After getting to the bottom of my losing water problem (turned out the rad was visibly leaking, luckily) I've now got a new problem;
I've started getting quite a bit of white/grey smoke that smells like diesel fumes. This happens randomly.
- Sometimes it smokes a lot on start up, sometimes it starts without so much as a waft of smoke.
- It doesn't matter if it's hot or cold.
- It's at it's worst when pulling away in 1st gear. In fact, when driving it hard in the higher gears it hardly seems to smoke at all.
- I'm not losing any water or oil.
- Besides the smoke, the car runs perfectly and I haven't noticed any loss of power.
- VCDS doesn't pick up any fault codes.
While Audi were changing the radiator about 500 miles ago, I also got an oil change service done. I then bought the air filter and diesel filter from them and fitted those myself, so all the filters are new and genuine.
(They also gave me a free sump after striping the thread, but that's another story).
I did notice the boost pipes under the front drivers side of the engine bay are oily at the joints, but Audi didn't seem concerned about this.
Do these symptoms sound like a boost or vacuum leak, or do they sound like the turbo is on it's way out?
If it was the turbo, then wouldn't it happen more at higher revs and full boost, rather than when pulling away normally in 1st gear?
Does the engine twist more when pulling away in 1st gear, because I'm wondering if it's opening up a split pipe or joint under these conditions?
I'm baffled, please can anyone offer any advice?