Mapping out EGR

rickyquicky

Reaction score
There's been a hesitation on my A3 (PD140) that was happening around 1500-2100rpm on part throttle.

After various attempts to fix the problem, it turns out that by disconnecting the vacuum pipe to the EGR cures the hesitation completely.

I'm not going to leave the vacuum pipe disconnected as its going to throw an EML up, so i'm going to try a blanking pipe with the hole in the middle like a reducer to restrict exhaust flow back into the system.

Hopefully this will cure both the hesitation AND prevent an EML, if this doesn't work and I have to completely blank it all off, how do I go about 'mapping' the EGR out?

I already have an AMD remap and they want £150 to disable the EGR, is it possible with vag-com? And if so, anyone in the south east fancy doing it for me!!? :beerchug:

Has to be mapped out by a tuner, cant be done via vcds & dont blank of at the vacuum end, just stick the metal plate in line of the egr exhaust pipe connection for now to test it more, so the egr still opens & closes until you can afford the map, shouldnt affect the car with the mil on for that afaik for short periods or atall tbh.

Thats because they were doing the map at the same time, but doing the egr map on a seperate occasion takes up there time so why shouldnt they charge, common sense prevails.

What Nige said ^^^

You still need to read the ecu, modify the file and then re-load it.

Exactly, with all respect, time isnt free no matter which way you look at it & the reason why people are in business, wish some people would understand that fact, instead of expecting everything for nothing all the time.

And NHN, I'm not expecting anything for free, I just can't justify £150 to map the EGR out when there
are potentially much cheaper options...

It wasnt directed at you.

Let me ask you this, how much time have you honestly spent on the problem, I'd hazard a guess a fair few hours, time = money, so £150 isnt exactly a huge amount if you can afford to map the car in the 1st place :p, but I would try to ascertain what the issue is with the egr system 1st as you may spend the money for the map & still find issues, always best to map egr out on a car that doesnt have existing issues.