Wiring in a Road Angel.

steeve

Reaction score
Still havent got round to wiring up my road angel in my A3.
Any one put in a permanent wire for this? If so whats the best way to get the cable up to the screen?

Thanks guys....

Dealers only charge £35 for hard wiring the road angel, money well spent IMO. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Steve,

I have hard wired my road angel in and it's nice and easy. The hardest part will be finding a switched feed from the fuse box.

There is enough room between the dash and the windscreen for the cable to sit and at the end og the dash if you undo the 2 10mm bolts holding the end of the dash in place you can then push the power lead between the A pillar trim and the dash.

Give us a shout if you need any more info. Job will only take about 10-15 minutes dead easy!

J.

I have done this too. Got a ignition switched feed from the back of the light/fogs switch so the RA is activated when the ignition is on. Connected this to a ciggie lighter socket which I fixed behind the dash, there is loads of space for this. Plugged the RA in, fed the wire past the fuse cover panel (TORX bits required for this), then ran the cable around the dash. No rattles, squeeks or visible cable. Easy..

Good Luck

Had a quick look this morning, cant see the bolts holding the right hand side of the dash, where are they?

Any pics on the routing?

Many thanks...
STEVE.

(Assuming RHD car)
Pop the fuse cover and you should see one there. The other two is underneath in the footwell area. The one on the right is close to the ODBII port and the other is on the far left. If I remember correctly I used a 8mm socket for all three.

Nearly forgot - this applies to the sportback. Not sure about 3dr.

Well its RH drive car but it does not have a fuse panel....! The bolts are not visible at all. Have managed to get the wire up inside the door seal, its not visisible but it is between the A panel trim and the dash. I dont want to risk scratching the trim.

I will try for some pics fo you. The fuse cover is on the end of the dash at the right hand side. Visible when the drivers door is open. Pop the fuse cover to get to the fuses, then remove the fuse box to get behind it...

Photo's later. Good luck and you may have done this by the time I get piccies to you....

Rick

Appreciate any pictures, how does the fuse panel cover come off? Is it just grab it and pull?

Thanks

Steeve,

Open the drviers door and you will see the end of the dash, theres a panel that covers it. If you look towards the edge sorta of by the light switch theres a binger hole, easier to spot from below. Just pull it from there, wanring it can be a bit stiff!!!!

J.

Thats great, many thanks.
At present the wire is hidden away but is plugged into the cigarette lighter socket and its awful, the little cover gets in the way all the time, so I think I need to wire it in a little more permanently. So where did you pick up live from? I can see the negative or ground on your pic......
STEVE..........

Hi Steeeeeeeve.

I dont really want to take my car apart again for photo's but I can explain it easily.

Get access to the space behind the fuses by taking off the panels in the photographs.

I bought a ciggie lighter socket from Halfords. I was reluctant to cut the lead from the RA as it has a ciggie plug neatly molded on it.

I picked up an ignition controlled live from the headlight/foglight switch and scotchblocked a feed to the new ciggie socket, then the eath to the bolt on the photo. The head/fog switch can be pushed out when you have access to the rear of it, easily.

Plugged the RA cable into the new ciggie terminal, tidied and checked all was insulated, secured with cable ties. Then routed the wire behind the fuse panel (the credit card trick to seat the cable is a good one) and re assembled it all...

You should need no more than an hour...

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

But the road angel comes with 2 leads a straight one and a curyl one. I cut the end of the straight one to hard wire it! It's only a standard lead afterall and I know blackspot charge a forutne for them but you can get them else where for next to nothing. Plus it means you don;t have a great hunk of plastic kicking around behind your dash.

I'm using the lead from my road angel classic which so far has been installed in my MCS, R32 and now my Audi - just make sure you don;t cut it too short...

J.