Taking my A3 to race.

galsjr

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
My question is in regards to taking my A3 1.6 to race tracks. My main question is what would be the best sports brakes and tyres. Im only just getting started going to tracks, so I dont think ill need anything more than brakes and tyres untill I get more into it. (Tell me if ive missed anything I need).
And if anyone know of any decent tracks around the midlands area, that would be so handy. Ive found Donnington and mallory park but just curious if any of you know of any other decent ones.
Any tips you could give on what I can do to my car would be great. Like I said, im new to this so sorry if this sounds like a stupid question.
Thanks

I don't mean this to sound sarcastic but what about a decent engine? 1600 petrol is hardly track potential? Or do you go around in similar sized engined cars?

Brakes and tyres are a good start, are you using this car purely for track days? If so strip the interior out of it, that will make it lighter.

Yeah I know its not the best of engines to race with, as its not my main car and really dont want to be going through the hassle of selling it, so I thought i'd use it to get a general feel for going to the tracks with, and probably go for somthing with a bit more power later on.
I would probably use it for mixture for road and track but most likely strip it.

What are good brands to use for sports brakes and tyres? I've got a general idea but not 100%

Take this with a pinch of salt, but are you for real?!

Not regarding you car, I've had a 90hp Civic round the 'Ring in under 9 minutes, great fun, but regarding your 'how to build a race car' questions.

Please just go and google "A3 performance parts", view the parts, review your budget, and then after searching the net for answers, if you can't find them (very unlikely), then come and submit a well researched post on here.

I'm not normally this harsh, but please see it from our perspective...

Cheers,

Ryan

I just wanted some ideas from people who have done it before, thats why I chose this forum. Ive googled but just wanted to get added views.
Sorry for asking

I just wanted some ideas from people who have done it before, thats why I chose this forum. Ive googled but just wanted to get added views.
Sorry for asking

Don't be sorry for asking lad, if you don't know something you don't know something.

If you're that keen on getting some track experience, just do what you've said, new tyres, decent brakes, reduce the weight and nail the **** out of your 1600 engine around the track, it's all fun at the end of the day, sounds to me as if you want some thrills but don't want to re mortgage your house which is fair enough fella!

You might get a few funny looks of people but sod it, as long as you have a decent time who cares?

Tyres: Toyo R888 / Yoko Advan a048

Brakes: Ferodo DS2500 pads, OEM Brembo Discs, Castrol SRF, Braided Goodrich lines

Suspension: Coilovers

Handling: Fully pollybush kit, thick anti-roll bars

DONE.

I usually drive an RS5 or a Range Rover Cosworth on the road. Im using the A3 just to get a feel for driving on tracks (if I crash no major loss) and will just be just doing uncompetitive track days, then upgrade when/if I decide to do competitive driving.

i_like_this_sticker-p217154438548739863envb3_400.jpg

would love to take rs5 around the track :D
any pics of it?
strip the a3 if it's going to be a track toy, and get some better brake pads, fluid and discs, maybe even bigger brakes. and some sticky tyres.

Hi everyone,
My question is in regards to taking my A3 1.6 to race tracks. My main question is what would be the best sports brakes and tyres. Im only just getting started going to tracks, so I dont think ill need anything more than brakes and tyres untill I get more into it. (Tell me if ive missed anything I need).
And if anyone know of any decent tracks around the midlands area, that would be so handy. Ive found Donnington and mallory park but just curious if any of you know of any other decent ones.
Any tips you could give on what I can do to my car would be great. Like I said, im new to this so sorry if this sounds like a stupid question.
Thanks

you asked for it...You don't really know if you will like to track and how much time you want to spend on it. The only person who should care about your car is you. No reason to impress anyone else. Cars will always pass you whether they have 90 hp or 900. Going to the track is about self enjoyment not showing people how big your p*nis is. There is always a better car on the track no matter what peeps spend on their cars. My advice: just go to the track and learn how to drive with your car stock, take it slow and talk to fellow Audi enthusiasts about mods. Just don't touch the ebrake after lapping. The best part of tracking is watching the drivers. Skill above looks and HP any day of the week.Nothing better than seeing a great driver in an underpowered car kicking some poser ***!

I'm not saying don't track your A3 but if it's a track car you want would be much easier and cheaper to sell it and buy something like a phase 2 172 cup. Uprated the front discs and a decent set of tyres and boom a track day at with cash to spare.

Err.. ignore that 'dislike' had a bit of a phone fail.

Why can't we remove likes/dislikes anyway?

im inclined to agree with the above recommendations mate - the a3 really is a bit heavy for such a little engine, even fully stripped out.. Maybe flog it and buy something a little more suitable with a better power to weight and quicker handling, strip that and you'll have a lot more fun - otherwise I've a feeling you might just end up plowing money into the audi once you've realised it is the definition of understeer...
and +1 on get up some pics of the RS5!

A good learner starting point is a little pug 106 GTI or a SAco VTS. Not going to win any medals but they are sure fun to drive and great to learn in (no esp etc).

What about something lairy like a redtop nova. Obviously suspension and brakes must be uprated to suit.

For the fastest lap times in your 1.6 you need to invest in a pair of trainers and run round the circuit instead pushing it :haha:

As already mentioned, very sticky tyres from Toyo, good race pads and shed weight. Key is to carry speed through corners so the car revs free and light as you exit..

Is it 1.6i non turbo in dolphin grey?
I live 5 mins from donington and have the same car
I have currently updated suspension to coilovers and fitted Yokohama parada tyres which were like 150 a piece for the size wheels I have

Its the standard 1.6 in dolphin grey. Im going to to a track day in it just for a bit of fun, then im looking at some old GTI's to play with . Thanks all for advice. Ive tried uploading picture but slightly unsure how, if anybody can help lol

cheers will do that now, there's a small pic as my avatar

Best forum bit all week:

What's ur main car mate? You may think ur A3 is fast when driving around on public roads, but you'll realize how slow it is when little Citroen Saxo's are overtaking you left and right

Then

I usually drive an RS5

Whole thread tone changes, from 1.6 zero to RS5 hero.

Reactions: poli84