brake pads

Dan Hobley

Reaction score
Hey all

So the a3 flew threw MOT. just front tyres and pads getting low and need replacing.
worth upgrading pads or stick with standard? car has been remapped to 205BHP now..

did a cheeky quick search on forum and nothing found...correct me if im wrong..

EBC yellow stuff were advised?

Dan

i dont want to spend a shed load on the cost of these, how easy are they to replace myself? never replaced pads before....

regards

It's an easy job mate providing you've got the right tools (Brake Caliper Piston Wind Back Tool).
[h=1][/h]Winding back the caliper piston can be difficult if the pads are very low.

I tried the EBC RedStuff pads

Awful.... No increase in bite and no discernible improvements.

TBH, 205bhp is not going to be setting the world alight.

Another way of thinking about it, you wont be going faster than you would if you had 150bhp anyway ... you may have simply reached the 60mph limit a bit quicker! Stock brakes are more than adequate for a 200bhp car IMO.

Round a track is another story.

No piston wind back tool needed for front pads, they just push in using ie big pair of pliers or a g clamp or something like that

I recently just used my thumb to push back in the ones on our Polo. Maybe I just have super strong thumbs ... to much computer gaming maybe :)

I had to use the wind back tool on rear calipers. Lets just say it took much longer than I expected it would...

Thanks for the responses guys, so i got a quote of £25 to have the pads changed if I supplied them and the guy will do it on my drive (mobile mechanic) May just get him to do it. I have no jack currently so could prove to be a little dodge on the supplied one ha.
so standard will suffice? Much difference if I got the green stuff ones or even then ultimax?

Thanks again

If he turns up without a jack tell him to do one,bit like a brickie turning up without a trowel :)
Stick with some standard ones from gsf if for everyday use on standard discs/callipers.

He is pretty good. Think he is some old guy doing it in spare time. Did some work on dads car.
ok standard it is then.

As long as you use caution Dan or he does,easy to change so the longest time spent will be lifting the car up

Don't go for greenstuff, wrong rating for your car. Not tried the red but I have yellowstuff on my car that's putting out just over 300bhp and I really like them. Ultimax is a slotted disc not a brake pad

So still unsure what pads to get..the ultimax pads were cheaper than oem ones but give off loadsa brake dust?
found some feroda ones on eBay but the guy says they won't fit my model?

Anyone know where I get said feroda? Pads from?

2007 Audi A3 s line 3 door

Well..so I already ordered pads before reading the above but noted for next time. Replaced worm pads with Brembo pads. Quite an easy Job once a mate showed me. Gd stuff!