Buying an S3...facelift questions

thebluefox

Reaction score
Hey guys,

First post etc :blahblah1:

I'm currently looking at getting an 8P S3 (facelift) but I've got a few questions. I have looked through the FAQ's and buying advice threads but I'm still a little confused on some bits.

First off, with the facelift version, what did they actually update? Obviously the front and rear lights, but the Salesperson at Audi said that all the facelifts have flat bottomed steering wheels too, so I wondered if there was anything else they changed?

Am I also right in thinking the decent RNS-e unit was added after the Facelift was done? At the minute I have a mk4 golf (it has got 200bhp though :blush:) with an Alpine head unit which gives me full access to Artists/Songs/Playlists/Podcasts on my iPod and has handsfree including searching my phonebook on my iPhone. I don't really want to take a step back, but I can't figure out what RNS-e unit does what. I know this is something thats been discussed a hundred times on the forum, so sorry for asking again but I want to be 100% before I lay down thousands on a car that may not do what I want it to.

Sorry if the answers to these questions are scattered through other threads, I have searched quite a bit over the last few days and looked at Wikipedia etc to try and figure it all out.

Thanks guys,

Tom

Hey guys,

First post etc :blahblah1:

I'm currently looking at getting an 8P S3 (facelift) but I've got a few questions. I have looked through the FAQ's and buying advice threads but I'm still a little confused on some bits.

First off, with the facelift version, what did they actually update? Obviously the front and rear lights, but the Salesperson at Audi said that all the facelifts have flat bottomed steering wheels too, so I wondered if there was anything else they changed?

Am I also right in thinking the decent RNS-e unit was added after the Facelift was done? At the minute I have a mk4 golf (it has got 200bhp though :blush:) with an Alpine head unit which gives me full access to Artists/Songs/Playlists/Podcasts on my iPod and has handsfree including searching my phonebook on my iPhone. I don't really want to take a step back, but I can't figure out what RNS-e unit does what. I know this is something thats been discussed a hundred times on the forum, so sorry for asking again but I want to be 100% before I lay down thousands on a car that may not do what I want it to.

Sorry if the answers to these questions are scattered through other threads, I have searched quite a bit over the last few days and looked at Wikipedia etc to try and figure it all out.

Thanks guys,

Tom

IIRC there was a newer haldex system fitted
All S3's - 8P's have flat bottom steering wheels that I know of
RNSE could be ordered with pre Fl iirc,

Not all 8P2's have MFFBSWs but all 8P3's should have.
Black editions came with RNS-E as standard but was an option before that.
Look out for the one with the MEDIA button instead of the CD/TV button, much better LED screen etc.

Haldex Gen 4
Lower CO2
White DIS
Dash cupholder/cardholder deleted
Aircon as standard

Cheers for the reply PopGun,

Not all 8P2's have MFFBSWs but all 8P3's should have.
Black editions came with RNS-E as standard but was an option before that.
Look out for the one with the MEDIA button instead of the CD/TV button, much better LED screen etc.

Cheers for the info Crunchie - when did the change from 8P2 to 8P3 happen? I hadn't realised there's been 4 'versions' of the 8P S3.

Haldex Gen 4
Lower CO2
White DIS
Dash cupholder/cardholder deleted
Aircon as standard

Ahhh, thanks veeeight, I had wondered about the white DIS too.

Thanks for your replies gents. Got a feeling its going to take me a while to find one with the perfect spec.

Cheers for the info Crunchie - when did the change from 8P2 to 8P3 happen? I hadn't realised there's been 4 'versions' of the 8P S3.

There have only been two -

8P2 from circa 06-08
8P3 from circa 08-present

Didn't get an 8P1 i.e double grille

Right! I'm with you now, thanks mate.

(blatantly meant 3 versions in my last post, not 4 btw)

From my own research into RNS-E ..and I'm willing to stand corrected by a more knowledgeable member, I found that whilst it's great with the phone call side of the iPhone...(my A3 has the 9ZU armrest option seen below), apparently it's not so friendly music wise. Bluetooth in the A3\S3 appears to be severely handicapped in the media department.

It's not a foregone conclusion that the S3 will have BT-Low Prep either - see the image, So it's probably a good idea to try pairing your device with your intended purchase and see what media functions you get before you commit buy ...there may be something the dealer is prepared to upgrade free, in order to close the deal.

Good Luck.

I very recently picked up an S3 facelift myself, however from looking at the invoice the guy who had it new paid extra for:

Black styling pack £300
door mirrors auto dimming, folding £444 (waste of money imo, they dont auto fold on door lock)
Adaptive headlights £285
DVD-Navigation plus (RNS-e) £1650
Privacy glass £325
Bose Sound System £440
CD changer £320
GSM phone prep in arm-rest £385
Parking sensors on the front £472

Whether all this now comes standard on the latest versions im not sure...

Either way its an awesome car and you will not be dissapointed :icon_thumright:

Ouch, thats quite some extra list. I'd be very happy if I got one with the same - the only thing missing is Recaro's ;)