A problem starting when engine temp is at half way......

BigWillyStyle

Reaction score
Hi, as above really.

I Was hoping someone hcould help me solve this problem. Car starts fine when the engine is cold normally, sometimes stalls but not often.After a journey and and the engine temp is at about half away and i try to start the engine again it misfires then starts.

Its been on a Diagnostic machine and no fault codes.

The model is an 04 A3 S-line btw.

Thanks in advance, Will

Any lights on the dashboard???

I'm sure I've read somewhere TDi's can suffer with coked up throttle bodies. Usually a starting issue will be driven by air / fuel mixing or lack of strong ignition, so it's the natural starting point for any investigation. Check there are no pipe leaks etc.

Cheapest test might be to put some TDi specific injector cleaner through the car and see if it has any effect. When was it last serviced?

My bro-in laws 170TDi has just had injectors replaced and the injector loom (by Audi even though out of warranty), but I'm not sure if this issue is the same on the 140's.

warren_S3- The only light that has popped up a couple of times is the passenger air bag. Its been knocked off but comes back on. I'll have to look when it was last serviced as ive just bought the car but the air filter does need changing. Ive already changed the fuel filter. Just hoping its nothing too serious. Thanks for the reply.

mjr901- Thanks i'll read that when the Boss is not looking over my shoulder :readit:

Hi, little bit of an update.....Today when i started the car and left it in park i noticed that the engine had a little bit of a rattling noise coming from the main part of it. The rattle wasnt constant but more of an intermitent rattle but do you think this could be anything more sinister? :uhm: Thanks in advance....

Hi, little bit of an update.....Today when i started the car and left it in park i noticed that the engine had a little bit of a rattling noise coming from the main part of it. The rattle wasnt constant but more of an intermitent rattle but do you think this could be anything more sinister? :uhm: Thanks in advance....

Sorry mate but ' a little bit of a rattling noise' isn't going to get any replies !

You would need to be more specific about the rattle, perhaps even to the extent of a video with audio. The rattle is not necessarily symptomatic with the starting problems.

I'm hopeless at posting vids etc....

I've only just noticed the noise but dont think it rattles when the engine is hot. I'll have a listen later on and hopefully get more info.

Thanks

Sorry mate but ' a little bit of a rattling noise' isn't going to get any replies !

You would need to be more specific about the rattle, perhaps even to the extent of a video with audio. The rattle is not necessarily symptomatic with the starting problems.

the rattle sounds like the duel mass flywheel to me , mine needs one !