From leicester

Mikey1980

Reaction score
Guys & girls

Im new to this and wondering if i can get some help or advice

I have a 04 reg audi a3 with 55k on the clock and recently the engine management light came on with the code 16618.....the aa guy checked the car and sed the turbo was fine so what else am i spose to be looking for?

Many thanks in advance

Hi Mikey, welcome to audi-sport.net. Any pics of your of your car? Have a read at the faqs threads at the top of the page, lots of useful information in there. One of the guys will be along to advise you on the code. Enjoy the forum. :) x

Turbo vanes sticking and causing overboost. Very common fault - please do a search as you will find loads of info.

When asking for advice you should always say what engine it is - I assume you have a BKD

The AA man is wrong I'm afraid - have you noticed any whistling sound like a police siren ?

Here is an explanation of that fault code :- 16618/P0234/000564 - Ross-Tech Wiki

Thank you for replying

It is a Audi a3 2ltr tdi s line

No whistling sound my friend the car sounds the same there's no smoke or anythin

There are different A3 2 litre engines. Check inside the front cover of the service book and it is most likely to have the engine code BKD.

Boost pressure problems are very, very common on that engine. Has the car ever gone into 'limp' mode ? Turbo vanes get sticky and do not open and close properly. Too many revs and the engine will shut down to protect itself. Please search 'overboost' and you will find a lot of information.

Where abouts in Leicester are you mate? Im also based in Leicester so if you need anything give me a shout

I cant thank you enough for replying it really means alot

The car went into limp mode as i noticed it wasnt picking up as usual so i switched the car off and back on and it was normal again . This happens now n then and then the engine management light came on and thats when the aa gave me the code 16618

I havent put my foot down since then as he removed the light of the dash board . The engine has never shut down on me either .

The code in the book is bkd