Erratic idle/accelaration 3 faut codes, what to do ?

J_V_DUB

Reaction score
Hello Chaps,

Hoping that some of you might be able to shed some more light on the problems I have.

I have a 2.0FSI N/A A3 on 04 plate, recently the car started behaving erraticaly. When I try and start it turns over a few times before it kicks in. Tested the battery and it's spot on. Today when I set off for work I was in 2nd gear and the car suddenly lost it's power for a split second. It felt like someone slammed on the brakes and then came back to normal. The engine sounds like a ****** diesel.

I have one of those cheap handhel scanners from ebay so I plugged it in to see what comes up and we have the following codes :

16395/P0011/000017 - Bank 1: Camshaft A (Intake): ****** Setpoint not Reached (Over-Advanced) [h=4]Possible Symptoms[/h]
  • Power Loss
[h=4]Possible Causes[/h]
  • Camshaft Adjustment Valve 1 (N205) faulty
  • Fuel Pump Relay (J17) faulty
  • Mechanical Timing not correct, including Chain and/or Belt timing.
[h=4]Possible Solutions[/h]
  • Check Camshaft Adjustment Valve 1 (N205)
  • Check Fuel Pump Relay (J17)
  • Check Mechanical Timing
[h=4]Special Notes[/h]
  • When found in Engine: 4.0l W8
    • Check TPL 2010059(RoW)
      • Check/Replace Oil Sieve in Timing Case (Camshaft Adjuster)
Then we have this little beauty :

16725/P0341/000833 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40): Implausible Signal
[h=4]Possible Symptoms[/h]
  • Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) active
[h=4]Possible Causes[/h]
  • Wiring from/to Camshaft Position Sensor (G40) faulty
  • Camshaft Position Sensor (G40) faulty
  • Timing misaligned
  • Check Wiring from/to Camshaft Position Sensor (G40)
  • Check Camshaft Position Sensor (G40)
  • Check Timing

And last but not least we have this :

16825/P0441/001089 - EVAP Emission Control Sys: Incorrect Flow [h=4]Possible Symptoms[/h]
  • Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) active
[h=4]Possible Causes[/h]
  • Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Purge Regulator Valve (N80) faulty/jammed
  • Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Purge Solenoid Valve (N115) faulty/jammed
  • Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Sealing faulty
  • Pipes between Tank Breathing and Throttle Body leaky/blocked
  • Check Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Purge Regulator Valve (N80)
    • Perform Output Test
  • Check Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Purge Solenoid Valve (N115)
  • Check Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister
    • Perform Basic Setting
  • Check Pipes between Tank Breathing and Throttle Body
[h=4]Special Notes[/h]
  • When found in the NAR 1.8T Audi A4 1.8T check TSB 24-08-78 or 2010268/3 or Pass-Thru equivalent TSB
  • When found in the NAR 1.8T VW Passat 1.8T check TSB 01-09-09 or 2005554 or Pass-Thru equivalent TSB
    • Note: The Passat 26E5 or "R5" recall includes the same software update
  • Make sure the quick release lines for the N80 valve and vacuum line to LDP are not crossed.
    • This can also make the engine hard to start after filling up the fuel tank.
Now I'm due a cambelt change and a service (longlife cycle I believe) and the car is booked in for tha work to be donet at the end of August as I'm getting hitched next week so all my funds went towards this. My questions is, is the cambelt change going to sort out the camshaft (is it the same thing?) and the timing etc???? Not really clued up on it and I'm not mechanically minded as it is so all of the above means nothing to me really :( The most confusing one is the last code which just means nothing to me.

If anyone can help and shed some light that would be really appreciated.

Cheers
Jack

Anyone???

Really pooing my pants now because I need to do another 1000 miles more or less before it gets to the garage...

Well if it sounds like a diesel and you've got what it appears to be timing issues, I'd say don't drive it, your gonna bend valves etc.

Possible that you could have a faulty fuel pump, this may cause your power loss (fuel starvation)

Garage it now before the bill gets bigger.

Change camshaft sensor for a new one.

hopefully then, you'll be away.

Id have a look at the fuel pump first, as if fuel isn't getting to the engine then this may effect timing as the amount of 'bangs' isn't gonna be right an perhaps throw the timing?

Im no mechanic, but that's where I'd start.

hi there. from reading your post and possible fault codes i think your best of changing the camshaft sensor as if this is reading incorrectly then i am sure it will throw your whole engine timingout off whack. i may be wrong but sounds good to me. with this changed and reading correctly your engine should start runnihg smothly again. has the car beenfully serviced includingfuel filter recently aswell. cheers Jamie