AH FabricationsChris Nott
Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Oil service

  1. #1
    RYes3's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    730

    Oil service

    Hey,

    When I bought my 2012 S3 I bought a service plan too. This obviously is on Audi's long life plan.

    I have decided I am going to do a separate oil change every 5K as I don't want to wait until 19K when the first change is due. I'm just coming up to 4K now so I would like to make sure that the local independent will use the right oil and also if there is anything else that needs changing i.e. oil filter?

    While on the subject, how is the "time until next oil service" calculated on the DIS? Will this reset if I have the oil changed?

    Thanks in advance for any info
    2012 RS3 Ibis White | Black Styling Pack | Black Roof Rails | Bose | Cruise | Tyre Package | Privacy Glass

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    RYes3's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    730

    Oil service

    Oops, I put this in the welcome section by the looks of it, can a mod please move it, thanks.
    2012 RS3 Ibis White | Black Styling Pack | Black Roof Rails | Bose | Cruise | Tyre Package | Privacy Glass

  4. #3
    Turbo jay's Avatar
    Leather repair specialist

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    North west
    Posts
    547
    Hi mate yes every time you have an oil change the filter should always be replaced I've noticed your in cheshire and I've found that national tyres are by far the cheapest and they use castrol edge 5w30 which is what you want. Oil change and filter £35. That's cheaper than buying 4 litres of it anywhere and you don't even have to get your hands dirty

  5. #4
    RYes3's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    730

    Oil service

    Thanks for that info Jay! That's really cheap too! I work near Northwich and I think there is one there!
    2012 RS3 Ibis White | Black Styling Pack | Black Roof Rails | Bose | Cruise | Tyre Package | Privacy Glass

  6. #5
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    561
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo jay View Post
    Hi mate yes every time you have an oil change the filter should always be replaced I've noticed your in cheshire and I've found that national tyres are by far the cheapest and they use castrol edge 5w30 which is what you want. Oil change and filter £35. That's cheaper than buying 4 litres of it anywhere and you don't even have to get your hands dirty
    I've used than before without problems but I'm never convinced they use Castrol Edge, they just nip out the back and come back with a pourer with the oil in, lots of horror stories on the internet about them.

  7. #6
    Turbo jay's Avatar
    Leather repair specialist

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    North west
    Posts
    547
    Quote Originally Posted by Minstadave View Post
    I've used than before without problems but I'm never convinced they use Castrol Edge, they just nip out the back and come back with a pourer with the oil in, lots of horror stories on the internet about them.
    the reason I know they use castrol edge 5w30 is my mate is the manager at my local national tyres and I was in last week getting an oil change and I was in the back and seen the massive drums of edge 5w30 For myself the reason you don't see it is because the drums are usually kept in the back due to size and weight,they have a pump on and just full a pourer up at a time hope this helps to reasure anyone who has heard horror stories

  8. #7
    RYes3's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    730

    Oil service

    What kind of horror stories has there been?
    2012 RS3 Ibis White | Black Styling Pack | Black Roof Rails | Bose | Cruise | Tyre Package | Privacy Glass

  9. #8
    Turbo jay's Avatar
    Leather repair specialist

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    North west
    Posts
    547
    Quote Originally Posted by S3_NOOB View Post
    Thanks for that info Jay! That's really cheap too! I work near Northwich and I think there is one there!
    no problem mate happy to help

  10. #9
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    561
    Using any old oil, cheapo filters, leaking sump plugs (they reuse the sump plug gasket), charging for undertray removal, hard selling other items.

  11. #10
    Turbo jay's Avatar
    Leather repair specialist

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    North west
    Posts
    547
    Nice car by the way mate, with you being in Cheshire n8's arranging a northwest monthly meet starting next month I think, you should get yourself down just check the north west section out soon for more info I'll be going should be good!

  12. #11
    RYes3's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    730

    Oil service

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo jay View Post
    Nice car by the way mate, with you being in Cheshire n8's arranging a northwest monthly meet starting next month I think, you should get yourself down just check the north west section out soon for more info I'll be going should be good!
    Thanks I will check that out for sure!
    2012 RS3 Ibis White | Black Styling Pack | Black Roof Rails | Bose | Cruise | Tyre Package | Privacy Glass

  13. #12
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    397
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo jay View Post
    Hi mate yes every time you have an oil change the filter should always be replaced I've noticed your in cheshire and I've found that national tyres are by far the cheapest and they use castrol edge 5w30 which is what you want. Oil change and filter £35. That's cheaper than buying 4 litres of it anywhere and you don't even have to get your hands dirty

    £35, how can they afford to may any profit on that? Castrol Edge 5w30 ranges from as little as £35 for 4 litres from Asda to £50 from halfrauds. With oil, filter and sump plug plus labour £35 must not make them any money. I'm assuming it's cheap because they want you to get an oil service and buy more when you are there. However if that is genuine 5w30, with genuine oil filter, providing the crush washer on the sump plug is renewed then at that price I'd get an oil change once a month!!

  14. #13
    SAiLO's Avatar
    Enthusiast

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    933
    Quote Originally Posted by Ads_AudiA3 View Post
    £35, how can they afford to may any profit on that? Castrol Edge 5w30 ranges from as little as £35 for 4 litres from Asda to £50 from halfrauds. With oil, filter and sump plug plus labour £35 must not make them any money. I'm assuming it's cheap because they want you to get an oil service and buy more when you are there. However if that is genuine 5w30, with genuine oil filter, providing the crush washer on the sump plug is renewed then at that price I'd get an oil change once a month!!
    It's cheaper if you buy several drums of the stuff I'd guess.
    VCDS USER

  15. #14
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    397
    Quote Originally Posted by SAiLO View Post
    It's cheaper if you buy several drums of the stuff I'd guess.
    Good point, I still reckon £35 for an oil change is losing them money though. After you factor in overheads etc. but none the less, £35 is damn good price for an oil change. Cheaper then what I can do it for myself.

  16. #15
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    561
    They dont replace the sump washer, might be worth taking your own.

  17. #16
    RYes3's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    730

    Oil service

    Thanks for the info guy's.

    Anyone any ideas on how the DIS calculates the "oil service" interval?
    2012 RS3 Ibis White | Black Styling Pack | Black Roof Rails | Bose | Cruise | Tyre Package | Privacy Glass

  18. #17
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    397
    Quote Originally Posted by S3_NOOB View Post
    Thanks for the info guy's.

    Anyone any ideas on how the DIS calculates the "oil service" interval?
    Most commonly date and / or miles

  19. #18
    RYes3's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    730

    Oil service

    So it wont reset automatically after an oil change?
    2012 RS3 Ibis White | Black Styling Pack | Black Roof Rails | Bose | Cruise | Tyre Package | Privacy Glass

  20. #19
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    397
    Quote Originally Posted by S3_NOOB View Post
    So it wont reset automatically after an oil change?
    Nope, I'd buy a new sump plug crush washer though from previous posts and ask them to use it. Available from any good motor factors

  21. #20
    Turbo jay's Avatar
    Leather repair specialist

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    North west
    Posts
    547
    Quote Originally Posted by Ads_AudiA3 View Post
    £35, how can they afford to may any profit on that? Castrol Edge 5w30 ranges from as little as £35 for 4 litres from Asda to £50 from halfrauds. With oil, filter and sump plug plus labour £35 must not make them any money. I'm assuming it's cheap because they want you to get an oil service and buy more when you are there. However if that is genuine 5w30, with genuine oil filter, providing the crush washer on the sump plug is renewed then at that price I'd get an oil change once a month!!
    Massive multimillion pound company it's obvious they buy in bulk I've seen the massive drums of it myself anyway everyone to there own but as long as my mate works there and it's well cheaper than anywhere else am going! and if there was anything dodgy he would of said fact

  22. #21
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    397
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo jay View Post
    Massive multimillion pound company it's obvious they buy in bulk I've seen the massive drums of it myself anyway everyone to there own but as long as my mate works there and it's well cheaper than anywhere else am going! and if there was anything dodgy he would of said fact
    I wasn't saying it wasn't legit, just that they can't be making much money if anything on the oil service alone. TTypical business tactics are sell at a loss enticing customer to buy more, nothing wrong with it, just don't buy loads you don't need lol

  23. #22
    cloughy's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    515

    Oil service

    They don't use genuine filters and they charge £12 to take the tray underneath off so take it off before you go

  24. #23
    Andy Crooks's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Worcester
    Posts
    798

    My Social Networking

    Follow Andy Crooks On Twitter Add Andy Crooks on Facebook
    My 1st oil change is booked in for 1st thing tomorrow with there "free" health check which I will be watching them do but the cheapest I found for oil change was £183. I had a car crash end of last month front end damage £4,000 worth, new bumper, new grille, number plate, turbo, side wings, passenger side headlight, radiator, bonnet, fan. would they have done anything then that will be done in the service

  25. #24
    Smiffi's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Tyne & Wear
    Posts
    154
    Just do the oil change yourself. That way the filter and sump plug are changed for sure. I used to get a real sense of achievement doing the oils on my E46 M3. I even done the gearbox and Diff oil while I was at it. Took all day but it was worth it!!

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. DSG oil service - Audi say No need!!!
    By AFN1980 in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 20th April 2010, 10:45
  2. air bag light and oil service light
    By zeeeebo in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 13th August 2009, 11:49
  3. Changing from Variable interval oil services?
    By Nessy in forum Diesel forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 30th April 2009, 07:51
  4. Oil Service on 07 2.0T FSi
    By OutLore in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 18th February 2008, 18:22
  5. OIL & SERVICE LIGHT SHOWING ON A3 MILEAGE METER?
    By turbodan in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 5th July 2006, 10:04

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO