A3 3 door Thule roof bars = leaky window seals?

monster_munch

Reaction score
I have bought some Thule roof bars and fixing kit for my 3 door A3 so I can fit a roof box for holidays and mtb trips away.

I fitted the bars tonight and have a question. The rear bar clamps fit above the rear windows inbetween 2 arrows, the clamp foot goes inbetween the rubber window seal and the car frame.

If I was to leave the roof bars on for months at a time, when I come to remove them for whatever reason, will the window seals have moulded themselves round the clamps and therefore leave a gap for water to leak down into?

Has anyone had any experience of this?

Cheers.

I have bought some Thule roof bars and fixing kit for my 3 door A3 so I can fit a roof box for holidays and mtb trips away.

I fitted the bars tonight and have a question. The rear bar clamps fit above the rear windows inbetween 2 arrows, the clamp foot goes inbetween the rubber window seal and the car frame.

If I was to leave the roof bars on for months at a time, when I come to remove them for whatever reason, will the window seals have moulded themselves round the clamps and therefore leave a gap for water to leak down into?

Has anyone had any experience of this?

Cheers.

Hi Monster_munch,

I've just got an A3 3 door and was wanting to get roof bars to carry bikes - I saw your post and was wondering if you had any replies, or what your experiences are so far.

I'd probably be wanting to keep these on long term too.

Thanks,
Stuart

The Thule roof bars and fitting kit are top quality and a perfect fit on the car.
I had it all fitted for about a month with a roof box on for a Devon trip and had no issues.
After the month, I removed the bars as I was a bit paranoid, but the window seals werent deformed or away from the window in any way whatsoever.
At the minute I have decided to just keep putting the mtb in the back of the car and refit the roof bars as and when I need to use the roof box.