Rear shock absorber sleeve

rsbowling

Reaction score
Hi, I have just noticed on the nearside rear of my 05 a3 2 tdi se the sleeve which covers the strut of the shocker has fell off! Looking at the other side it appears to be plastic. Has anyone experienced this problem? Or does anyone know if this part is available? I believe this coukd of been the cause of a rattle also.
Many thanks
Richard

I also have this problem. About a month ago I noticed the offside wasn't there and in the last week I've noticed the nearside is also now missing.

How they've come off I don't know. So information on this would be appreciated as well.

They are plastic sleeves held on by a metal collar that simply pushes on to the bumpstop and the plastic sleeve, I bought new ones when I fitted my coilovers but couldn't use them as I cut my bumpstops down, they are available to but from audi and are VERY cheap to buy(about £5 iirc)but as I couldn't use mine I will give them to whoever wants them if they pay postage :),
I will have a look for part numbers in the meantime,I got mine from Stoke Audi,
Oh while I remember, mine are for the oval shaped bumpstops where as some A3's All mk2 TT's and mk5 golfs (cars with same platform)have round bumpstops,
look at your rear bumpstops and you'll know what I mean

Hi,

I think the same thing has happened to my offside rear shock. No cover and just a corroded metal ring hanging around a bottom of shock near the wheel. Is this an easy fix or am I looking at a new shock?

Near side looks fine but I assume it's best practice to replace in pairs i.e both rears at once?

Regards,

Richard

the dust covers are fairly inexpensive, but if you have some zip ties laying around you can fix it in few minutes. honestly it took me longer to remove and install the wheel back than the fix itself.
2014 08 12 184417 50

Reactions: Pergan
Hi,

Thanks for the pic. That looks like a good fix. Where can you get the covers from? Should I replace the ring too or just tie up?

If your covers are gone completely you will need to dismantle the shocks so I would replace the rings as well. They are not very expensive. Mine were just dropped down and all I needed was to pull them back up and tie it up. The ring is aluminum so just some oxidation there, not corrosion. they are not pretty but work just as new.
Where to get them is a question for a local guys. I am from Slovakia so I can't advice in this regard. But Audi dealership will be more than happy to sell you some although you might get a better deal elsewhere.

Thanks for the advice. I will double check but I think the cover has gone completely.

I'm not a mechanic or handy with that side of cars. Is it a hard job to take the shock apart to put the new cover on? The ring is still there just hanging loose at the bottom.

If you have no experience in this field I would leave it to a professional. But honestly if your shocks are not new, I would wait for the shocks to start failing and replace the covers and shocks at the same time. Those plastic covers are there to protect the schools from the road dust. Tie up those rings up so that they don't rattle while you drive and don't worry about it. You will end up paying more for he work than the parts when replacing the covers only. If they are fairly new, get new covers and have it installed by a professional.

Thanks for the advice. I might just tie the ring up for now and wait until the shock goes. I've had the car for 2 and a half years and not replaced them so shocks are at least that old if not more.

How can you tell if the shock has failed by looking at it? (Ride doesn't seem too bad).

if your ride is bouncy than they are failing. Especially if you go over some bumps or uneven terrain and the car bounces around. you can check them by pushing the chassis towards the ground it should return back without bouncing. if it bounces they are bad.

Cheers for the help and advice. I'll check that out tomorrow. I'll jack the car up and see if the cover is still there as well.

I had a look and I think the problem as is described. Please see pics.

390bb0ca42404f5acf1748737424333f.jpg

e60342262b0b2840c1bade714bc59f3b.jpg

Not sure if it will be better to just replace them now as they've been on the car a while I would think.

Regards,

Richard

I had a look and I think the problem as is described. Please see pics.

390bb0ca42404f5acf1748737424333f.jpg

e60342262b0b2840c1bade714bc59f3b.jpg

Not sure if it will be better to just replace them now as they've been on the car a while I would think.

Regards,

Richard
Have you actually removed the wheel? It may be dropped down and you don't see it now. It is just a plastic cylinder.

Hi,

No not taken it off as I can't find my socket wrench at the mo (doh!)

I have taken a few pics as the height does seem different on the back wheels I am more or less parked flat (just about).

Pics 1 and 2 - rear side in question

5aeb736c08ba2e716c93b4c0ff0245f5.jpg

e270bc8a08cab4f3431b80301979d1a7.jpg

Pics 3 and 4 are rear side supposedly "good"

c3a9f234773b7d08309b840c428dbbd0.jpg

bf3cfeaa0a8dffc4eda52dffa06566b6.jpg

try parking the car the other way round and see if it is still the same. any cargo in the boot, seats? There is a lot of things that can affect the ride height. also the springs can be at fault not the shocks. If your ride is okay just try removing the wheel and see if the dust covers are still there, fix those if they are there and just drive on :)

Reactions: RL
Ride feels ok and got kids seats in back no luggage.

I took your advice. But didn't need to take wheel off in the end. Jacked it up to max of shock and managed to put my hand down back of wheel and as you said, the cover was there!

I have coped the cable tie fix best I can. What do you think?

91c1c96c327c429910f5c33f09fc79ab.jpg

Ride feels ok and got kids seats in back no luggage.

I took your advice. But didn't need to take wheel off in the end. Jacked it up to max of shock and managed to put my hand down back of wheel and as you said, the cover was there!

I have coped the cable tie fix best I can. What do you think?

91c1c96c327c429910f5c33f09fc79ab.jpg
Looks good, although I would firstly tighten the lower loop around the dust cover so it does not get loose and drop again. But as long as it holds up together all is good.:) I am glad I could help!

Yeah it's pretty tight but I just tightened the two vertical ties a bit much hence why it's pulled the top and bottom ties a bit. Will see how it goes and worst case they come off and I have to re do.

Thanks for all your help. Saved me a few quid as I thought I needed new shocks!

Regards,

Richard