Upgrade to flat bottom steering wheel - Help, newbie in at the deep end!!

Claron2000

Reaction score
Evening chaps, gilries, newbie here!! :):readit:

Unfortunately, the black edition A3 S-line sportback was not out when I purchased my 58 plate and one of things different from my custom purchased spec was the very nice flat bottom steering wheel as standard on the BK edition. My vehicle was bought new with black privacy galss, full black panoramic glass sunroof, black grill, black badges you name it, it was on there. In Ibis white, I was one of the first people around to order this colour and spec and Tetbury Audi even tried to talk me out of it. When it was delivered, it seemed the franchise were spilt on whether they liked the vehicle or not but it has turned so many heads since it's delivery and still does today!! Now it seems every one is going for the white A3/S3's so I am sooooo glad I stayed with my colours (c/w with the black styling) as I do love of white cars (even though they are a bi**h to clean!)

Anyway, here lies the problem.. - I have been looking at possibly acquiring one from the bay, but I am concerned about the type and it's compatibility with my car. I have the 8P model with the tip-tronic gearbox (paddles on the steering wheel c/w multi-function controls) but is the steering wheel independent of this or does it have to be with paddles etc?

I notice lots of cars have this now on the more top of the range models and how different are they if they are removed from written off TT's and S3's etc etc??

Please find a link to some of the wheels on the bay, are any of them compatible or are they purely model specific when looking to purchase a second hand one?

audi flat bottom steering wheel | eBay

Also, will this have to professionally fitted as I do not want to attack it with some of my electrical tools (electrical engineer) and end up squashed against the seat behind the air bag!!:jump:

Also I would imagine this talks to the ECU etc, will this have to be done at it's home garage Tetbury Audi for proper recoding talking to the rest of the car etc?? Or, do independent outlets do this and if so, can anyone recommend somewhere near Bristol for this type of work without lining Tetbury Audi's pockets.

Thanking you in anticipation...

Best regards

Gary C
aka Claron2000
Bristol

You'll need an airbag aswell as yours obviously wont fit, so complete wheel, as you have mfsw already, if you disconnect battery, then do wheel/airbag swap, then shouldnt get an airbag light, otherwise you'll have to get vcds to remove the error light.

I supply/fit these wheels if of interest, so no need to worry about anything being an issue :)

Has to be the DSG type my friend. thanks for bothering to post though.

G

Hi NHN, thanks for the response.

So do you stock original Audi steering wheels and with the DSG mount, multi function controls c/w airbag?

Can you PM me some prices if so??

Thanks

G

You'll need an airbag aswell as yours obviously wont fit, so complete wheel, as you have mfsw already, if you disconnect battery, then do wheel/airbag swap, then shouldnt get an airbag light, otherwise you'll have to get vcds to remove the error light.

I supply/fit these wheels if of interest, so no need to worry about anything being an issue :)
hi mate i need an advice about a steering wheel i bought 2013 low line with dual stage airbag which i was planing to fit in my audi a3 sportback, i have been told i need to re pin the harness plug is it something you can do ? if so do you have a contact number or i can send you mine which ever you are happy with :)

hi mate i need an advice about a steering wheel i bought 2013 low line with dual stage airbag which i was planing to fit in my audi a3 sportback, i have been told i need to re pin the harness plug is it something you can do ? if so do you have a contact number or i can send you mine which ever you are happy with :)

You're probably better sending Nige a private message mate - http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/conversations/add?to=NHN

Reactions: arabtheevz