DIY Replacing turbo on 2.0 TDi

x1nick

Reaction score
Hi

My turbo has been squealing away badly for the last week so plan on fitting a new one in the next week or so.

My question is, is there any guides on here (searched but couldn't find one) for fitting a new turbo?

I'm no mechanic by trade but have changed timing belts, suspension and lots of other stuff on cars before without issue so can't see a turbo being that difficult?

Im probably going with one of these vw golf passat touran audi a3 2.0 gt-tdi diesel turbo-charger unit 724930 | eBay

Thanks

Having watched my mate change mine, I would say that you really need to do it up on ramps. It can all be done from below using long extension bars. You should get the Oil fee pipe, a full gasket kit with the turbo (if it is a generic one get a proper exhaust gasket from TPS or Audi as we found the generic ones don't fit) I would also get a replacement exhaust clamp. Leave plenty of time - I think the book time is 3 hours. My mate who has done a few did it in 2 1/2 hours. Also a short-cut you can manoeuvre the turbo in/out using the void left by removing the DP by bending the heatshield slightly (saves dropping the subframe).
Paul