Air vents smelly particularly after turning air con off.

Graham89

Derv Perv
Reaction score
Hi people hope someone could help! I've got a smelly old wet dog wiff coming through the vents particularly after the air con is switched off. I have checked to make sure no dog has worked itself into the air vents! Also i noticed the other night when i switched the car on the windscreen misted up for about 10 seconds then soon cleared.

If the fans are off the smell is not there so it's definitely something to do with the vents, maybe mould in the ducts. I have tried the Comma air con cleaner from halfords. Works for about 2 week then the smell is back. I've also changed the pollen filter twice. It only smells in the summer months as well. Happened last year, Fine through winter. Now it's back again!

Normally the smells I have encountered in cars is when the air con is ON and not when it is OFF which baffles me.

Get the air con serviced... That will debug it a removed bacteria in the system which is what you can smell. Also don't turn your air con off... It's designed to be on and let the climate regulate the temperature.

as above and also change the cabin filter at the same time..

Graham, there are two types of pollen filter for the A3. One is a normal panel filter made of paper, the other contains activated carbon. It is the activated carbon filter which should be used with an A3 with an aircon. All aircons produce water as a condensate from cooling warm and wet air. This water may help bacteria to grow within the system and cause smells. Using the activated carbon filter helps to eliminate the smells. Nothing wrong in cleaning the condenser/cooler matrix, but be sure you are using the right pollen filter as well. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply I was not aware of a carbon filter. I guess that's a Audi part? I've been using halfords pollen filters and got a can of the air con disinfectect that you spray down the vents. It's worked so far for a week.

I'll definitely get a carbon filter if that's the correct one. Funnily enough the smells only started after I changed pollen filter for a non genuine.

Graham, no the A3 filters (both types) are available from the filter manufacturers. I get my carbon version in France from a shop similar to Halfords. It was made by Valeo and is part number 7088091. Also fits the Golf V and Touran.

I Had this problem I was told to put air con on and turn heating on full when engine temp is @ max for about ten minutes this will kill any bugs in the system as the bugs will be killed @ temps over 82C. I did this a couple of times and it worked for me. no cost!!