JMB RetrofitsSky Insurance
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Wicked666

Thread: RNS-E 'G' Model SDS?

1st Gear

Status

RNS-E 'G' Model SDS?

Is there any way to activate SDS on a RNS-E 'G' model or can only the 'H' model have SDS?

Cheers
    2012 A3 Ibis White SportBack Black Edition 140

Mods so far: H&R 50mm, Rain Light Sensor, RNS-E, Cruise control, Interior OEM LED mood light, OEM LED number plate lights, OEM LED Puddle lights, OEM LED Footwell Lights, tear drop wiping, Beep confirm on close, pressed plates, HHA & TPMS.

Red A4 Black Edition 150Tdi.... On order!

Gone But Not Forgotten....
    2011 A1 Black Sline 106
    2006 A3 Red Sline 140

2. # ADS
    ADS

Audi Heaven

Status
    C and H only for SDS on European RNS-e... Not sure if others can be hacked though.
    Scott

Audi A3 Sportback 2.0T Quattro S-Line 2007 8P2
    Lava Grey, Exclusive Line Black/Silver Leather, Heated Seats, Bose, RNS-e, iPod, Auto Lights & Wipers, Interior Light Pack

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    As above a G unit is not sds able & I wouldnt want to hack a mk2 tbh, I can supply an sds unit if interested.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

5th Gear

Status
    Hazzydayz claim they can do it, but you have to be aware ( if I understand this correctly) their modification can be overwritten and therefore undone by future updates on later nav discs.

They supply sds updates for free while under warranty.

It's a nice to have, but in reality I havent even bothered to set up the sds voice dialling yet! The few calls I make, are easily selected with the mfsw.

NHN , I appreciate your stance to your customers , which I have read in another similar thread, but now the RNSE is due to be phased out is it actually likely that Audi will bother to update an old system?

I did consider getting the latest 2012 maps and update, THEN get hazzydays to do the sds mod.

Mines a MY11 MkII G version.
    Audi S3 Quattro Black Edition.

"Cruise My Ride"

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulS3 View Post
    NHN , I appreciate your stance to your customers , which I have read in another similar thread, but now the RNSE is due to be phased out is it actually likely that Audi will bother to update an old system?

I did consider getting the latest 2012 maps and update, THEN get hazzydays to do the sds mod.

Mines a MY11 MkII G version.
    TBH mate, for what Hazzydays charge, £150 iirc, your better of selling your non SDS unit and getting an SDS unit from someone like Nige and put that extra £150 towards it.

Look at it like this.

1. Hazzydays =£150 with potential headaches with updates that clear the hack and that they will only re hack for a limited time, cause knowing Hazzydays, they don't do nothing for free.

2. Sell your non SDS mark 2 unit for roughly £450 and buy a SDS version for aprox £600(not sure what he charges, sorry Nige).
    So realistically you still paid £150 for an original SDS unit and you don't get the hassle of a hack being wiped when you do updates from later discs.

No brainier really, know which option I would take!
    VCDS Owner-North London/Enfield
    " To Cruise Is What I Do"

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulS3 View Post
    They may update firmware versions, but who knows, but who needs the hassle of having to get another dvd to then update the sds again, then what if the hack goes wrong, who wants to mess about taking it out, sending it back, taking back to them, etc etc, number of scenario's that my clients dont want or need, peace of mind buys allot these days

But yes, audi will stop updating firmwares at some point or maybe already have, who knows & only the buyer can decide of there preferred method, but in all honestly, the cost of a unit from some pol or lith on ebay & sds hack used by hazzydayz plus install is pretty much same cost, so which route would you choose, I know which one I would.

Also to note, buying units of ebay using paypal has its own risk, one being when the paypal claim period is over, you may find that magical 2-3 year warranty they offer may suddenly be useless, food for thought.
    Last edited by NHN; 1st August 2012 at 13:42.

5th Gear

Status
    Thanks for your reply.

To be honest, like i mentioned above, i havent even bothered to set up sds voice commands for my phone yet, so can live without it.
    As i am in warranty, and this was a genuine factory fit RNSE, then i very much doubt i would bother unless it was something i could easily do myself with VCDS or follow a similar procedure to the MK1 hack, if it ever happens for the MK2.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    You mean if it was free lol.

5th Gear

Status

RNS-E 'G' Model SDS?

I guess it could be read that way!

I was poised to pay hazzydayz to enable it, but now realise its not a permanent install and could be undone by future updates.

As for selling my factory fit rnse and buying another SDS version it's just not going to happen. It's a step too far for me.

I wouldn't mind free TPMS through the DIS though, purely on safety grounds ;0)

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Ok then keep your factory rns & buy an sds rns lmao

2nd Gear

Status
    Anyone know if there has been any forward movement on this?
    "If you ain't first, you're last!" - Ricky Bobby

2008 A3 S-line 2.0 TDI PD140 (Pre-facelift)

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    None that you can do yourself or for free.

3rd Gear

Status
    Whats 'SDS'?
    dobbysline likes this.
    S3 Sportback

Bird is the Word!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked666 View Post
    Whats 'SDS'?
    Speech Dialogue System, voice control for nav, phone etc. Mine was done by hazzydayz and has been fine following a firmware update from a 2006 to 2010 disc. I guess it only happens in some cases. To be honest it's a nice gadget but I haven't used it that much
    S3 8P2 Ice Silver, RNS-E, Bluetooth, iPod connection, Adaptive xenons, black styling pack, sunroof, privacy glass
    Mods since owned: Milltek Resonated TBE, Neuspeed P-Flo, Loba HPFP, Sachs Clutch with Loba SMF, Unicorn Motor Developments custom remap, brakes + suspension upgrades, LEDs internal and external, more interior kit

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Reload View Post
    Speech Dialogue System, voice control for nav, phone etc. Mine was done by hazzydayz and has been fine following a firmware update from a 2006 to 2010 disc. I guess it only happens in some cases. To be honest it's a nice gadget but I haven't used it that much
    Cheers. I don't have rns for fear of my car being broken into so use Siri on my iPhone for everything as works over Bluetooth. The Audi voice control system in my car is limited and not very good.
    S3 Sportback