A8 to A3 steering wheel change? MFSW / DSG

chatel

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I hoped this would be a quick question/answer!

I have an A3 2004 3.2 V6 with DSG and old 3 spoke steering wheel / single stage airbag.

I understand I can upgrade to a newer A3 style MFSW with DSG & with dual stage airbag as just a straight plug and play as I have the DSG already and thus the correct loom for it to plug into.... With some coding of course...

However, my question is this... Can I retrofit an Audi A8 DSG mfsw to an Audi A3??

Thanks

Hi everyone, I hoped this would be a quick question/answer!

I have an A3 2004 3.2 V6 with DSG and old 3 spoke steering wheel / single stage airbag.

I understand I can upgrade to a newer A3 style MFSW with DSG & with dual stage airbag as just a straight plug and play as I have the DSG already and thus the correct loom for it to plug into.... With some coding of course...

However, my question is this... Can I retrofit an Audi A8 DSG mfsw to an Audi A3??

Thanks

Unfortunately your first assumption is incorrect. You may well have DSG but the airbag control module in your car is single stage for all airbags and therefore will not support the installation of a two stage airbag.

You will always show airbag errors and, more importantly, you cannot guarantee that the bag will go off when necessary !

Mike,
Hi, thanks for your reply... I agree with point 2 but re point 1 ive read many posts of people on this forum who have done this mod and the light remains off even when connected to stage 2.... I Even saw the mod being done about 8 weeks ago and no light.. hence why i want to do it but need info on A8 connections...

If you're only bothered about the light not being on then so be it !

I'd be more worried about the airbag not going off if and when necessary !

Regarding the wheel fitment, physically it will fit, but whether it will code in properly, I'm not sure.

Yes, the A8 wheel will fit and code to work on the A3.

I have fitted Dual Stage airbags to Single Stage cars before but I have always made my customers sign a disclaimer to tell them that I've made them aware that the airbags may not deploy, as Mike correctly said.

You're right that the lights wont be on the dashboard, but without replacing the airbag ECU the airbags themselves may not deploy.

I read some where on here I think about a guy done this mod and crashed his car no air bags went off. He strongly advised not to do a single stage to double. As they can't be test until its too late.

jb0o,
Hi, thanks for this... is the ecu specific for the a8 or specific to a dual stage system...
If I just upgraded the A3 single stage to the new A3 dual stage would i need a new ecu in this case also?
Can the current ecu be recoded for a dual stage?

Thanks