AH FabricationsSky Insurance
    1st Gear

Status

Anyone run S3 on Falken FK452s?

I used to have these on my TT and I loved them, very good for a so called "budget" Performance Tyre, just wondered if anyone has run them on an S3, I know that they are soft and so you wont get more than 8-10K miles out of them but I always found them to be very good.

I know a lot of people like the Conti Sports on the S3 also, heard a few rubbish things about the Bridgestones
    2009/2010 | Audi S3 Black Edition Ibis White | Black Optics Pack | Fully Loaded | S-Tronic

2. # ADS
    ADS

Rarely neutral

Status
    Bridgestone RE050s are by far the worst performance tyre I have ever used.

Poor overall grip and useless on a wet road.

I'd recommend Michelin PS2 or PS3 as well as the Goodyear F1 Assy.

I currently run Michelins in winter and Toyo R1Rs in summer and I'd avoid budget tyres.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydav2306 View Post
    I used to have these on my TT and I loved them, very good for a so called "budget" Performance Tyre, just wondered if anyone has run them on an S3, I know that they are soft and so you wont get more than 8-10K miles out of them but I always found them to be very good.

I know a lot of people like the Conti Sports on the S3 also, heard a few rubbish things about the Bridgestones
    Yep, I do. Switched from Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta as camskill were out of stock - had read plenty of good things about the 452's and I'm not disappointed. Quiet, grippy and don't seem to be wearing badly at all. I'd probs switch back to the Vred's as they're better in the wet, but not a bad tyre.

1st Gear

Status
    If they are a budget tyre then they certainly dont perform like a budget tyre, all the TT boys used to swear by them. I like the Toyos but like you say no good for the wet. Might just stick a set of falkens on until the really bad weather comes
    2009/2010 | Audi S3 Black Edition Ibis White | Black Optics Pack | Fully Loaded | S-Tronic

1st Gear

Status
    ...just seen the Vred's in stock at camskill for £98 per corner. If I were buying new tyres, that's where my money would be going.
    VREDESTEIN TYRES / CAR / VREDESTEIN ULTRAC SESSANTA - 225/40R18 92Y XL TL 98.50 Car Tyres - MPV Tyres - People Carrier Tyres - 18" R18" - 225/40/18, 225/40 R 18

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S3Alex View Post
    Bridgestone RE050s are by far the worst performance tyre I have ever used.

Poor overall grip and useless on a wet road.
    i've got them on my s2000, they have a very hard sidewall, when it goes it goes big time no issues in the wet though
    VCDS in North Wales
    2007 A6 3.0TDi S-Line Le Mans Avant , adaptive xenon lights, sunroof, privacy glass, towbar, led rears & randomly rear seat airbags
    1999 Honda S2000 , mcb low milage jap import, fully bushed, mugen exhaust <<< for sale! <<<
    2001 Passat TDi 130 Sport < sold!! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/Ste_Nova/Passat/PB140007s.jpg

S3 Pollution Plus+ Edition

Status

Yep, stay away from the Bridgestones!!
    2012 Ibis Black Edition S-tronic S3, 3 Door, Shark Stage 2, MTC Intake Kit, Powerflex Fast Road Dogbone Mount, Full Non Res Milltek Exhaust, Forge Development Intercooler + DV system,
    340bhp Mikes Ibis BE 2012 S3...

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Ste_Nova View Post
    i've got them on my s2000, they have a very hard sidewall, when it goes it goes big time no issues in the wet though
    Mine arrived with a set of these things.

Poor overall plus zero progression and awful wet grip.

I think the Toyos I have on right now (R1Rs which are almost cut slicks )aren't far off those in the wet.

The sidewall is stiff for sure but no more do than the current tyres but I think the real problem is the tread compound which is very hard.

Ads
    License to drive

Status
    FK452s are good and I've been using them on various cars for the best part of 15 years, but they've definitely got a limit. Anything under about 200bhp/200lb-ft and they're fine under hard acceleration, but go over that sort of power and and traction really suffers.
    I've got them on my 2.0TFSI and when it was stock the FK452s were on their limit when accelerating hard from standstill and rolling. But since my stage 1 remap they lose traction a hell of a lot.
    Mines FWD so I guess that makes a difference too.

I won't be buying them again for this car.

Status
    Yeah, Mine has come with these Bridgestones RE05A's and it really hacks me off to be honest!

I had T1R's on my previous S3 8P3 and i struggled to lose grip to be honest, and i often try!

One thing i have noticed with them, I dont know if its the pattern on the tyres but i found they tended to wander and pull.
    The tracking was spot on so i dunno what was going on

Even in the wet if i found them pretty good to be honest.

I had a full set for £400 fitted new.

However.. Although expensive at nearly £600 its gotta be the Michelin Pilot Sport 3's..... or.... as i haven't tried them yet, the Goodyears.
    2012 Ibis Black Edition S-tronic S3, 3 Door, Shark Stage 2, MTC Intake Kit, Powerflex Fast Road Dogbone Mount, Full Non Res Milltek Exhaust, Forge Development Intercooler + DV system,

2nd Gear

Status
    Vred's FTW!

If you have deep pockets then go for Michelin Pilot Sport 3's or Continental Sport Contact 5P's.

I personally don't rate Pirelli at all. Had some P-Zero Nero Rosso's on my old Saab 9000 and they were s**t!
    '02 Audi S3 - 270bhp / 283lb ft - SOLD
    '08 BMW 135i - 306bhp / 295lb ft
    '12 VW Golf GTD 170 - 168bhp / 258lb ft

Status
    My tyre shop had them on their Mk5 GTI and described them as being "marble'y" and go all hard and sketchy.

Neutral

Status
    Having just put a complete set of the Continental Sport Contact 5's on the car and what a difference they make compared to what was on there before. Whether it be sunny or pouring with rain the grip they offer is superb. Previously had Toyo's on my old cars (brillant tyre with tons of grip unfortunatly the price you pay is that they do not last very long at all). Hopefully the Conti's will last longer.

Tyre preference is subjective though, you can quite easily find that although someone highly recomends a specific tyre you may find that it doesn't meet you requirements/expectations as I have found in the past.

Reverse Gear

Status
    + 1 for staying away from bridgestones!

Like you I've ran 452's for a long time including my 3.2 TT and my 330Ci BMW. I like people have said there are better tyres, all depends on your budget. But for the money nothing comes close!

I am also keen to try the Vred's - every time I go to try, I think the price isn't all that different. Add it up over 4 corners and its over £100. Would rather stick to the 452's and spend the £100 on something else

3rd Gear

Status
    GOODRICH g-force low profiler tyres. Best set I have ever owned. Better the. Conti-mich-Toyos..... They are amazing in the wet, they actually have better grip in the wet then dry.