Couple of faults need some guidance.

HerbyS3

Reaction score
Hi guys! New to this. Basically i had the dreaded rear wiper motor failure. Replaced that and then the boot warning light came on, along with the alarm going off etc etc. I changed the latch and it cleared for about 4 days. Its new just come back on...so is there water leaking to it still? Or is there something else im missing?

Another fault thats just happened while i was driving. Handbrake light came on, and a warning message "handbrake still applied" even though the handbrake was fully down. Doesnt seem to be sticking so i dont have a clue really.

Thanks in advance

Hi, only idea I have on the tailgate is that's it shorting somewhere, either from water or bad connection/damaged cable.

Handbrake sounds like the handbrake switch. How old is the car? Have you checked the earth connections?

Andy

Right did a bit of self diagnosis. The handbrake light vanished and all is okay there. I cant see water anywhere within the tailgate...all dry. So i started to strip the boot and noticed slight dampness in the spare wheel well. Feeling my hand behind the O/S cloth trim in the boot (where the central locking actuator is) the foam padding is soaking! I managed to pull the plastic trim off enough, and there is certain areas that is really damp. How the hell do i get the trim completely off to figure where this water is coming from.

Is it a sportback ?<br><br>Edit : forget that it's an S3 isn't it ?!!!!!. Convenience module is behind the o/s rear boot lining and the rear washer pipe joint sits right over it ! This joint can split apart (particularly in freezing conditions) and whenever the rear washer is used it just splurts out all over the place.<br><br>Not sure if the 3 door is the same.

Last edited:
Sorry no its a 3 door. When i moved the cable about it must of sorted it as the car is fine now. So im gathering water is causing something behind there

Thanks for the reply mike....im going to try to take that trim off tomorrow. See what condition this pipe is and dry the area. I just couldnt believe the fault happened again after fitting a new wiper motor and boot latch -.-

If it's anything like the sportback it's a very fiddly business getting the trim off enough to get in ! I think I had to loosen the rear seat back and remove some trim from the door pillar first before you can get to the bolts that secure the trim.

It's flying by the seat of the pants really, just removing bits one by one until it's loose !

Good luck !!:icon_thumright: