Replica Alloy wheels

Rubz

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Im thinking of getting a set of BBS CH wheels for the new motor and looking for rep wheels as im not really prepaired to pay the full whack for original bbs wheels.

Now ive read that bbs reps are slightly heavier but that doesnt bother me, also they are only 8j instead of the real 8.5j.

Now mY question is, where would be/ is the best place to get a set with-out tyres..??

Cheers,

Euan.

Just a word of warning, replica wheels can vary wildly in quality. I've got a set of cheap, gravity cast reps, and in three years two of them were bent by the tyre shop, and one was cracked on a pothole. I know forged wheels are pricey, but you can get rotary forged wheels at a decent price, or even low pressure cast will be stronger than gravity cast. Good luck! :thumbup:

N8 knows my story, but I had a team dynamics pro race 1.2 crack on me recently for no reason whatsoever, as hadnt hit pot hole & was run on motorway with no kerbs, no dents, no tyre damage etc.

For what is known as a very premium wheel is very strange & in now 20 years of driving, only wheel thats ever cracked on me.

Now however my reps I used for years on our S3, S4, A3's have never once caused me any issues for dents or cracks & they were kerbed, potholed etc with only one very large deep pothole denting a wheel which in all honesty was a 19 inch with an elastic band on it, so take from this what you want, but my experience has thrown me back a bit as I expected a rally wheel to never in million years with my driving, crack as it did.

i look at it this way premium has checks at forging level like ut testing that spot defects, nobody is perfect but id rather pay for that than a rep that is a bit like schrodinger's cat

Its the fact I had to enslave god to get the damn thing swapped out, took some loud voices to get them to do it, IMHO they were, except for 2 guys, fairly ueless with service, but I got it replaced & they forgot the damn wheel cap but sent me one later when I voiced about this, fact the sales manager was almost arguing with me how one lady treated me was a joke, not impressed at all if honest about the whole thing, I expected a shed load better CS & has made me seriously consider whether to keep the wheels.

Mine are reps on the s3 and have had them for 3 years now with no problems and have had a afew sets of tyres on them aswel. So to me they were a bargain.

My RS4 reps on 19's were 1.5kg lighter than an OEM 19 " rotor per wheel!

The reps were to be fair poor quality finish, pitting in the paint, required loads of weights to get them to balance, so if I was to get non OEM wheels In the future I'd probably go to someone like VMR.

Your suspension set up, local road quality and driving style can impact any rim. I wonder whether OEM or say BBS rims have TUV approval rating??