New DSG gearbox after 6700 miles

tiptonjuk

Reaction score
I'm new to posting on here, but I've been reading the forum for a while.

I have just purchased a 3 month old a3 2.0tdi s-line in red, with DSG, which Crewe Audi's demo.

I picked it up on Thursday, and on Saturday contacted the dealer to report a noise coming from the front passenger side of the car.

They booked the car in for Monday, spent the day test driving it, and drinking my diesel.

I picked the car up yesterday eveing, to be told that it needed a new gearbox, as it was making a noise from the Diff.

I'm not really an expert on gearboxes, but surely they shouldn't go after 7k miles.

I'm just concerned that I'm on a slippery slope here.

Has anyone got any experience of this?

Can anyone assure me that this will not happen again once it's been replaced?

Do I have grounds for rejection, or any kind of compensation?

Apart from this, the car is amazing!

Any comments greatly appreciated.

Thanks, and sorry for the long post!

P.S. The car is also in to have some scratch's removed, that appeared in the time that I 1st looked at the car, and picked it up, so my faith in this dealership isn't amazing at the moment.

Sorry to hear uncle.

Out of all the forums I read, I have only heard of 3 or 4 DSG boxes being totally replaced. 1 on a Golf GTI, a couple of TT's and now yours is the first on a A3.

DSG is new technology, so there is bound to be some initial problems. I am sure that manual boxes have to be replaced under warranty from time to time.

Once replaced i'm sure your car will be fine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Yep, agree with Japper on this - there are going to be single examples of problems with all components, it's just unfortunate that it's the gearbox in your case.

Try not to let it worry you - but it's difficult not to spend the next 10,000 miles listening for a sound that isn't there!!!

Enjoy the car!

arh - maybe thats why they were very keen to sell me that one too?

i ended up with a black s line from them

sorry to hear your probs - i've got my fingers crossed as i've just done 3k in the last 3 weeks - so gearbox is the last thing i want going

so much for audi PPI checks - mine had a defective tyre!

1000 mile replacement car scheme offered by audi for approved cars?

then they will have to find a similar car for you?

so fingers crossed you havent done 1000 miles?!

re scratches - audi approved cars are 'supposed' to be reconditioned - ie buffed out etc - they failed miserably with mine - not doing anything other than with a chip stick! - far from brilliant! - mines a company vehicle so will end up 90k plus in a few years so couldnt be @rsed complaining.

keep us informed how it goes

So your the man that got the black one, I checked that one out about 4 weeks ago now. What do you think of Crewe Audi? My scratch's are off to the bodyshop to be fixed. Well, after Thursday I'm over my 1000 miles, so I should really consider changing it. They have an 04 on there at the moment, but don't really want one that old, and they want silly money for it.

I can actually see why the DSG is quite hard on it's components,TBH.
In certain circumstances it has pretty poor clutch control and that's fair criticism I think even it's biggest fans would agree with.
I'm absolutely sure there are occasions when every DSG owner has experienced jerking or lurching that they simply wouldn't do themselves in a manual.
Even in 'D' mode,which is supposed to be the 'softest' mode,my car can be quite jerky,especially in traffic.
My commute takes in about a mile of walking pace driving,which can have the car lurching,no matter how much i tickle the throttle on application or ease it off when slowing.It's very similar to a learner driver who simply thinks the clutch is a 'switch'.
If I had a lack of clutch control like that,I'd be pretty embarrassed and I think it may stress the components more than a manual.

[ QUOTE ]
I have just purchased a 3 month old a3 2.0tdi s-line in red, with DSG, which Crewe Audi's demo.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wonder if the demo was abused at any early stage of its life? It happens. Sometimes the salesmen borrow a car for a weekend, or, for very good repeat customers, they sometimes loan the car out for a similar amount of time. Consider as well that as a demonstrator, customers and employees alike will want to explore the performance of the car ...

I must admit that I would not buy a demonstrator of any sporty car for that reason but you'd think a TDI A3 would be ok.

I drove a demo of the new Golf GTI and it was generally completely shagged from having had the nuts driven off it by everyone who'd tried it - wheels were kerbed, scratches all over and tyres nearly bald! The salesman admitted he'd never buy it after what it had been through.

I bought my car as demo (although it had only 3900 km when bought), and my friends cars are demos, my moms car is demo.

None have had any problems caused by "ragging" or such. Anyway, of course I wouldn't buy a demo with scratches or kerb alloys. Mine had no scratches what so ever, looked like a brand new, I got brand new tyres as well, and there were no signs that it was ever used.

I didn't buy this demo car though from my local dealer (which offered a worse deal with higher mileage), but from a smaller city.

And I'll probably buy a demo in the future as well, if there's a car that I want. Petrol engine itself won't be harmed anymore than diesel engine from rough drive-in, some would even say that it's good for current engines /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I had a TT 3.2 DSG from November 2003.

In 6 months and 10k the car got through 4 gearboxes. I eventually lost interest and Audi agreed to change the car for a 3.2 manual.

Since I purchased the A3 3.2Q DSG (Lightening does not strike twice) I have had no problems with the gearbox at all.

Steve

Are we talking about major failures (complete loss of drive) or little things that made you go to the dealer and they diagnosed gearbox failure ?

I had yet another 'episode' with my DSG last night.
In manual mode I changed down a gear,then decided to change back up.
I ended up with nothing....
The more I pressed the throttle,the more I got nothing but engine braking and was thrown forward in my seat.
I would liken it to the sort of sensation you get from a seizing engine !
It does sort itself out eventually (say 2-3 seconds),but I was on a dual carriageway at the time and I nearly reached for the hazard lights.
The guy behind me must have wondered why I was slowing down,instead of accelerating.

Is this the sort of thing I should report to the dealer ????

[ QUOTE ]
Are we talking about major failures (complete loss of drive) or little things that made you go to the dealer and they diagnosed gearbox failure ?

I had yet another 'episode' with my DSG last night.
In manual mode I changed down a gear,then decided to change back up.
I ended up with nothing....
The more I pressed the throttle,the more I got nothing but engine braking and was thrown forward in my seat.
I would liken it to the sort of sensation you get from a seizing engine !
It does sort itself out eventually (say 2-3 seconds),but I was on a dual carriageway at the time and I nearly reached for the hazard lights.
The guy behind me must have wondered why I was slowing down,instead of accelerating.

Is this the sort of thing I should report to the dealer ????

[/ QUOTE ]

Most definately, as that's twice bowfer and dosen't sound normal at all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Yup,twice that's happened now.
Try yours tonight,if you don't mind Japper.
Try changing down but immediately changing back up and re-applying the throttle.
See if your car gets 'confused' and 'stalls' for a second or two.

[ QUOTE ]
Yup,twice that's happened now.
Try yours tonight,if you don't mind Japper.
Try changing down but immediately changing back up and re-applying the throttle.
See if your car gets 'confused' and 'stalls' for a second or two.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will go out for a spin now to help out a freind /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Are you using paddles or stick and what gears were you changing between at what speeds ?.

Thinking back at both times it's 'died' (for want of a better phrase) on me,It will have been changing down to third,then quickly thinking 'no,scratch that' and changing very quickly back to fourth.
More likely to be stick than paddle,although I can't actually guarantee that,sorry.
Cheers.

Just seen the following post in 'another' forum...

[ QUOTE ]
Interested to know if anyone else has a dud A3 non-DSG 6 Speed box?

Our 3 month old A3 sportback ate its box last night after less the 3000 miles. Not impressed!! Major mechanical rattling on changing back down from 3 to 2 followed by what can only be described as squealing!

Got it back to the dealer only to find another A3 owner in the service queue, reporting identical failure..not impressed.

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems that manual gearboxes have problems as well as DSG boxes.

[ QUOTE ]
Thinking back at both times it's 'died' (for want of a better phrase) on me,It will have been changing down to third,then quickly thinking 'no,scratch that' and changing very quickly back to fourth.
More likely to be stick than paddle,although I can't actually guarantee that,sorry.
Cheers.

[/ QUOTE ]

bowfer,

Just been out to try and duplicate the problem you have. Despite my best efforts with the stick and the paddles I could not, sorry.

I must comment however that the paddles do not shift as smooth as the stick. Must be the switch behind the paddles that's a little slow in sending the signal /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I would book it in to Speccy cars and see if they have an answer. Other than that you can always do a back to back with mine to see if you feel any difference /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Cheers for trying Japper.
It's actually only done it twice in the 4300 miles I've done,so it's hardly a repetitive problem.
It's just that it's quite 'disturbing' when it does do it.
Thankfully,me wife only uses 'D' so she's unlikely to experience it.
She'd crap herself and pull over.

bowfer
Just the same as Japper, i have just been out in my A3 and I also tried to duplicate your problem and could not. Mine changes from 4th to 3rd and back with not the slightest sign of hestitation. No change in speed and all I notice is the change in engine note and the rev counter moving. Tried with stick and the paddles - both the same.

crewe audi are ok - just lazy and overpriced

got it for £19450 - would have shopped around a bit more but couldnt be bothered as it wasnt my money i was spending - still cheaper than all the others i looked at.

the warrington ausi seemed best customer interest - manchester worst

crewe fell somewhere in between and had an s line

[ QUOTE ]
I get up in the morning really looking forward to driving my lovely A3 with it's DSG...

Must be horrible having to drive a car that you hate so much...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup,can't wait to ditch it and get a manual.

I notice the DSG was on Top Gear again last night, in the TT, and the presenters that didn't like the car still had to agree that the gearbox was "incredible"... all down to taste, I know, but nice to here some others in agreement /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I notice the DSG was on Top Gear again last night, in the TT, and the presenters that didn't like the car still had to agree that the gearbox was "incredible"... all down to taste, I know, but nice to here some others in agreement /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The word Hammond used was 'phenomenal',but he also said something along the lines of "it's still an automatic",which I agree with.

It's an automatic that allows you to play at manual,but it still has all the ultimate control,as witnessed by the fact that it changes up for you when it thinks you've 'had quite enough revs thank you sir'.

One thing that struck me though.
When they were thrashing around on the beach and the rally course,the 'auto change up near red-line' should/would have been very noticeable and intrusive.

It made me wonder if that car had it switched off.

Usually,in that kind of scenario you see any of the testers shouting "I don't want to ****** change up yet!" at the thing,much as I do.

The Ferrari that they tested had a much better paddle box.
For a start,the paddles were on the column instead of the wheel.That's a much much much better idea.
Secondly,the changes were instant with none of the 'blurring' (albeit slight) you get with the DSG.

It was engine note,cut ignition,engine note,if you get my drift.
Not engine note,slight but quick 'blur',engine note,as with the DSG.

It also didn't change up for him when he got near the red line,meaning he could hold the gear he was in.

If he'd tried some of those slides with the DSG,it would have been changing up for him halfway through and making him jerk all over the place.

I would hope the Ferrari has a better gearbox the the humble A3 - it costs considerable more!

I have never been into 'over-reving' an engine, petrol or desiel, perhaps that's why I love the DSG so much. I was always taught that, for normal road use, the best time to change up was at maximum torque not maximum revs.

im sure soon enough one off the tuning companys will come up with a software upgrade that will override the dsg software,letting the control be fully manual with the paddles,so it doesnt change up when it gets near the redline.

[ QUOTE ]
I would hope the Ferrari has a better gearbox the the humble A3 - it costs considerable more!

I have never been into 'over-reving' an engine, petrol or desiel, perhaps that's why I love the DSG so much. I was always taught that, for normal road use, the best time to change up was at maximum torque not maximum revs.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's all well and good,but give people the choice.
When I get understeer I like to 'hold' the understeer with the throttle and reaching maximum revs is sometimes part of that.
I hate the gearbox changing up for me when I don't want it to.
The manual mode is a complete misnomer and that cannot be denied.
It's correct title would be;

Manual mode,but only within certain parameters,after which point we'll take over.

[ QUOTE ]
im sure soon enough one off the tuning companys will come up with a software upgrade that will override the dsg software,letting the control be fully manual with the paddles,so it doesnt change up when it gets near the redline.

[/ QUOTE ]

No sign of it yet and I've been looking.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly... holding revs in the red can never be the best use of power or control, surely? (I'm no expert)

Remove the DSG change up and I'm fairly sure you will hit the rev-limiter. Not much use really, think I'd rather have a new cog than a new engine.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly... holding revs in the red can never be the best use of power or control, surely? (I'm no expert)

[/ QUOTE ]

Right enough,you never see any competition drivers hitting the red-line/limiter,do you.

If you and David R are happy to drive your cars within the 'safe zone',then that's fine and dandy and the 'auto change up' is an irrelevance to you.
However,I'd venture there are many out there,like myself,that hate the fact the 'manual mode' is,in fact,a lie.

Audi do offer a gearbox where you can decide exactly when it should change up or down or hold at a particular point or almost anything else you car to name. It's generally called a manual gearbox.

No as enjoyable to use in my opinion but gives all the freedom in the world.

I not sure there will be sufficient market for a 'modification' to the DSG to warrant the investment. If people don't like the DSG then most will buy the other gearbox offered by Audi.

I know you say that you did not have any choice but surely having the 'right' gearbox on a car is fundamental to choosing the car in the first place.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When I get understeer I like to 'hold' the understeer with the throttle and reaching maximum revs is sometimes part of that.

[/ QUOTE ]

You like to 'hold' understeer with the throttle?. Confused you need more revs in this scenario. I find backing off and thus eliminating understeer far more enjoyable.

I have maybe interpreted your post incorrectly though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I know you say that you did not have any choice but surely having the 'right' gearbox on a car is fundamental to choosing the car in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

To have a manual,I would have had to drop the S-line spec and go for a normal sport or SE,neither of which were of any interest to me.

I thought I could live with the DSG and still think I probably could if manual mode were really manual mode and not some sort of nod towards it.

If I want to drive around on the red line all day,surely that's my choice and the DSG should allow it ?

The manual would,so why the difference ?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

Japper,I like to keep the understeer going so I'm going round the corner in a constant 'drift'.
The revs will naturally increase and I will just let them,even if that means I hit the limiter.
I'll hold it there until I decide it's time to change up.
That's the whole crux of the argument.

I want to decide.
Not the gearbox.

[ QUOTE ]
Speak to Forge Motorsport, chap called Richard Washbrook iirc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been keeping an eye on their website Eeef,but haven't seen anything alluding to them offering a 'fix'.

I suspect a 'bespoke' software modification would be helluva expensive.

But the DSG has been designed to change up when it reaches the red line. That's part of the enjoyment and I for one for not like that to change.

As for wanting the S-Line package thats just an appearance thing. Whilst the appearance of a car is important, surely only if the dynamics are also OK.

The DSG has always been like it is and it's something that can be checked in the first five minutes of a test drive. If you didn't like the way the DSG behaved why on earth did you choose it. Choose another model or even another car that does behave in the way you personally prefer.

[ QUOTE ]
But the DSG has been designed to change up when it reaches the red line. That's part of the enjoyment and I for one for not like that to change.

As for wanting the S-Line package thats just an appearance thing. Whilst the appearance of a car is important, surely only if the dynamics are also OK.

The DSG has always been like it is and it's something that can be checked in the first five minutes of a test drive. If you didn't like the way the DSG behaved why on earth did you choose it. Choose another model or even another car that does behave in the way you personally prefer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Firstly the DSG has not been designed to do that.
It does not do it in some of the VW's it's fitted to,like the R32 for example.

Secondly,looks are all important.
I absolutely hate the 17" OE wheels fitted to the sport and didn't like the optional wheels either (no offence to those that like them).

As I've said before,umpteen times,I wasn't able to test a DSG as the dealer didn't have one.However,I did do a lot of research and thought the DSG would be fine,going by the reports.They all stated it had a manual mode,so why would I suspect it wasn't really a manual mode ?

I haven't been able to find anything in B+W that says the car will change up itself,even in manual mode.

It would be interesting to see what the consumer bodies would have to say about the auto change-up function,as it could be argued it makes the car 'unfit for purpose'.

It's like having a stereo that turns itself down,or a TV that won't let you watch porn.