Parott Bluetooth

Eeef

Lord of War
Reaction score
Anyone already got a Parrot bluetooth phone kit?

Any good? Possibly thinking of getting the one with the incorporated bluetooth receiver so I don't have to run a seperate one for my TomTom.

I have the Ck3000 and CK3100.

I think the CK3100 is better just for the ease of upgrading the firmware! (laptop flash over BT).

Both have good sound quality.

My samsung phone requires you to manually accept the connection when the unit is powered.

Because it'll work with just about everything Bluetooth. Voice recognition, nifty little lcd display for incoming call, phone book transfer from your phone.

http://www.spcomms.co.uk/acatalog/Parrot_CK3100_Bluetooth_Car_Kit.html

There's also a 3500 which looks identical, but has a bluetooth GPS reciever. Plan being I'll then pair it with my TomTom on my PDA.

That looks rather good. How annoying - I asked the dealer to fit a bluetooth system to my car when I bought it and (having never heard of a Parrot (bar the squawking kind)) didn't specify what sort. So they fitted a Motorola one which is fine but definitely doesn't have all those funky features with display and phonebook etc.

[ QUOTE ]
Plan being I'll then pair it with my TomTom on my PDA.

[/ QUOTE ]

man, your dash will look like Darth Vaders bathroom (to quote Knight Rider) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Here's the bracket location shots from SP:

630520-4.jpg

652857-4.jpg

653049-4.jpg

dashm.JPG

They're not the same dash as mine, si I'll digging further to see what's best. Some of the brackets look quite large to say they only have to hold a small LCD display!

ah, they're just standard Brodit mount points.

The fitter I went to said it could be put anywhere and quite often they just used industrial velcro to attach it flat to the dashboard...?

I have a suspision it might just fit just above the hazard switch, between the two vents but i'll need to measure up.

I'm sure there's a brodit mount that spans the gap between the two central air vents, if that's any use to you guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I was looking for a proper PDA mount a few months back and Brodit do a mount that fits over the round vents. My ideal would also be for something that fits between the vents - as Japper said - so that that it doesn't block the vent and places the PDA symmetrical in the middle of the dash. Unfortunately Brodit does not have that.

I think I am going to get a sheet of aluminium from the local DIY store and see if I can make something myself. Of course I would also need to make some kind of tool to pry open a small space between the vent and the dashboard where I can squeeze the alu holder (without damaging anything naturally!)

Another problem is what to do with the cables. Ideally, I would not want to see any cables at all, but I also don't want to drill any holes in my beloved dash.

[ QUOTE ]
I was looking for a proper PDA mount a few months back and Brodit do a mount that fits over the round vents. My ideal would also be for something that fits between the vents - as Japper said - so that that it doesn't block the vent and places the PDA symmetrical in the middle of the dash. Unfortunately Brodit does not have that.

I think I am going to get a sheet of aluminium from the local DIY store and see if I can make something myself. Of course I would also need to make some kind of tool to pry open a small space between the vent and the dashboard where I can squeeze the alu holder (without damaging anything naturally!)

Another problem is what to do with the cables. Ideally, I would not want to see any cables at all, but I also don't want to drill any holes in my beloved dash.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the one I meant, and is made by steve schwing in the US. About £15 I think.

Spacing is 123mm and hole dia. is 82mm.

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/garvin/Navman/GadgeTT.jpg

Hope this helps /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Hi - same experience as marriedblonde, and as I look after about 30 phones and kits for work, I'll add to this - no-one with a bluetooth kit is happy with it. Admittedly we havent got the parrot one, weve got nokia in some, and other cars with bluetooth already enabled (SAAB 93, Toyota Prius x 3, etc etc.)

The reason SEEMS to be that the bluetooth kits, while providing decent functionality, do not provide a separate antenna for the cellular function - they depend on the signal that is being transmitted from and received by the handset itself.

The hardwired kits DO have a separately mounted, larger antenna, almost all of which are up at the top of the windscreen, though the BMW has a roof mounted one.

The one most consistent criticism of the bluetooth kits is the constant dropping out.. and none of our hardwired people complain of this.. I didnt hesitate to go hardwired in my own car cos of this (and my previous bluetooth experience) and am very heppy.

However.. I believe Nokia now do a bluetooth kit which is a full cellular phone in its own right and DOES have the extra antenna - simply uses bluetooth to grab the SIM data, and then 'emulates' your handset rather than uses it for the cellular transmission.. but I also understand it only works with a couple of phones (they have to support this SIM reading feature, not the phone book but the full SIM network details) and I havent tried it so cant comment!!

good luck..

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a SE HCB-30 in my old car which always worked faultlessly with both an SE 610 phone and then a Motorola V600. No external aerial though

The current car has a Motorola bluetooth system (quite which I'm not sure) which has an "discreet" integrated phone aerial stuck to the inside of the windscreen which certainly works as in deepest darkest Wales I could only get a signal if I plugged the phone into the holder in the car. Also although it does drop the connection occasionally on long journeys, I'm minded to blame the phone (which is getting a bit elderly) rather than the system as the only fix seems to be to turn the phone off and then on again.

Eeef, if you do put a Parott kit in with the screen, or one without, post some pictures please as I would like to see them. tia

[ QUOTE ]
Dashmount do a T shaped bracket to go between the two central vents

http://www.dashmount.co.uk/march04/71067.htm

I put my tomtom go there with a brodit bracket (tomtom doesn't have a bracket suitable for such a mount) as well. All from Terry at SIO Communications.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have any pics of your TomTom in place? That sounds like the ideal mounting for it.

[ QUOTE ]
cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay - heres a couple of pictures of mount. It is a dashmount (thats the T shaped metal mount right at the back), attached to this is the Brodit tomtom mount and attached to the Brodit is part of the tomtom original mount.

mount1.jpg

mount2.jpg

Heres it with the tomtom go attached

tomtom.jpg

Right hand side screw location - if you can see where the purple OBDII port is, the little square bit in front of it is where one of the screw is (sorry, couldn't get a good shot - it was getting dark).

right.jpg

Left hand screw

left.jpg

Fuse box (third and last screw - that blue wire is where I have my Parrot switched feed. Its just a simple spade connector slotted straight into the fuse connector.

fusebox.jpg

The white bands near the fuse box is electrical tape wrapped around the parrot ck3000 box of tricks taking up excess wire. That box of tricks is then held against the back of the fuse box with cable ties. The rest of of cables is moved towards the center console to hook up to the stereo (for mute, tel speaker +/-, permanent 12v). I didn't put the ck3000 unit behind the stereo as there wasn't much room and the phatnoise cable was quite chunky. The mute and speaker wires for from an adapter from SIO Communications which includes a ISO adapter. You can wire your own if you can find the ISO plug. Terry at SIO also kindly sent over a resistor and shrink wrap as the volume was too loud initially. You simply soldered this inline to one of the speaker wires.

Cheers - thats definitely how I'm gonna mount my TomTom (ooo errr missus). Last question for now - how do you get power to it? I haven't got the unit yet, so don't know what comes in the box (a cig lighter cable I assume) - so how did you route it the the mount?

Your help is much appreciated /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cheers,

-Lou

The tomtom is not hardwired. I have the cable (ciggie lighter) in the arm rest. When it needs a charge I just plug it in to the lighter socket and the back of the mount. I guess you can hardwire it if you wanted to.

One issue I have had is that the BOSE mic for the speed sensitive volume control is behind the middle air vent, so when Jane gives an instruction, the music sometimes gets louder to compensate!.

Not the dashmount part has a little notch in the bottom part (the bit the slots in between the dash). This is to stop the mount sliding out. I got a G-clamp and pressed this down as much as I can to hopefully stop ruining the dash if I had to remove it.

No bending required. As mentioned previously, if you notice the 'press out' on the bottom of the bracket, I flattened this as much as I can (its a notch to stop the bracket jumping out once installed/pushed in). I then hooked the top between the vent control rings and just pushed the bottom in. I did this when I was installing the Parrot BT kit, and had the stereo out as well. Not sure if this made it easier to install.

[ QUOTE ]
No bending required. As mentioned previously, if you notice the 'press out' on the bottom of the bracket, I flattened this as much as I can (its a notch to stop the bracket jumping out once installed/pushed in). I then hooked the top between the vent control rings and just pushed the bottom in. I did this when I was installing the Parrot BT kit, and had the stereo out as well. Not sure if this made it easier to install.

[/ QUOTE ]

My mount is bent like this:

dashmount1.jpg

is that right?

Eeef: No pics to show as I only have the CK3000. No screen - just the two button control module. I placed the buttons on the left side of the steering wheel. The mic comes out of the fuse panel, up the door trim (behind the felt like stuff - just prised it open and tucked the cable underneath). The mic is then brought up the A pillar. Where there is a 'break' in the A pillar trim is where I placed the mic. I straightend a paper clip, wrapped one end around the mic and then tucked the other end into the 'break' in the trim to hold the mic angled at the driver - couldn't be bothered to trail it over the top of the windscreen into the overhead lights. I can get pics of this if you wish?

little_wing: Nope, mine was perfectly straight on the 'mount' part unlike yours.. The brodit mount went right onto this. From your picture, that little piece of black sticking out on the far left is what I flattened using a g clamp.

ak47, can u send a picture of the switch. I'm undecided which kit to go for. What size is the two button switch, would it fit next to a dsg gearstick?

Sorry - issues wit digi cam so no pics yet. Its the CK3000 and the button panel is about 1 inch by half inch. Contains two buttons, one for answer and the other to hang up. I got mine on the dashboard behind the indicator stalk - just visible through the top of the steering wheel. Did consider next to dsg box, but having it high up means I can keep my eyes on the road.

ak47: I can't quite make out from the photo, but which fuse is it you have tapped into for a switched feed?

Eeef: would be interested as well to see where you put the Parrot display - I've had my kit in the boot for months now, but still have not got round to fitting it!

I try and find out tonight

If you can't wait: I just used the screwdriver/electrical thing and tried each empty fuse in turn (on both the fuse sides) to see which one lit up the 'screwdriver' when key was in accessories position and was off when key was in the off position. Guess also which fuse is available will depend on the options you have in the car.

Ok - the fuse I tapped into was fuse number 30, looking at the key on the back of the removable panel, it has no description next to it so not sure what it was actually meant for.

GARTHY : Picture of the switch
parrotcontrol.jpg

Image of where the mic is
parrotmic.jpg

If anyone has installed the mic in the central overhead console, I like to know how it was done.

Thanks ak - that's really useful information. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I can't really put off installing my Parrot kit much longer!

Thanks again,

Toby.