2.0TDI 170 (Automatic!!!)?

JCMCN

Reaction score
Is the Automatic Gearbox a good thing on a 2.TDI 170? I have the chance to buy a BE ex-demo. Just a bit wary of the Auto box​

Is the Automatic Gearbox a good thing on a 2.TDI 170? I have the chance to buy a BE ex-demo. Just a bit wary of the Auto box​

You'd be a nutter not to go for an 'Auto' (S-tronic/DSG).

Do it!

I'd more wary of the DPF if your doing loads town driving. I've had four DSG/S-Tronic speced cars and touch wood everyone has been 100%

Like MrLapou I'm on my fourth 2.0TDI A3 with a DSG/s-tronic gearbox. Two have been 140 and two, including my current car, 170s. Not had a single problem with any of them. Personally I will never buy another car without a DSG. To get the best out of the gearbox drive it in 'tiptronic' mode using the centre lever and paddles - great fun!

I've a 07 2.0TDI 170 DSG, fantastic car and gearbox but be wary of mechatronics problems.

Try to get a test drive from stone cold and then drive it till engine is 90 degrees.

Once the box is warmed up you might notice a jerky take off from a standstill in first gear and then a clunky downchange to from third to second when going down a hill.

These would be the classic signs of a mechatronic unit on it's way out

If I ever go back to Derv it will definately be Auto.

As an Auto sceptic I bought a 320d manual, and thought it was very good.
Then I had a 320d Auto as a loaner and realised than Auto with a decent Derv engine is a MUCH better combo IMO.

Good luck

Cheers

Have to admit, having always been an avid manual fan, having had a go in a DSG i would have chosen one on purchase - if only you could have the TDI 170 Quattro with a DSG.

(Not wanting to hijack a thread but anyone know why they don't do this?)

probably something to do with the torsion load it could put on the box, there will be one instance in a million that it could happen when the wheels are all locked up idk i know you can retro quattro, but to a dsg box ive never really looked at one that close