to bother with risky policies, so they'll even flat out reject your application, or offer a ridiculous quote to make it worth their risk.

I see what you are saying but I have full no claims (15 years), no points on my licence and my postcode is pretty decent and cheap to insure too. I have had mapped cars insured before without any problems albeit with Tesco.

Admiral called me today saying the underwriters want more details like bhp after map, map company and who is installing it. I've given them the info and I am now waiting to hear back from them. Bit of a carry on TBH, wish I hadn't bothered! It was really easy with Tesco. I don't want to change insurers now as I am on a multi car policy and my missus could do with the no claims that she would lose if I pulled the plug on the policy.

I've just used Go Compare to get a quote and get this, Admiral came in top with a price of £432. They have called the mod 'Chipped/engine management system'. I'll try them again tomorrow with this info and see what they say. I did see in KentKids previous thread that this Chipped not Remapped issue had been seen before so theres hope for me yet!!

Just tried it standard £422 and then Filter, exhaust and map.......£468!

I have just been looking at insurance for my remapped 3.0 TDI quattro a4. Admiral came up with a pretty good price (also try elephant.co.uk as they are the same company but you can play them off against each other)
Just let them know what % increase in BHP you get with the map as there are 3 levels (something like under 20%, 21-25%, and over 25%). You can even pay extra to insure the mod itself so you get the cost of it covered in the case of a claim.
In the end though I went with sky insurance. Whilst only 70 quid cheaper than admiral they do understand the mods better so I'm hoping there would be less hassle later should I need them.

Compare the market is never cheaper than going into the actual website, the make commission on top. If u do a quote on admiral for example and then do it on comparing website you will noticed the difference.

In the end though I went with sky insurance. Whilst only 70 quid cheaper than admiral they do understand the mods better so I'm hoping there would be less hassle later should I need them.

Glad we could help, thanks for the feedback

At last! They have called back and the are prepared to cover me for an additional charge of £58 for the remainder of my policy. Sweet.