Potential owner almost scared off by oil pump issues...

Jakerossi

Reaction score
Hello chaps, first post, though I've been reading through the forum pages for a while.

Im here because I am gathering info toward my next car purchase.

Ive had my heart kinda set on a 2.0 tdi 140 (will probably remap it At some point), and have been reading up on potential issues with the car as well As asking mechanics.

Unfortunately today I discovered the whole oil pump and balance shaft issue, and it makes for scary reading.

So far I've gathered that this is a huge problem, one that your either having or are going to have with this engine.

This has really ****** on my chips as i simply can't bring myself to spend the £6000 a £8000 I had budgeted for a 2006 or 2007 model knowing things are so definitively bleak!

So is that that then? Is there no hope for me or my sanity if I bury my head in the sand and buy one anyway?

Probably not, Friday nights aren't the busiest times particularly during the Olympics!

Cant you buy one that has full service history with receipts that shows he repair has recently been carried out? At least then you'd have a safe period?

If you manage to find any car that doesn't have a documented issue that sounds terrifyingly expensive then let me know... or just trust that if there was anything likely to go wrong it'd be covered by a recall or warranty. Otherwise, you have to just accept that anything outside of a Toyota Camry isn't going to be clear of issues production-wide.

Option 2 - get a 170 and forget about the 140's "quirks".

It's like any car, some will be riddled with problems & others won't. Some will go wrong at 100 miles, others won't have an issues well into 180k! Some 140s have had porous heads (depends on batch), the turbo can be a week point also.

In 4.5 years and 51k, I've just had to replace a battery, turbo and track rod end, so I'm very happy overall.

N8...you've had to replace the turbo and your happy still???!! They shouldn't go pop for double that mileage in reality!

I thought the oil pump issue was in the A4's and no the A3? As far as I'm aware the A3 does have some issues but not with the oil pump?

I've just bought an 06 2.0 TDI 140 S-Line with DSG. I know these cars have problems so got the dealer to chuck in a warranty for 12 months at no extra charge :yes:

One of the reasons forums are so useful is because you can post issues you have with your car and there is a wealth of knowledge of what might be the problem. Scanning through these forums and most of what you see is various issues with cars so I wouldn't get put off because of what you read on forums.

Ive had my 2006 a3 tdi 140 for nearly 4 years now. Bought it with 40k on clock now got 80k. Only issues I've had are a wheel bearing, a leaky suspension and a throttle flap. Excluding wear and tear items and mot/services I've probably spent around £700 total in repairs. Not too shabby.

Scanning through these forums and most of what you see is various issues with cars so I wouldn't get put off because of what you read on forums.

I agree but from what i have read and what the mechanic told me this is a little more serious than the usual problem.

If you dig deep enough every car has its problems.

The key thing to take note of imho is how serious are these problems and how likely are they to occur. This is whats bothering me.

My mechanic told me this is a huge issue. He advised that its so bad he wouldnt touch that particular model, at least in the earlier years 2005-06. I then went on the net and googled it and lo and behold, theres a huge amount of info on this problem.

Basically when it occurs your looking at a £1500 repair bill.

I also read on another forum that there was a survey amongst owners of this engine and the numbers in were something like out of 140 owners, 40 had this problem at some point.

Also Audi did not issue a recall, and deny that there is any problem at all, so they aint fixing it.

That to me seems like more than your usual 'niggles'.

Sorry if this is negative, im gutted it now looks like i need to go after something else!

It'll be interesting to see how many people on this forum have had this issue!
Spot on Nate,I know about other models derv problems,but not the A3 as far as I know on ASN

Oil pump? I got a feeling the OP is referring to the tandem pump.