EM TuningAH Fabrications
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    JMerrie's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    79

    Front Plate Removal

    Does anyone know where i can get one of these grills:

    7347940816_67ee3051ab_z.jpg

    I want to lose the front plate!!
    Car: Audi S3: Black Edition (APR Stage 2+)
    Next Meet: GTi Springfest (14th April 2013)
    Readers Ride: Coming Soon Gallery: Coming Soon

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    ScottD3's Avatar
    I want your faulty electronics

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    English Riviera
    Posts
    14,997
    Audi.
    Is it the US style grill?

    New Car, New Thread: Scott's Akoya Silver A8
    Gone But Not Forgotten: Audrey's Build Thread

  4. #3
    JMerrie's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    79
    I am not sure, just looking to get rid of the plate and holder from the front!!
    Car: Audi S3: Black Edition (APR Stage 2+)
    Next Meet: GTi Springfest (14th April 2013)
    Readers Ride: Coming Soon Gallery: Coming Soon

  5. #4
    Fossie

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Rhubarb Triangle
    Posts
    3,969
    Quote Originally Posted by JMerrie View Post
    I am not sure, just looking to get rid of the plate and holder from the front!!
    Where are you going to legally put the front plate ?

  6. #5
    ScottD3's Avatar
    I want your faulty electronics

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    English Riviera
    Posts
    14,997
    Quote Originally Posted by mike foster View Post
    Where are you going to legally put the front plate ?
    Does it matter?
    Its his car and his license.
    It none of our concern what he does with it.


    I did spend 3 years with no front plate and no issues from the coppers.
    They've even asked me how I did and where I got the parts from.

    New Car, New Thread: Scott's Akoya Silver A8
    Gone But Not Forgotten: Audrey's Build Thread

  7. #6
    JMerrie's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    79
    Well to be fair the car is going to run with no plate when at shows, but I am in the process of building a removable bracket that fits next to the fog light.

    Was going at attach it to the tow hitch but that is not on the legal side of the car!!
    Car: Audi S3: Black Edition (APR Stage 2+)
    Next Meet: GTi Springfest (14th April 2013)
    Readers Ride: Coming Soon Gallery: Coming Soon

  8. #7
    moag's Avatar
    she's no d-turbo

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    819
    Quote Originally Posted by JMerrie View Post
    Does anyone know where i can get one of these grills:

    7347940816_67ee3051ab_z.jpg

    I want to lose the front plate!!
    They cant be bought. Ash made that grill using an A3 front grill surround and the mesh from an RS6 grill.

    Im hoping to do something similar but its not a cheap job.

    I ran no plate for a while but it brought me nothing but bother. All depends on what the local coppers are like really
    For Sale -
    A3 rear wiper motor and arm
    A3 air vents
    56plate A3 S-Line full speaker system including amp

  9. #8
    JMerrie's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    79
    I wonder if he fancies making another one?? Lol!! :D
    Car: Audi S3: Black Edition (APR Stage 2+)
    Next Meet: GTi Springfest (14th April 2013)
    Readers Ride: Coming Soon Gallery: Coming Soon

  10. #9
    JMerrie's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    79
    OMG, £450 for the RS6 grill alone ... Humm this is going to be expensive!!

    What would you suggest to secure the cut out grill inplace once fitted into the S3 surround??
    Car: Audi S3: Black Edition (APR Stage 2+)
    Next Meet: GTi Springfest (14th April 2013)
    Readers Ride: Coming Soon Gallery: Coming Soon

  11. #10
    moag's Avatar
    she's no d-turbo

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    819
    Quote Originally Posted by JMerrie View Post
    OMG, £450 for the RS6 grill alone ... Humm this is going to be expensive!!

    What would you suggest to secure the cut out grill inplace once fitted into the S3 surround??
    Yep its a dear job

    I spoke with my painter/bodywork man about making one today. Basically there are two options, you can either plastic weld the mesh to the inside face of the grill surround
    or
    create a groove in the back of the surround, cut the mesh to size and then glue it in place. (This will probably look better as the mesh will sit deeper in to the grill)
    For Sale -
    A3 rear wiper motor and arm
    A3 air vents
    56plate A3 S-Line full speaker system including amp

  12. #11
    N8
    N8's Avatar
    Kowalski Details

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Salford, Manchester
    Posts
    17,133

    My Social Networking

    Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    Thats an RS6 grille and I love Mike, he is the police officer of ASN

  13. #12
    JMerrie's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    79
    Well I don't care about the cost or the time ... This has to be done ... I looks to damn nice!!
    Car: Audi S3: Black Edition (APR Stage 2+)
    Next Meet: GTi Springfest (14th April 2013)
    Readers Ride: Coming Soon Gallery: Coming Soon

  14. #13
    Fossie

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Rhubarb Triangle
    Posts
    3,969
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottB5 View Post
    Does it matter?
    Its his car and his license.
    It none of our concern what he does with it.


    I did spend 3 years with no front plate and no issues from the coppers.
    They've even asked me how I did and where I got the parts from.
    Scott - I was interested in how he was going to do it. He posted on the forum so we are entitled to ask the question. It seems from your post that you thought I was questioning whether or not he was going to do it legally. I wasn't, I might be interested in doing it myself if it looks ok and I would only do it if it was legal.

    I know it's his car and his license and I know he is entitled to do what he likes with it legal or not but you could do with thinking through your answers a bit more before you post them !

    As far as spending 3 years without a front plate is concerned I wonder what would happen in roadworks with average speed cameras which only use the front plate ? I wonder if you would get to the end before being stopped !

  15. #14
    ScottD3's Avatar
    I want your faulty electronics

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    English Riviera
    Posts
    14,997
    Quote Originally Posted by mike foster View Post
    Scott - I was interested in how he was going to do it. He posted on the forum so we are entitled to ask the question. It seems from your post that you thought I was questioning whether or not he was going to do it legally. I wasn't, I might be interested in doing it myself if it looks ok and I would only do it if it was legal.

    I know it's his car and his license and I know he is entitled to do what he likes with it legal or not but you could do with thinking through your answers a bit more before you post them !

    As far as spending 3 years without a front plate is concerned I wonder what would happen in roadworks with average speed cameras which only use the front plate ? I wonder if you would get to the end before being stopped !
    That what I did read it as.
    Sorry if I got it wrong or if it came across aggressive (reading it back now, it does read a bit like it. opps. )

    Its just that I've noticed more people seem to be concerned with preaching what we can and can't do regarding the law over answering the questions people have asked.
    I understand now that's not what you was doing, so I'll get my coat.

    I never had any issues with cameras.
    One speed camera vans took my picture, then wrote down my rear plate but nothing ever happened. I got the picture somewhere.
    Might be a change in the times that coppers are cracking down a bit more on plates than they use to or they are profile people more now?
    I don't know but OP is right, it does look very nice.

    New Car, New Thread: Scott's Akoya Silver A8
    Gone But Not Forgotten: Audrey's Build Thread

  16. #15
    Fossie

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Rhubarb Triangle
    Posts
    3,969
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottB5 View Post
    That what I did read it as.
    Sorry if I got it wrong or if it came across aggressive (reading it back now, it does read a bit like it. opps. )

    Its just that I've noticed more people seem to be concerned with preaching what we can and can't do regarding the law over answering the questions people have asked.
    I understand now that's not what you was doing, so I'll get my coat.

    I never had any issues with cameras.
    One speed camera vans took my picture, then wrote down my rear plate but nothing ever happened. I got the picture somewhere.
    Might be a change in the times that coppers are cracking down a bit more on plates than they use to or they are profile people more now?
    I don't know but OP is right, it does look very nice.

    Ok mate - all forgiven

  17. #16
    ScottD3's Avatar
    I want your faulty electronics

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    English Riviera
    Posts
    14,997
    Look what I found




    Ok back on topic.

    Don't the yanks run with out a front plate?
    I thought I seen some images of them with no front plates and no number plater holder.
    Or is that a different set up?

    New Car, New Thread: Scott's Akoya Silver A8
    Gone But Not Forgotten: Audrey's Build Thread

  18. #17
    N8
    N8's Avatar
    Kowalski Details

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Salford, Manchester
    Posts
    17,133

    My Social Networking

    Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    In certain states yes, they are not required to have front plates, lucky swines! I've been plateless (in the window) around 3 months now and so far, so good

  19. #18
    RPB
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Notts.
    Posts
    318
    You'll find the aggro will come with the ANPR quote from the police perhaps? Anyhow, good luck! It does look awesome with no front plate
    2011 61 plate S3 SB BE DSG - Shark Stage 1 + DSG

  20. #19
    In working out the cost you should take in to account the £60 fines which will start dropping through your letter box and if it's a personal plate, the DVLA may well decide to take it away. Accept the fact - cars in the UK and the rest of Europe are required to have front number plates.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

  21. #20
    N8
    N8's Avatar
    Kowalski Details

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Salford, Manchester
    Posts
    17,133

    My Social Networking

    Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    I find it hard, facing facts!




 

 

Similar Threads

  1. A3 Front Bumper Removal
    By RichA3Turbo in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 24th February 2011, 08:00
  2. standard black front spoiler removal?
    By griffj in forum A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2nd January 2006, 22:26
  3. Front shock removal
    By clarko in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 29th April 2005, 22:48
  4. S3 Front Grill Removal for Lidatek LE-30 Install
    By wizard in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 24th December 2004, 09:55
  5. Quick Help! Number plate removal!
    By mramage in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 24th February 2003, 21:17

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO