344mm Brake Calipers with 345mm Discs

Richh999

Reaction score
Hi guys.

Got a great offer on MK4 R32 brakes so I was just wondering if...

I know that the R32 MK4 brakes a 5x100 334mm discs however I was just wondering whether the calipers would fit on the 8p and whether 345mm discs would then fit in them or should I just find some other brakes, get the 334mm discs redrilled?

Will the calipers fit with other discs or not?

Thanks

I'm no expert in brakes but i would say no they wont fit the larger discs. i also dont think the mk4 calipers would fit your 8p as if they were a straight fit loads of the mk4 golf folk would be going for s3 callipers...
I would suggest save a bit more cash and go for the s3 set up

Fairly sure the won't fit, as is my understanding it's not really a dimension issue, and more so just to do with the fact the bolt holes just won't match up on the carriers.

I've got a mk4 Golf at the moment and I've not seen any running 8P S3 brakes straight out of the box. All our upgrades come from either the R32, or mk4 platform Cupra R.

Thanks for the responses guys..

Well the discs themselves are actually a different profile and if they were drilled to fit the hub PCD the calipers would then need spacers to fit the hub and then need riduclous wheels for clearance.. The MK5 hubs are further out than the mk4 for what I can see..

The carrier bolts however look to be a similar distance though so maybe if 345mm disc were turned down to the smaller size they may fit?? Or carrier 'extenders' were fabriacted to move the caliper further out they may work.. hmmm.. Maybe a bit too much work for a free brake upgrade from my 288mm but can fabricate most things as I'm handy with tools..

Saving up for hybrid turbo as mines going to die soon but want to do brakes first without spending too much really..

Does anyone have a spec sheet with the dimensions for the S3 brake discs and calipers??? Thanks

Hi rich give me a shout if you want my s3 brakes..

So I've been looking into getting a proper S3 brake setup however I was bored today and I'm not the sort of person who think inside the box, or out side it really.. More the kind that sees a box, picks it up, tears it to pieces and burns them and then thinks so yeah..

I looked at how hard it would be to fit the MK4 brakes.. Well, from what I can tell not too hard with a piece fabricated..

The 334mm discs and caliper inside my wheel.. mmmm..

IMG_0102.jpg

I removed my old brakes and then offered up the larger caliper..

IMG_0101.jpg

put a 280mm disc on for size.. The 334 discs are completly wrong and wouldn't work..

IMG_0104.jpg

IMG_0106.jpg

IMG_0105.jpg

Postion of mounting holes..

IMG_0107.jpg

Down the inside..

IMG_0108.jpg

measured from the edge of the 280mm disc to the caliper is around 40mm..
This means I could fit upto a 360mm ish size disc however obviously the pads wouldn't cover it however it would be similar effect as 288mm to 312mm upgrade as the pads aren't changed???

By fabriacting something like this I could attach the caliper inline with the hub..

carrier.jpg

Now modifying the carrier slightly could move a caliper inwards slightly onto 245mm discs and thus it may work or I could use larger discs..

Love this picture too..

IMG_0110.jpg

Really bouldnt bother mate will b a total chew on and ordering parts eg disc n pads would be a pain in the future or for owner after your if not put back to standard

Back in circa 2004 I had a classic shaped Impreza Turbo and I wanted to fit the gold brembos from the newer shaped STi to it.
The fronts went straight on but the rears were a different story.
Several people told me it couldn't be done......but they were wrong!
I set about measuring the hub/disc/calliper to fabricate an adapter bracket.
A few years later you were able to buy an off-the-shelf kit but it proves it can be done.
Shown below were the final results(yes I know the calliper is upside down in one of the pics)

rearbrembos2002.jpg

rearbrembos2013.jpg

rearbrembos2007.jpg

rearbrembos002.jpg