Broken Into - Some Advice

• Thread starter imported_TuffLittleUnit
  • Start date
I

imported_TuffLittleUnit

I was woken this morning by my neighbours knocking on the door to inform me that my Sportback was sat on the driveway with the driver's window smashed out.

Further inspection showed that the doors hadn't been opened and the only thing which appeared to be missing was my TomTom Bluetooth GPS which had been stored in the driver's door pocket. I know the door hadn't been opened because all the glass fell out when I tried to, so all the thief has done is smash through the window (no brick inside so they came prepared) and reach down into the door pocket.

I couldn't fathom this because the TomTom is tiny and was concealed from view (my car has a light grey interior and the TomTom is the same colour). Furthermore, my expensive Oakley sunglasses and a fair wedge of CDs were all untouched in the armrest/glovebox and my laptop was safe in the boot (won't be doing THAT anymore!).

But after some consideration I think I have the answer as to why I was broken into when there wasn't anything valuable on show. My ower's manual is stored in the door pocket as per the guidance in the Audi manual. Peering through the passenger side window it can look like a small handbag is tucked in the door pocket. So, I suspect that the thief has broken in thinking they were getting a handbag, been disappointed but got the TomTom as a consolation prize. Still, they don't have the power cables for it and it's battery is currently flat so they'll get feck all for it.

Anyway, the point of this post isn't to look for sympathy, it's to warn anybody who, like me, follows trivial instructions to the letter that although keeping your manual in the door pocket may seem reasonable it's actually a really dumb thing to do as it encourages the smash and grab scum.

B4stards. Could have been worse but still a bummer.

Personally I don;t read the manuals that come with cars as I am far to lazy. The fact the I am abit anal about my car being clean and un cluttered means that the owenrs manual gets taken out and tucked into a drawer at home....

Very unlucky TLU, hope you get you window sorted soon.

And thanks for the advice about the owners manual.

Was it still turned on?

it is possible for thieves to scan for bluetooth devices near a car using a mobile phone and then take their pick.

The most annoying thing about the whole episode is that they thought the manual was a handbag i.e. my car looks like a bird's car.

[ QUOTE ]

LOL....dude the guys been through enough without saying his ride looks like a chicks car!

[/ QUOTE ]

MB, it was TLU car that got done. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[ QUOTE ]
The most annoying thing about the whole episode is that they thought the manual was a handbag i.e. my car looks like a bird's car.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's coz it's a sportback /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif

[ QUOTE ]
That's coz it's a sportback /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/10_1_114.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

LOL....dude the guys been through enough without saying his ride looks like a chicks car!

[/ QUOTE ]

MB, it was TLU car that got done. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Doh... Ok I'll lchange that post to be Dude you;ve been through enough wothut implying you drive a chicks car..

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

I thought the 3 door was the girls car.

They can't afford the extra doors on the Sportback, need the wider opening doors of the 3 dr to get in and out (especially when preggers) and the less doors they have the less chance of them driving off with one open!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The Sportback is the 'family' version of the A3.....

I still think 'Sportback' is a silly name - might mean something in the US I suppose.

With the previous A3 (8L) Audi UK refused to import the 5-dr when it first came out because they wanted to retain the 'sporty' appeal of A3 by having it available in 3-dr only. Funny lot these marketing guys.

Well thats sad news, I never leave anything on show in mine, door pockets empty etc etc.....

Hope you get new glass quickly...
STEVE...............

I don't leave anything that could remotely be attractive to and scum walking past... even a plastic carrier bag or coat/jacket, cos they'll break in and see what's in it!

oh, and I think the sportsback is a great car... for an estate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I think what is a great pity is that the glovebox is not big enough to take the black folder that contains all the manuals etc. I believe in carrying it all the time in case of any problems so suppose will have to transfer it to the boot. I don't think it will even fit in the draw under the seats.

As said, best not to leave anything on show......unless you have a rabid dog who hasn't been fed for a week.

Anyone else find the 'alarm on' LED daft? Seems to flash a lot when you first set it but then the frequency drops off considerablely - i.e. when you aren't at the car and need it the most! Think this is why I always used to think Sportbacks on forecourts at dealers didn't have an LED as you'd rarely see it flash.

Just out of interest, but does everyone leave their owners manual in their car?

I generally leave mine in the drivers door pocket. My car is always locked up in a garage overnight though.

Many years ago, when I has an Audi 90 2.3E that car was broken into 3 times in my office car park and the radio stolen even though I had the front panel on my desk. The worst part was cleaning up all the broken glass from inside.

Just a quick question, do you have the standard tom tom mounting kit, if so I guess they took the chance based on that.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm confused...
Why didn't your alarm go off ???

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently the alarm did go off but it's so quiet I didn't hear it - and my car is parked about 5 metres from my bedroom window.

Don't know what noise your alarms make but my neighbour who was awake at the time thought it was somebody reversing!

Re the TomTom mounting question, I always hide the mounting kit under the passenger seat and then fix to the window when required (I don't normally need the satnav to guide me the 2 miles to work)

My manual (and all vehicle documents for that matter) stays indoors as well. Gutted to read this TLU - I'll be checking my Sportback this evening to make sure it's empty inside.

I do sometimes wonder though that because of the nature of Audi ownership, i.e. a premium manufacturer, pondlife will have a go at the car anyway because they might find something expensive stowed away even if it isn't visible. Makes you sick.

Maybe they'd seen the Tom Tom unit on a previous occasion and tried their luck one night? My neighbour has a road angel and you can see the sucker marks in his windscreen clear as day.

I don't think they thought the manual was a handbag either, scum may be scum, but they are not that daft and they spend a lot of time looking in car windows and know what they are after.

The door deadlocks should stop them opening the doors too, even after breaking the window.

Still bad luck though.

Just spent some time witing in my Road Angel........... But now it looks as if I need to spend some time removing the wiring.

Guy at work, has a well looked after almost new ST170 (well he likes it). He is in the Ramblers and is off walking most weekends. He parks up with his mates and generally they dont have any problems. Until last weekend, he never leaves anything in the car. He has a wired in RA too, and the only sign of that was the single wire in the corner of the das, as he always removes it and stows it under the seat. They must have spotted the wire, so smashed his side window got in and stole his RA. Did a bit of damage scratch wise too. I often park up when we go biking so permanent wire is coming out, sad isnt it?

I have a simple cost effective answer to all of these problems:

Tom Tom etc - Buy a map and learn to read it, no one nicks them.

Road Angel - use your eyes/brain instead, much safer, cheaper and not nickable.

If you buy the recent AA map with speed camera sites in it you can kill two birds with one stone!!

These tips have served me well over the years. (except recent m-way vascar incident, but GPS/Detectors can't spot that anyway)

[ QUOTE ]

-snip-

[/ QUOTE ]

...or sell the car and walk everywhere? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bang.gif

Difficult to read a map whilst driving, so in the event of unforseen route changes for whatever reason, satnav would appear to be the better option. My photographic memory is failing as well, leading me to think I'd be better off with something that can remember the map perfectly.

Also, I'd prefer to use my eyes and brain to look out for potential and actual road hazards, rather than stupid yellow boxes on poles, if it's all the same to you.

Either way, you can try and minimise the attractiveness of your motor to thieves, but if they want to, they'll still just put a brick through the window on the offchance of an iPod in the glovebox. Scum.

Sorry to hear about it anyway, TLU. Hope you get it all sorted out soon, and that your insurance co. don't add insult to injury...

-Lou

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-snip-

[/ QUOTE ]

...or sell the car and walk everywhere? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bang.gif

Difficult to read a map whilst driving, so in the event of unforseen route changes for whatever reason, satnav would appear to be the better option. My photographic memory is failing as well, leading me to think I'd be better off with something that can remember the map perfectly.

Also, I'd prefer to use my eyes and brain to look out for potential and actual road hazards, rather than stupid yellow boxes on poles, if it's all the same to you.

Either way, you can try and minimise the attractiveness of your motor to thieves, but if they want to, they'll still just put a brick through the window on the offchance of an iPod in the glovebox. Scum.

Sorry to hear about it anyway, TLU. Hope you get it all sorted out soon, and that your insurance co. don't add insult to injury...

-Lou

[/ QUOTE ]
Agree with this, I dont want to be a Luddite.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif