Pro's and con's of an S3

smokeymike

Reaction score
Hi guys

I'm thinking of downsizing to a S3 from my A4 Avant 2.0T (220hp). The A4 is fairly economical and I can achieve about 38 mpg at a steady 80+ on cruise on a long run. I also carry 2 road/MTB bikes in the back (I can't be ar**d with roof bars) which fit in with the front wheels taken off and the seats folded flat.

What sort of fuel figures (real life) can I expect from the S3 and what are they like for luggage? Servicing isn't an issue as I have a really good team (Autotechnica in Hull) to fettle the car at good labour rates.

Anything I should look out for on a used one - apart from the obvious signs of it being rogered?

I looked at a Merc C class estate last week but quickly saw the error of my sins - the build quality isn't a patch on Audi's.

All advice appreciated.

One MTB fits in the back of an S3 no issues with rear seats down and both wheels remove, but I wouldn't want to fit two bikes in. It might be possible but you would need plenty of foam between them.

Personally, I like the removable tow ball and bike rack idea as an alternate which you could consider - much easier than roof bars.

Martin

go for the merc, really it wont be as fun but it will be more economical and practical

you could get the S3 Sportback which will give you some more room and 5 doors, but like everyone says the fuel economy is not good.
you could also just go for the 2.0 TDI 170 sportback which again is the same size but will be much better on fuel if you dont mind a diesel?

One MTB fits in the back of an S3 no issues with rear seats down and both wheels remove, but I wouldn't want to fit two bikes in. It might be possible but you would need plenty of foam between them.

Personally, I like the removable tow ball and bike rack idea as an alternate which you could consider - much easier than roof bars.

Martin

Have put 2 road bikes in the back of mine - both wheels off and a sheet of cardboard inbetween the two frames - wouldn't want to drive miles like that tho!