Anyone with panoramich roof/roof rails/new windscreen and had a leak? Please help!

Cossie_boy

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a very bad leak, getting worse with this stupid weather coming in like a tap, its not the door cards as seems to be common so can only go on it being the sunroof, roof rail, or top of screen.

The highest point I can trace the water coming in is where the head lining meets the top of the windscreen pillar, if I pull the rubber door seal back it drips from there but if left alone it seems to run down and out the bottom of the pillar by the tweeter and onto the plastic covering the fuse box, then runs down the trim and into lake A3 on my floor pan :blownose:

Has anyone expeienced or heard of this? as there seems to be nothing on the net about the roofs or rails being prone to leaking, even spoke to Audi UK who claim nothing known and not covered as an 08 car.

I did notice when I opened the roof today after it had rained last night there was this much damp or water on the runner part inside

WP 000515

I have had to put a car cover on it to keep it from just totally runining the carpet, this is just an addition to the fact the tandem pump is gone, being sorted out Wednesday and Cargiant are paying the parts, great! but now I have this to contend with as well :( I dont think Audi or their bodyshop/interior people would do a repair quote for free? as its going to take time to find I guess, although it must be on that side somewhere, ive tried pouring water on and thought i had isolated it to the seal between the roof and rail but I am not 100%, any info at all much appreciated!

Many thanks for reading

CB

Sale of Goods Act mate, you only just got this car (I think?), any fault that appears within the first 6 months is considered, legally, to have been present at the point of sale and therefore the sellers responsibility.

Go bend them over!

Indeed Gov!

Under normal circumstances I would, however its reading things like...cargiant dented my car whilst in for repair then refused to pay for it...thats makes me not want to take it back!

The standard sunroof actually has drain pipes for this very purpose should water get in pass seals afaik, maybe you should check if yours 1st has these & 2nd are pushed on ok as mine leaked on standard roof & found was the pipe has coome of when I was fitting some wiring, stupid fixing but once back on it wasnt coming of again.

I would drop your roof lining & do some tests, I'd do for you but away atm.

Cheers for the info, I have tonight discovered it seems to be leaking between the front of my para roof and that black tinted or plastic bit above the top of windscree, so at least its a step further!

Thats a sealant issue mate, has to be as thats the only thing between the 2 things.

The standard sunroof actually has drain pipes for this very purpose should water get in pass seals afaik, maybe you should check if yours 1st has these & 2nd are pushed on ok as mine leaked on standard roof & found was the pipe has coome of when I was fitting some wiring, stupid fixing but once back on it wasnt coming of again.

I would drop your roof lining & do some tests, I'd do for you but away atm.

I've seen this a few times before. The fixings seem pretty poor!

Best thing to do is pull the headlining back, get someone to squirt the roof and identify where the waters coming from.

If its leaking from the roof/windscreen a good lick of sikaflex should sort it!

I have identified the water coming in above the drivers side and in through the seal of the pana roof and fixed plastic black bit,l I believe these unclip somehow?!

With dropping the head lining, what about all the air bags though?!

Im not sure what I would need to seal up :/

Was hoping it had drain tubes which could have been blocked?

Like here :-

VWVortex.com - How prevalent are panoramic sunroof problems in the 2010 Tiguan?

Roof lining wont affect the airbags, so just drop it down, you'll be fine.

Ok cheers, its just the front so how am I best to do this? I guess removing grab handle n sun visor?

Light assemblies, handles, visors, rear trim that covers back of lining above boot area & dont worry if it seems to crease a little, it will settle back again when put back, just dont end in half lol, seats down & angle to one side when sliding out.

Dont bother, remove it all so you can fully assess, test & fix it.

I...may...have narrowed it down even futher tonight, some more taping up and watering but its not possible its coming in through either the very corner of the roof at the front that opens, or that flexible plastic strip that runs from front to back of car.

I understand the air bag igniter is near the interior light? its just I was going to remove the drivers vanity light and interior light cluster in the hope it may show some or all of the problem, I take it things should be ok removing the interior light part?