Anyone run S3 on Falken FK452s?

jaydav2306

Reaction score
I used to have these on my TT and I loved them, very good for a so called "budget" Performance Tyre, just wondered if anyone has run them on an S3, I know that they are soft and so you wont get more than 8-10K miles out of them but I always found them to be very good.

I know a lot of people like the Conti Sports on the S3 also, heard a few rubbish things about the Bridgestones

Bridgestone RE050s are by far the worst performance tyre I have ever used.

Poor overall grip and useless on a wet road.

I'd recommend Michelin PS2 or PS3 as well as the Goodyear F1 Assy.

I currently run Michelins in winter and Toyo R1Rs in summer and I'd avoid budget tyres.

I used to have these on my TT and I loved them, very good for a so called "budget" Performance Tyre, just wondered if anyone has run them on an S3, I know that they are soft and so you wont get more than 8-10K miles out of them but I always found them to be very good.

I know a lot of people like the Conti Sports on the S3 also, heard a few rubbish things about the Bridgestones

Yep, I do. Switched from Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta as camskill were out of stock - had read plenty of good things about the 452's and I'm not disappointed. Quiet, grippy and don't seem to be wearing badly at all. I'd probs switch back to the Vred's as they're better in the wet, but not a bad tyre.

If they are a budget tyre then they certainly dont perform like a budget tyre, all the TT boys used to swear by them. I like the Toyos but like you say no good for the wet. Might just stick a set of falkens on until the really bad weather comes

Bridgestone RE050s are by far the worst performance tyre I have ever used.

Poor overall grip and useless on a wet road.

i've got them on my s2000, they have a very hard sidewall, when it goes it goes big time :) no issues in the wet though

super-bowl-bridgestonex-large.jpg

Yep, stay away from the Bridgestones!!

i've got them on my s2000, they have a very hard sidewall, when it goes it goes big time :) no issues in the wet though

Mine arrived with a set of these things.

Poor overall plus zero progression and awful wet grip.

I think the Toyos I have on right now (R1Rs which are almost cut slicks )aren't far off those in the wet.

The sidewall is stiff for sure but no more do than the current tyres but I think the real problem is the tread compound which is very hard.

FK452s are good and I've been using them on various cars for the best part of 15 years, but they've definitely got a limit. Anything under about 200bhp/200lb-ft and they're fine under hard acceleration, but go over that sort of power and and traction really suffers.
I've got them on my 2.0TFSI and when it was stock the FK452s were on their limit when accelerating hard from standstill and rolling. But since my stage 1 remap they lose traction a hell of a lot.
Mines FWD so I guess that makes a difference too.

I won't be buying them again for this car.

Yeah, Mine has come with these Bridgestones RE05A's and it really hacks me off to be honest!

I had T1R's on my previous S3 8P3 and i struggled to lose grip to be honest, and i often try!

One thing i have noticed with them, I dont know if its the pattern on the tyres but i found they tended to wander and pull.
The tracking was spot on so i dunno what was going on :think:

Even in the wet if i found them pretty good to be honest.

I had a full set for £400 fitted new.

However.. Although expensive at nearly £600 its gotta be the Michelin Pilot Sport 3's..... or.... as i haven't tried them yet, the Goodyears.

Vred's FTW!

If you have deep pockets then go for Michelin Pilot Sport 3's or Continental Sport Contact 5P's.

I personally don't rate Pirelli at all. Had some P-Zero Nero Rosso's on my old Saab 9000 and they were s**t!

My tyre shop had them on their Mk5 GTI and described them as being "marble'y" and go all hard and sketchy.

Having just put a complete set of the Continental Sport Contact 5's on the car and what a difference they make compared to what was on there before. Whether it be sunny or pouring with rain the grip they offer is superb. Previously had Toyo's on my old cars (brillant tyre with tons of grip unfortunatly the price you pay is that they do not last very long at all). Hopefully the Conti's will last longer.

Tyre preference is subjective though, you can quite easily find that although someone highly recomends a specific tyre you may find that it doesn't meet you requirements/expectations as I have found in the past.

+ 1 for staying away from bridgestones!

Like you I've ran 452's for a long time including my 3.2 TT and my 330Ci BMW. I like people have said there are better tyres, all depends on your budget. But for the money nothing comes close!

I am also keen to try the Vred's - every time I go to try, I think the price isn't all that different. Add it up over 4 corners and its over £100. Would rather stick to the 452's and spend the £100 on something else

GOODRICH g-force low profiler tyres. Best set I have ever owned. Better the. Conti-mich-Toyos..... They are amazing in the wet, they actually have better grip in the wet then dry.