The fastest new shape A3 money can buy, WHAT IS IT???

• Thread starter imported_tobycruse
  • Start date
I

imported_tobycruse

Ok they 3 cars are:

2.0 TDI
2.0 TFSI
and the 3.2

If they all went to AMD and had the maximum tuning done on them possible which would be the fastest?

The 2.0 TDI would get 80bhp and 90lbs/ft
The 2.0 TFSI would get 65bhp and 55lbs/ft
The 3.2 would get 40bhp and 40lbs/ft

The reason i am asking this is i would like to know if a 2.0 TDI could beat a 3.2, both tuned.....

Be nice to know what everyone thinks......

when you say fastest, do you mean the quickest to 60, 100 or fastest speed? remember, some people have fitted a turbo on the 3.2 before now.

My money would be on the 2.0T FSI too.

Just gotta look at a well tuned 1.8T Vs an R. In the straight line the 1.8T would be a fair bit quicker.

And getting close to 550 hp, try that in the TDI or TFSI /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

Yeh all well and good..how much is it gonna cost you though?

To get nice power out of a 2.0T FSI will be a lot cheaper.

That turboed 3.2 looks very very nice! Would a TDI fully tuned stand a chance against that?

Like Mark N said,what s it gonna cost.? 2.0tfsi all the way!! Practicality and functionality without going backruped!!

The supercharger kit VF-engineering is about to release for the 3.2 is indeed an interesting piece.

It will be very similar to the one currently available for the .:R32 , but will be driven off a driveshaft (not enough room on right side of engine, so relocation to where the airbox currently resides is a must), and will incorporate an air/water IC.

Positive aspects re: supercharging (circa 8000 euro):

- no need to lower static CR (thus retaining good throttle response)
- no need to remove head to install
- completely linear power delivery
- rev-hungry by nature (keep stock torque below 3500, big hp gains above, all the way to 7000 rpm).

Negative aspects:

350hp is the most you'll get with stock internals, maybe 400 with a thoroughly reworked head, supersprint headers, cats and exhaust.

Good points re: turbo:

(from HGP, germany, 360 hp non intercooled single turbo 8000 euro, OR 400 hp intercooled single turbo 12000 euro, OR 500+ hp twin turbo 25000 euro)

- lots of torque
- "upgradeable scheme" : start with non intercooled, then move on to intercooled
- psssh psssh for the wastegate addicts

Negatives:

- static CR lowered to 8.5:1 with the use of a thick head gasket = less around-town response
- slight turbo lag
- will enhance the mid-range, not the top-end (question of personal preference, really)
- non-intercooled turbo???
- price

cheers!

Here is a thread on 2 .:R32s, one with an intercooled single turbo (made by eip) pushing very mild boost (4.5 psi) and another with a VF SC pushing around 6 psi.

to the 'tex

I would really love to see more 3.2 FI in europe... here's a guy in Spain (near me!!!) who did a custom SC install on a 3.2 A3, Amazing stuff!:

hope the links work... enjoy!!

btw, my handle on the 'tex is 3dr A3 3.2

Cheers,
Ben

You guys are making my point for me 12000 euro for 400hp? Maybe im off with my exchange rate but....Cant be fuc*in serious. 2.0t period plus if i wanted the 3.2 in the states i could have waited til august. 2.0t will be much cheaper to fully modify.

[ QUOTE ]
Been out today and woul love to add at LEAST 100 BHP to the engine !!!

[/ QUOTE ]

That would have come in very handy for the SL55 that just /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif all over me... jsus that puppy was quick and sounded fuking amazing... albeit a celebrity hairdressers car IMO. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Certainly no the SLK i got STUCK behind then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif why do people buy these cars just to poodle about and hold up people ?

Best twistie lanes in Norfolk and i get stuck behind " Ive just retired and bought myself a SLK" But can only go One speed = SLOW !!! LOL !!

I need more power !
I Need more power !

he-he, same here. company car though, so no mods /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

launch control seems a LOT slower than I first remember, even though it's probably a little faster now!

[ QUOTE ]
I would upgrade my ole 3.2 if i could !!! But there ****** all out there in the UK to Sort it

The A3 Quattro can easily handle well over 300 BHP

in the standard form its a Flippin Row Boat !!!

Been out today and woul love to add at LEAST 100 BHP to the engine !!!

Lead me the way and i will pay !!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, actually, AMD have been playing with a stage 1 VF-Engineering supercharger on a .:R32.

VF's prototype A3 3.2 is coming back to Europe pretty soon. Look up Raj at NS Racing.

So if you don't want to go to HGP in Germany for a turbo (or two), you will still have a supercharger option in the UK.

It won't be "The fastest new shape A3 money can buy", and it certainly won't let you hang with a 500bhp SL55, but it will definitely give a solid 40% power increase.

S-Line, the best answer I can come up with is "watch the US forums". They'll have 350hp DSG 2.0ts in no time.

I remember reading that the DSG is good for 700N/M of torque. That's more than twice the 3.2's standard 320.

In any case I would imagine that a supercharger, with its linear power delivery characteristics would be less harsh on a transmission than a turbocharger.

Nope, sorry Eeef, that's not what I was trying to imply. I meant that I read somewhere that VWmotorsport tested the DSG gearbox (as fitted to A3s) to 700 N/M, using a twin-turbo HGP kit, and that it sustained that particular assault.

In any case, as soon as you start doing stuff like bolting on an additional 40-50% power, while still under warranty, you are taking risks. BTW, and off-topic, warranties in France are "2 years unlimited mileage". Same for you?

I'll try to find the link for you.