Badger5AH Fabrications
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    535

    Cheaper to spray or buy mirror caps?

    I've got a Lava Grey A3 and would like to have black mirrors so that they match my soon to be black diffuser and black grill.

    Am I best just getting my existing mirror caps sprayed black or should I just buy some already black mirror caps?
    WANTED: S3 Side Skirts (3DR)

    A3 S Line DSG TDi 140 (56) | Lava Grey | Groove & Drilled Discs | Green Stuff Pads | Eibach Sportline Springs | Eibach Spacers | Full heated leather | RNS-E 2010 MK2 | Rear Parking Sensors | Interior Light Pack | Heated Mirrors

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    Zak0123's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    458
    Have you thought about plati-dipping them? Might be your best bet!
    Brilliant Black 61 Plate A3 1.6 TDI

    Mods: S3 BE 5 Spoke Rotor Wheels with Goodyear EfficientGrip
    , AppRadio 2, 80% tints, Diamond Vision Headlights

  4. #3
    ScottD3's Avatar
    I want your faulty electronics

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    English Riviera
    Posts
    15,006
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent_Trig View Post
    I've got a Lava Grey A3 and would like to have black mirrors so that they match my soon to be black diffuser and black grill.

    Am I best just getting my existing mirror caps sprayed black or should I just buy some already black mirror caps?
    Do you want them permanent?

    Like Zak said you can plasti dip them and wrap them all in black.
    Its removable, so you can go back to standard if you get bored or sell the car.

    Or just paint them.

    New Car, New Thread: Scott's Akoya Silver A8
    Gone But Not Forgotten: Audrey's Build Thread

  5. #4
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    535
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottB5 View Post
    Do you want them permanent?

    Like Zak said you can plasti dip them and wrap them all in black.
    Its removable, so you can go back to standard if you get bored or sell the car.

    Or just paint them.
    Is the finish as neat and durable as a decent spray job?
    WANTED: S3 Side Skirts (3DR)

    A3 S Line DSG TDi 140 (56) | Lava Grey | Groove & Drilled Discs | Green Stuff Pads | Eibach Sportline Springs | Eibach Spacers | Full heated leather | RNS-E 2010 MK2 | Rear Parking Sensors | Interior Light Pack | Heated Mirrors

  6. #5
    ScottD3's Avatar
    I want your faulty electronics

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    English Riviera
    Posts
    15,006
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent_Trig View Post
    Is the finish as neat and durable as a decent spray job?
    Plasti dip, no.
    When painting you sand it down to get it nice and flat.
    Plasti dip you don't. you just spray it on and walk away.
    Its not a really bad bumpy job but it wont be as smooth as paint.
    It also starts off matt and you need to coat in a glossifier to get it to be glossy.

    This is the finish of plasti dip on my roof.


    As for wrap, you can get a really good finish and it comes in gloss.

    They are both durable.
    Wrap has a warranty life of 10+.
    Plasti dip is a bit of a unknown. I don't think any one really runs it long enough to find out.
    A year is the most I've seen and it still looks good.

    New Car, New Thread: Scott's Akoya Silver A8
    Gone But Not Forgotten: Audrey's Build Thread

  7. #6
    Zak0123's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    458
    Agent_trig check this out How cool is this.. PLASTI DIPPING YOUR CAR!!!, some more of Scott's sprays in there too.

    P.s. Scott's the man to listen to, check out his avatar pic
    Brilliant Black 61 Plate A3 1.6 TDI

    Mods: S3 BE 5 Spoke Rotor Wheels with Goodyear EfficientGrip
    , AppRadio 2, 80% tints, Diamond Vision Headlights

  8. #7
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    535
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottB5 View Post
    Plasti dip, no.
    When painting you sand it down to get it nice and flat.
    Plasti dip you don't. you just spray it on and walk away.
    Its not a really bad bumpy job but it wont be as smooth as paint.
    It also starts off matt and you need to coat in a glossifier to get it to be glossy.

    This is the finish of plasti dip on my roof.


    As for wrap, you can get a really good finish and it comes in gloss.

    They are both durable.
    Wrap has a warranty life of 10+.
    Plasti dip is a bit of a unknown. I don't think any one really runs it long enough to find out.
    A year is the most I've seen and it still looks good.
    Thanks for the info dude.

    However, looking at that image has made me think I'll stick to good old fashioned paint job
    I want a solid flat gloss finish that looks OEM.
    WANTED: S3 Side Skirts (3DR)

    A3 S Line DSG TDi 140 (56) | Lava Grey | Groove & Drilled Discs | Green Stuff Pads | Eibach Sportline Springs | Eibach Spacers | Full heated leather | RNS-E 2010 MK2 | Rear Parking Sensors | Interior Light Pack | Heated Mirrors

  9. #8
    ScottD3's Avatar
    I want your faulty electronics

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    English Riviera
    Posts
    15,006
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent_Trig View Post
    Thanks for the info dude.

    However, looking at that image has made me think I'll stick to good old fashioned paint job
    I want a solid flat gloss finish that looks OEM.
    Standard paint job is it.

    When I have some more dip and time I want to see how flat I can make it.

    New Car, New Thread: Scott's Akoya Silver A8
    Gone But Not Forgotten: Audrey's Build Thread

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. How easy is it to remove wing mirror caps for spraying
    By xeryus in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 8th January 2008, 16:50
  2. Chrome mirror cap fitting
    By Arf in forum A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 5th October 2006, 00:09
  3. Best place for mirror caps?
    By gurds_1 in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 8th May 2006, 02:22
  4. A4(b6) chrome mirror caps(s4 look)
    By Arf in forum A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 18th March 2006, 05:23
  5. Ebay chrome mirror caps
    By Ryanc in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 22nd December 2005, 16:47

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO