Water in drivers footwell?

Cossie_boy

Reaction score
Hi all,

Any known issues with water in drives footwell on the A3?

Notice when I lifted the mat, below the clutch/brake pedal is quite damp, cant work out if this is recent or something spilt there and not dried out.

It was washed Monday but I cant see anywhere it could be leaking in from the body, and there is nowhere it seems to have run down from above.

Looked underneath the car and no signs of anything siily.

Its has that mat since ive had it, which was been hot and cold, condesation would not make that much water, but being covered with the hot and cold would not help it try out either.

Tonight I shall try and mop it up with kitchen towels and dry with hair dryer to get it totally dry then monitor if it comes back.

Many thanks in advance for any advice

CB

A fault on older VAG cars was the drains below the windscreen getting clogged with rubbish like leaves and when water backed up it got into the cabin.

I don't know if this still exists but may be worth checking out.

Cost me a set of mats and a stinky car some years back.

Cossie boy this car really is being a pain for you:shrug:
I think there is a common prob with regards to the door drains where water leaks in to the car through the speaker grills!

Cheers lads,

Indeed Max, lol, but, im not gonna let it beat me! I actually think it may be coming from underneath, is there possibly a bung in the floor somewhere there? I had a quick look but didnt notice anything wrong, unless some **** has jacked it up in the wrong place!

Deep breaths, I used a sponge to get some water out, its not masses but there a little there, seems squishy at the bottom of the throttle pedal :/ still, I dried most of it out and used a hair dryer so hopefully all is getting better

So far its like a really fit girl, worth it, but high maintenance!

I had this in my old 8L, it turned out someone had bumped it previously and one of the panels behind the drivers wheel arch didn't meet the bulkhead properly. Water would drip down from above the accelerator. Nightmare - took it to Audi and they said the likelihood of fixing it was low.

Not trying to be a downer - just worth having a look.

Stick a hose on the scuttle panel, drivers side, and see if you see any water ingress.

Last edited:
Just been out and found the water is probably coming in at bottom of drivers door, is wet since I dried it all.

The drain holes at the bottom of the door are clear :/ its like damp on the carpet that runs along the drivers sill just in front of the seat

Another issue I had with my L was the seals in the doors, these would perish and allow water to come down the inside of the door, this then backed up on the inside of the door sill and into the drivers footwell.

ot sure if this is still an issue on the newer A3's

Cheers, ive just been reading old post and it seems a problem with the top seal, so guess ill have to do that now then!

Hope that sorts it dude! I used to keep a sponge style thing in there to mop up the water.
Glad I got shot of it in some respects.

It appears to be dripping from next to the fuse cover on the dash from above, and yes, it has the open sky roof!

I have searched but cannot find anything coming up about leaks so lets hope its something simple, any ideas where drain holes would be?

Cheers

CB

I have now established this is coming in from above, all dry and poured water from wing upwards, nothing until I did it on the roof rail, then it came through and is dripping from inside the door seal, possibly coming down the door pillar lining that the tweeter sits in!

thought might be easy to take them off and check but cant find any info on removal or if anyone else has had same leak :/

any ideas?

I have realised the seal between the driver side roof rail and the roof is not complete all the way through, so I think and hope this is where the water is getting in and then running down the pillar and out the side of the dash, then down onto the carpet!