BKD Noise From Engine Chamber When Stationary

SAiLO

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi,

Recently my car developed a noise when stationary. It sounds like a there was a loose stone in a metal/plastic can.

The noise comes from the left side of the engine (where the fuel filter is located).

Video below.

Can anyone suggest what's wrong?

Many thanks

I had sounds like these one on mine bkd motor recently.Since i changed clutch+flywheel problems solved.Have you ever changed these parts?

Changed clutch and flywheel two years ago.

how many miles since then?(if you remember),your local garage opinion

Did you find out what this was in the end?? Mine has recently developed this. :(

I haven't been driving much lately since my new job and not had time to deal with it.

Guessing it's the alternator clutch pulley, as the cabin lights are slightly blinking when the engine is running. Around £120 to repair, all incl.

Yeah it does seem to be imho related to the belt/pulley area.

Just an update on this thread:

Replaced alternator clutch pulley with the belt and this cured the problem.

£110 parts & labour.

Changed an aux belt today on a guys car, which had the most horrendous noise as per yours & the noises went straight away, no pulley changed.

Did he have flickering cabin lights when idling?

Yes and that is why I also had to replace the alternator clutch pulley. Such a relief to only hear the good old diesel again.

I have a similar sound on tickover - upto about 1500rpm. I've always thought it was the engine cover as I have some grommets missing. I've just looked and the tensioner is rattling about a fair bit. The belt leading upto the alternator vibrates but it looks to be off the tensioner. Do you think it's the alternator pulley or tensioner. I've just made a vid if that would help.

The belt will be flapping a bit when it's the alternator clutch pulley, you may also be able to observe cabin lights flickering on tickover.

I have a little bit of flicker mainly when I lift the clutch without revs. I sometimes get heavy steering too which I've read could be related too. Another thing I have is a squeak when I start the car which I assumed was the starter. I've read that could also be the clutch pulley too? My vids currently processing on YouTube.

Well if steering is going heavy, light flickers, alternator is definitely one place to check yes, the racks electric so maybe a telling sign.