Volks AutosEM Tuning
    3rd Gear

Status

What's that blithering idiot doing...

...in the slow lane of the M6/M42/M40/M23 in an Ibis White A3 at 56mph on a Friday night?

First up, hi if any of you spotted me on Friday evening. And 65mpg is what I was doing. Playing a little game of mpg high scores, and I got 65mpg (67 indicated) over 220 miles.

Any similar stories? Any ideas what the A3s ideal speed is? I'm considering giving it a go on the return journey today, unless I get bored and return to my usual place in the outside lane at 45-50mpg.

Also, driving at 56mph on the motorway has to be the most relaxing way to drive, apart from overtaking an occasional lorry. Takes bloody ages though.
    Ibis White A3 Sportback Black Edition.
    2.0 TDI (170) Quattro
    Pics

2. # ADS
    ADS

Shark Performance In Scotland

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Brodster On Twitter Add Brodster on Facebook
    Best I ever did with my old mapped 140TDI was 62MPG....driving down the A9. It bugged me that much doing such a snails pace speed for 200 miles that on the last 10 miles of the journey on the quiet twisty country roads I let it rip......and it still turned in 62MPG.
    Angelwax/BBS/BCS/Bilstein/Cobra/CTS Turbo/H&R/K-Sport/KW/Loba/Milltek/Shark Performance/Oz Racing/VCDS/Wagner

1st Gear

Status
    yep played that game a few times in the S3...it's late and I cant be bothered so end of poodling about 56-60...great MPG and totally agree very relaxing! It's great if the motorway is totally clear and you can put cruse on and erm bring your feet back toward your seat lol..chilled way to drive
    IceHanger
    2011 S3 8P 5DR Black edition,
    2013 TT TDi BE with lots of toys
    Previous Vehicles:
    Audi S4 B6 4DR Big fuel bill edition
    Audi TT TDi S-line Quattro
    Skoda Octavia 4x4 Turbo,
    Skoda Octavia VRS Estate,
    Vauxhall VX220 Turbo,
    MGF VVC,
    Vauxhall Astra GSi,
    Alfa 33 Cloverleaf,
    Tons of Minis

Old-Boy-Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by audigex View Post
    ...in the slow lane of the M6/M42/M40/M23 in an Ibis White A3 at 56mph on a Friday night?

First up, hi if any of you spotted me on Friday evening. And 65mpg is what I was doing. Playing a little game of mpg high scores, and I got 65mpg (67 indicated) over 220 miles.

Any similar stories? Any ideas what the A3s ideal speed is? I'm considering giving it a go on the return journey today, unless I get bored and return to my usual place in the outside lane at 45-50mpg.

Also, driving at 56mph on the motorway has to be the most relaxing way to drive, apart from overtaking an occasional lorry. Takes bloody ages though.
    Look - we've all done it but you really can't go around talking openly about this sort of thing. They'll take your Audi away if you get outed as an Anorak!

3rd Gear

Status
    Being doing this in the 330 lately after i've realised the diesel on this thing is going to kill me, can get an easy 50mpg at 75mpg on a run The A3 would probably give me closer to 60 at the same speed.
    55' BMW 330Cd M Sport
    The ones that have been left behind:
    • 2004 VW Golf R32
    • 2004 Audi A3 2.0 TDi Sport
    • 2000 BMW 318i M Sport
    Private plate for sale: Y 7RYY

1st Gear

Status
    Best I've got from my 1.8 petrol is 53MPG on a motorway run.

3rd Gear

Status
    I have tried to do it but until I buy a car with cruise control I don't think I will ever succeed. I manage it for a few miles and then my speed just always creeps up. I can cruise at 75 no trouble but 55-60 just feels like I'm about to stop on the motorway!

Shark Performance Lancashire Dealer

1st Gear

Status
    I tried doing the economy style driving for a full tank to see how long i could actually go between refills. With the odd blast here and there throughout I ended up stringing it out for a week and 4 days. Compared to my usual weekly fill up it wasnt a bad return. Cant wait to move house though will hopefully only need to fill up once a fortnight when Im booting it

1st Gear

Status
    At the beginining of the summer I was following alot of polo lorries around so was behind them on long journeys only ever going upto about 60ish, they can go a little faster than normal lorries :D and I got 740 miles out of a tank.. Was very happy however I cannot seem to do this when there aren't any lorries I need to follow..
    Audi A3 2.0TDI Black Remapped, with S3 Exterior, Half Leathers, 18" Alloys, Xenons, Tints, Cruise, Armrest, FBMFSW and RNS-E with BT...
    Have VCDS either around bristol, term time, or beds/cambs during holidays/some weekends..
    16V Classic Mini Mid Engined RWD 1.8VVC http://www.16vminiclub.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=28324

1st Gear

Status
    If I ever get more than 25MPG I will sell the car and buy a bus ticket

3rd Gear

Status
    If you can afford it, that's a great position to be in - if I were doing 25mpg at my mileage I'd be spending nearly a quarter of my income on fuel.

I dodged the anorak thing though, I think - the journey home was at normal speeds apart from a fire on the M23 which stopped traffic for half an hour or so. Anyone know what happened with that? Car looked in a hell of a state.
    Ibis White A3 Sportback Black Edition.
    2.0 TDI (170) Quattro
    Pics