Sky InsuranceAH Fabrications
    Neutral

Status

Pro's and con's of an S3

Hi guys

I'm thinking of downsizing to a S3 from my A4 Avant 2.0T (220hp). The A4 is fairly economical and I can achieve about 38 mpg at a steady 80+ on cruise on a long run. I also carry 2 road/MTB bikes in the back (I can't be ar**d with roof bars) which fit in with the front wheels taken off and the seats folded flat.

What sort of fuel figures (real life) can I expect from the S3 and what are they like for luggage? Servicing isn't an issue as I have a really good team (Autotechnica in Hull) to fettle the car at good labour rates.

Anything I should look out for on a used one - apart from the obvious signs of it being rogered?

I looked at a Merc C class estate last week but quickly saw the error of my sins - the build quality isn't a patch on Audi's.

All advice appreciated.

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    it will cost more to run, more to fix and won't take the bikes...
    VCDS in North Wales
    2007 A6 3.0TDi S-Line Le Mans Avant , adaptive xenon lights, sunroof, privacy glass, towbar, led rears & randomly rear seat airbags
    1999 Honda S2000 , mcb low milage jap import, fully bushed, mugen exhaust <<< for sale! <<<
    2001 Passat TDi 130 Sport < sold!! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/Ste_Nova/Passat/PB140007s.jpg

1st Gear

Status
    One MTB fits in the back of an S3 no issues with rear seats down and both wheels remove, but I wouldn't want to fit two bikes in. It might be possible but you would need plenty of foam between them.

Personally, I like the removable tow ball and bike rack idea as an alternate which you could consider - much easier than roof bars.

Martin
    S3 2003 Avus Silver, Sunroof, Chrome Mirrors, Symphony II, Cruise, Heated Seats, Centre Armrest, Ambient Lights, GTRS Turbo, Forge FMIC, Sports Cats, MillTek, Coilovers ...

Gievf Buckets

Status
    go for the merc, really it wont be as fun but it will be more economical and practical

2007 S3 PhantomSchwartz

Spec | Auto Lights | Black Headlining | RNS-E with 6 CD Changer | Phone Prep | Facelift Tails | MFSW | Cruise | Bluetooth | Adaptive Bi-xenon Headlights |

Mods
    | MY10 Facelift | 75% LED's | Sepang Bronze Facelift Alloys

Plans | LED 3dr tails | BBK Setup | Some BBS | Custom TBE |

Quote Originally Posted by N8
    Yes, but they are OEM Phaeton Helios alloy wheels, not cheap ****e aftermarket piles of poop.

Audi Retrofitter

Status
    North, East, South, West London & Dartford in Kent

My Social Networking

Visit Ash187's Instagram Channel
    you could get the S3 Sportback which will give you some more room and 5 doors, but like everyone says the fuel economy is not good.
    you could also just go for the 2.0 TDI 170 sportback which again is the same size but will be much better on fuel if you dont mind a diesel?
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI
    Dark Headlining, Bose, Alcantara Leather, Lights Pack

MODS:
    S3 facelift, 19" RS6, RS3 Grill, TTRS FBMFSW, A5 S-Line Heated Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights & Wipers, Eibach Sportlines, S3 brakes, Cruise, Pioneer HU, Reverse Camera, OEM Parking Sensors, Auto Folding & Dimming Dumbo Mirrors, LED Tail Lights, S3 Pedals, Tints, Carbon Trims.

Items for Sale
    Read My Blog & Build Thread

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by k1ano View Post
    One MTB fits in the back of an S3 no issues with rear seats down and both wheels remove, but I wouldn't want to fit two bikes in. It might be possible but you would need plenty of foam between them.

Personally, I like the removable tow ball and bike rack idea as an alternate which you could consider - much easier than roof bars.

Martin
    Have put 2 road bikes in the back of mine - both wheels off and a sheet of cardboard inbetween the two frames - wouldn't want to drive miles like that tho!