AH FabricationsBadger5
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SCFC_Messiah

Thread: s line lowering advice?? i know a nothing!!

bjw
    Reverse Gear

Status

s line lowering advice?? i know a nothing!!

Right after just joining and reading some old threads trying to find out about lowering im baffled and would be v gratefull of of all your advice as everyone here seems to know more than me...i have a 56 plate black a3 170 s line i want to lower it with out my teeth dropping out when i drive!! It has 64k on clock is just changing springs ok??

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    I have the exact same car as you, age and model, and have lowered it on H&R 50mm lowering springs. All I changed was the springs. Aesthetically it looks much better and handling has improved - and although it is a firmer ride it really isn't bone shaking. I'd recommend

Check out pictures here if interested - Garnet S-Line - Messiahs TDi 170

Also worth considering spacers if your still on the standard S-Line rims. I went with 12mm on the rears and 10mm on the front

bjw
    Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SCFC_Messiah View Post
    I have the exact same car as you, age and model, and have lowered it on H&R 50mm lowering springs. All I changed was the springs. Aesthetically it looks much better and handling has improved - and although it is a firmer ride it really isn't bone shaking. I'd recommend

Check out pictures here if interested - Garnet S-Line - Messiahs TDi 170

Also worth considering spacers if your still on the standard S-Line rims. I went with 12mm on the rears and 10mm on the front

Thanks that def looks alot better are they 50 all round?...how many miles had your car done when you had springs fitted?

bjw
    Reverse Gear

Status
    [IMG]IMG_1040[/IMG]

1st Gear

Status
    Fairly high miler, 98k. They were only fitted a few weeks ago so can't comment on whether the stiffer ride will add any extra strain to the ageing suspension parts that I didn't upgrade. I read that on an S-Line your safe just changing the springs because the dampers etc. are good enough to cope with the stiffer ride. So I think you'll be ok

Yep, the 50mm H&R springs only actually drop an S-Line by around 35mm all round. The quoted 50mm drop is based on a sport/se A3 which is around 15mm higher than an S-Line as standard

The other option you have beside H&Rs are Eibach Sportlines. They drop the car a little less on the rear though, so it gives the car more of a nose down look. Apparently they're a slightly softer ride too
    bjw likes this.

bjw
    Reverse Gear

Status
    I rang a (wont name them) retailer today and they said at 64k id need coilovers so thanks for that as have just bought the car and fitted RNSE CHROME i dont want to spend that kind of £££ just fitting springs would be lot better for me

Ads
    License to drive

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bjw View Post
    I rang a (wont name them) retailer today and they said at 64k id need coilovers so thanks for that as have just bought the car and fitted RNSE CHROME i dont want to spend that kind of £££ just fitting springs would be lot better for me
    They've just given you the generic response of "if your shocks have done more than 50-60k then they'll need to be changed", which isn't true. It depends what condition they are in.

My car had done over 50k when I had Eibach Sportline springs fitted (50mm/40mm drop, front/rear) and my shocks are still fine almost a year later.

bjw
    Reverse Gear

Status
    Do you have any pics of your car after the drop?sounds like im gonna risk it and just go for springs now tho thanks

4th Gear

Status
    Im just in the process of doing the same as ADS, I ordered some Eibach Sportlines springs from Germany as they only lower the car 5mm if that on the standard S-Line setup. One of my previous cars had Eibach Sportlines on it for over 60K (the shocks were eventually on about 90k) and it was still spot on ride-wise. I think most problems with aftermarket springs seem to occur when they are cheap, rock hard &/or stupidly low so they tend to wear the damper at an accelarated rate.
    TDI PD170 S-Line Sportback... 191.2bhp & 290lb/ft torque @ standard with an iffy turbo! No idea with the new one or Shark Stage 1 remap installed, DPF off Stage 1 ready to go, Suspension & wheels to be fitted... Still....

Ads
    License to drive

Status
    Do you have any pics of your car after the drop?sounds like im gonna risk it and just go for springs now tho thanks
    Plenty of pics here mate, from post #78 ----> My SPORT to S-LINE Conversion (Part No's, Prices & Tips included)...

Quote Originally Posted by max69vk View Post
    Im just in the process of doing the same as ADS, I ordered some Eibach Sportlines springs from Germany as they only lower the car 5mm if that on the standard S-Line setup.
    That'll be Eibach Pro springs then. They lower 30mm below standard height, so s-line already being 25mm lower than standard means you only get a 5mm drop. The sportlines will give you a 25mm/15mm drop front/rear on an s-line.

1st Gear

Status
    Sportlines will lower an S-Line considerably more than 5mm. You sure you haven't ordered Eibach Pro-Kit springs? They offer a 30mm drop on standard A3s, so around 10-15mm on an S-Line.... Or did you mean to type 5cm?

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Ads View Post
    That'll be Eibach Pro springs then. They lower 30mm below standard height, so s-line already being 25mm lower than standard means you only get a 5mm drop. The sportlines will give you a 25mm/15mm drop front/rear on an s-line.
    I was under the impression there's only a 15mm difference between standard an S-Line, not 25mm?

Ads
    License to drive

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SCFC_Messiah View Post
    I was under the impression there's only a 15mm difference between standard an S-Line, not 25mm?
    Nah, you're thinking of a Sport. It goes...

Standard/SE = no drop.
    Sport = 15mm lower than standard.
    S-line = 10mm lower than Sport (which equals a 25mm drop on standard/SE).

bjw
    Reverse Gear

Status
    so 50mm spring will drop it 25mm??

Ads
    License to drive

Status
    so 50mm spring will drop it 25mm??
    On an s-line, that is correct.

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Ads View Post
    Just double checked & they're defo Sportlines so it looks like I'm getting more of a drop than expected then. Result
    TDI PD170 S-Line Sportback... 191.2bhp & 290lb/ft torque @ standard with an iffy turbo! No idea with the new one or Shark Stage 1 remap installed, DPF off Stage 1 ready to go, Suspension & wheels to be fitted... Still....

Ads
    License to drive

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by max69vk View Post
    Just double checked & they're defo Sportlines so it looks like I'm getting more of a drop than expected then. Result
    You'll be seeing a drop of up to 25mm then.