Volks AutosAH Fabrications
    1st Gear

Status

ChipsAway - good or not?

HI All

Got a series of scrapes on my plastic bumpers - some caused by yours truly, some by a young lass who rear-ended me. Any used ChipsAway before? I saw someone reference them but no one mentioned whether they had actually used them and what they thought.

I have three different scratches:

- very superficial hairline scratch on back bumper in centre with almost no imprint on the bumper
    - wheel arch scuff on passenger's side. gone through to plastic but smooth
    - a series of nasty looking gashes on passenger's side just below fog light. Actually carved into the plastic.

I am getting them out for an estimate this afternoon. Any thoughts? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

2. # ADS
    ADS

imported_DSGSport

Re: ChipsAway - good or not?

I haven't used them before but my Father used them to remove some scratches and dents on his S2000. I think most marks are about 35+ vat to remove. Anything deeper or requiring more work is a little bit more. (this is all from memory) They did a really good job and it looked like new when they had finished so i would give them the [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif[/img]

Neutral

Status

Don't really know yet.

But heard good things about them though...

http://www.tyresmoke.net/ubbthreads/.../page/0#470463

Freezing in Moscow

Status

South London.

Sepang Blue S3

Status

Looks great..

Whats their number?

Also how the hell did he repair that, what procedure...

DM

Neutral

Status

National number is 08000 287 878, but your details then get forwarded to the nearest franchise. In this case, it was this guy called Martin - top bloke 07968 256 486.

Not sure about the finer details, but the process basically involved, cutting the outer side of the crack so it could be pushed in flush against the bumper. Then some mesh was placed behind the crack, whilst in place he inserted this plastic paste into the crack and mesh which hardens and bonds in seconds (he described it as concrete when set). From here he then filled the crack, smoothed over it, mixed up my paint colour (in the back of his van!), blended it, washed it and polished it (i'm sure there is a lot more to it than this but this is my understanding of how he did it - it was magic as far as I was concerned).

He gave me the left over paint so I could use as touch up as well....

Everyone at work was quite astounded by the results - and started getting quotes on all their cars. Think he'll have to spend a week here to get them all sorted! They're cars are a mess! Chipped alloys, bumps, scrapes the lot. I'm sure I could see signs in his eyes when they all started asking about their cars...

Neutral

Status

Some more pics...

1st Gear

Status

damn! that's the bomb. definitely going ahead now...

Top Gear

Status

That is good!! I'll get him to quote me! Gonna call him now!

1st Gear

Status

If anyone lives in the Surrey area the Chipsaway operator I am looking to use is based in Basinstoke - Phone: 01256 331111

Top Gear

Status

Just had Martin (from Chipsaway ) come and quote me for my scratches on my wing (plus a stone chip) and he rekons about 118 (incl VAT). Not sure if that's a good price or not. What do you rekon? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif[/img] Bare in mind that the scratches are no wider than about 1cm bit go from 1/4 way round the wheel arch and down the bumper (just on the edge) for about 6inch!

I think it's a good price plus he said I could drop it off at his house say Friday night and pick it up Saturday morning/midday! Which considering that I'm seeing someone who lives just around the corner from him I think it's a good deal!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif[/img]

I'll take some photos of before and after and post um up... he can get me in next fri/sat!

Neutral

Status

Difficult comparing to what I paid really without seeing it - get the 'before' photos up!

(ignore my last reply to your other post)

Top Gear

Status

I'll get some pictures tomorrow night and post um straight up... Cars not clean tho so you'll have to ignore the muck!

1st Gear

Status

GEt someone else to scratch you and pay for it - the initial cost is the highest (say 100-125 for the first repair) then each subsequent one done as part of the same piece of work is an incremental 25-75 depending on the size/complexity of the scratch/ding/scuff to be repaired. Off course this is going to be tough but drive around in front of young girls who don't pay much attention and you never know...

Top Gear

Status

Mmm nice idea mate but I stick to not having any dints or scrathes on my acr at all if you dont mind!

But the following round of young(ish 18-30) girls sounds like the best idea anyone has ever posted on here!!

And sorry I forgot to take the pics last night.. but I'll do it tonight.

1st Gear

Status

That's an option too. Enjoy the bird watching. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]